Stocking A 30 Us Gallon Aquarium

RegalTang

Reaction score
Hello guys. Im wondering how you would stock a 30 US gallon aquarium. Would this work

- Bi colour or flame dwarf angelfish
- Common clown (sorry unsure of correct name)
- Purple firefish
- Flame hawkfish
- Royal gramma

Is that overstocked?

That would definitely be max, what kind of filtration do you have? Sump/Refugium?

I am only in the planning stages at the moment. If I can find a supply of live rock and RO water and all that, I will do a FOWLR. If not, I am looking into using a wet/dry or external filter, although there isnt much info on them so its hard going. Not planning a sump or refugium.

That would definitely be max, what kind of filtration do you have? Sump/Refugium?

I am only in the planning stages at the moment. If I can find a supply of live rock and RO water and all that, I will do a FOWLR. If not, I am looking into using a wet/dry or external filter, although there isnt much info on them so its hard going. Not planning a sump or refugium.

I would definitely look into a sump. Might save you some headaches for a full stocking. :good:

I have a spare 2x1x1 glass tank, im sure I can turn that into a sump.

If worse came to worse would it be posible to run a marine tank with a filter? Maybe with less fish? Like a clown, dartfish, royal gramma and one other?

You can see I will do anything to have some saltwater fish, whatever it takes lol

It's plenty possible to have the tank with just an external filter, but for heavier stocking it's best to have a sump for the addition water volume. IMO it's better to use a sump regardless of your stocking, but that's not always possible for everyone. So yes, without a sump you probably want to consider leaving out a fish or two (size being the variable).

It's plenty possible to have the tank with just an external filter, but for heavier stocking it's best to have a sump for the addition water volume. IMO it's better to use a sump regardless of your stocking, but that's not always possible for everyone. So yes, without a sump you probably want to consider leaving out a fish or two (size being the variable).

Thanks for the fast replys and info. I have no problem adding a sump seeing as I already have the tank. It will give me an extra 10 gallons of water. Im just wondering what is the best way to get water to the sump without drilling the tank? I think I can remember from a book that you can buy a plastic thing, I think its an overflow, that goes on the side of the tank and it pulls water down to the sump and then a pump for the return. But what happens if the overflow stops and the pump keeps going, wont the main tank overflow?

Sorry if that makes no sense.

Yep, an overflow box would be the solution. My current tank uses an overflow box and I must say, I've always wished I had drilled the darn thing; my next tank is being drilled. Don't rule that option out!

If the siphon on the overflow stops: The pump would keep going, so yes you would end up with a dry sump and an overflowing tank. That shouldn't be a problem, however, but when first set-up I was totally paranoid about mine.

The electricity has gone out many times whilest the tank has been set-up. The pump turns off, the water keeps siphoning until it drops too low for the water to enter the overflow box. The excess water goes into the sump and all is well. Every single time either I, or the forces of nature, have turned the pump off, the overflow has retained its siphon so don't worry about the siphon stopping that way. The only common way I can think of the siphon just stopping, is for the overflow box or tube to be physically hit.

Pretty basic overflow box here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18358

WOW thanks for being so helpful. I am going to be so paranoid for the first month checking it every 2 seconds lol

stocking wise, would this be ok? does it sound like a nice mix that would get along?

1 Clownfish (are they OK alone?)
1 Purple OR Red firefish
1 6 Line wrasse (would be the last in the aquarium)
1 Royal gramma
1 Lemon peel Dwarf Angelfish

I have changed my mind on the angel becuase there are already alot of red/orange fish on my list and a yellow fish would be a nice addition. and the hawkfish as I read they are better suited to a reef set up.

A 30 gallon? I failed every single time I tried with a 30. My 50 gallon is MUCH more productive than my 30 gallon ever was.
My problem was overstocking the small tank.

Not to mention, but six-lined and slippery dick wrasse are extremely hardy. Heck, probably twice as hardy as any damsel is.

Most reactions

Back