Step By Step Guide - Riccia And Java Moss

i know theres an ebay seller selling duckweed riccia and salvinia all mixed together, it might of been that, remember to read the ads carefully ;) ebay has some good pure riccia sellers.

:good: Hi Jimbooo.

You're kind a respected around here so I will believe you,but I bought the moss off this site and the guy said he had never had duckweed in his tank and that if I put the riccia/duckweed/whatever on a windowsill then it would turn into the riccia we all know and love in about 7 days !!

I sent him a snotty PM but then ended up apologizing.

It's only cost me £3,but it's so disappointing.
I thought we were all friends on this forum ?

Guess I ought to get out and find a real friend.

Take it easy.

p.s. i have just ordered some PURE Riccia from Ebay and shall have fun with it once I find out where you can buy nylon hairnets from !! :shifty:

Malfie.

shame shame on who ever sold you this,, especially on this forum... they should know better..

I'll admit that I sold it, in good faith. I have never put duckweed into my tank, and as such, believed it to be riccia.

I bought Riccia from Tropical Aquarium Plants. Put it in my tank and left it. It grew and I had a nice riccia mat for a while. Then the cories started nibbling at it and it ended up floating.

Then, when it was floating, lots of these plantlets appeared, which I assumed to be more riccia. I left it float and it did grow into more riccia.

So, if indeed it is duckweed, could someone please suggest how it may have got into my aquarium? As mentioned, I have never put duckweed into my aquarium so am at a loss as to how it could have got there.

Any thoughts?

Martin

I'll admit that I sold it, in good faith. I have never put duckweed into my tank, and as such, believed it to be riccia.

I bought Riccia from Tropical Aquarium Plants. Put it in my tank and left it. It grew and I had a nice riccia mat for a while. Then the cories started nibbling at it and it ended up floating.

Then, when it was floating, lots of these plantlets appeared, which I assumed to be more riccia. I left it float and it did grow into more riccia.

So, if indeed it is duckweed, could someone please suggest how it may have got into my aquarium? As mentioned, I have never put duckweed into my aquarium so am at a loss as to how it could have got there.

Any thoughts?

Martin

firstly thanks for commenting in this thread martin. i have had the same experience myself, a batch of riccia i bought from the LFS looked 100% pure when i bought it then a month later i had duckweed everywhere. on returning to the store i looked at their display tank (where they grow the riccia for sale) and it too was infested with duckweed.

if one tiny bit of duckweed got into your batch it will mix with your riccia as they both float and it will be impossible to seperate.

this sounds like an honest mistake but for future reference riccia looks the same whatever size it is. your riccia and duckweed just grew together at the same rate resulting in the current situation.

Jimbooo

:good: Thank you Jim for giving your views concerning this matter and sorry to you Martin for thinking you were dishonest.

On a brighter note I received my new batch of Riccia yesterday and shall have fun with it in the morning (three days off - Yay !!).

Regards to you all.

M.

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at riccia, which I think is the dwarf variety (first page pic of the two is great, but impossible to tell which one you have when you only have one variety in front of you! (Maybe a pic with a scale! :nod: )

It is mounted on a piece of sandstone with loofer netting (Great suggestion, you get miles of it for a couple of $$!!)

I found the easiest way to get an even spread of riccia on the surface was to:
1. Put enough riccia into a bucket of water so that it forms a 1cm thick layer, then
2. Sink the surface you want to cover, let the riccia settle so that the thickness is even, then
3. Reach in and slowly pull the surface out vertically to give a nice even coat!

Any problems with what I have done?

p1020444ps5.jpg

This looks like its gonna be ace, Any Chance you could give us an update on this?

hi im going to get some riccia for my new planted aquaqube i want to tie it down but i dnt have slate can i use a normal flat plate and just cover it with riccia and out a harinet over
i will hide the plate just under the gravel will this work

plate as in dinner plate? in theory it shouldn't be a problem but you really need to look harder. You've probably got some slate in your back yard. all garden centres will sell slate, most good LFS. your roof may even have slate tiles on (or your neighbors) they have a habit of falling off!!

for asthetic reasons find some slate, it will look much better.

garden centres will probably just give you a piece as they normally sell by the bucket load rather than just one piece.

plate as in dinner plate? in theory it shouldn't be a problem but you really need to look harder. You've probably got some slate in your back yard. all garden centres will sell slate, most good LFS. your roof may even have slate tiles on (or your neighbors) they have a habit of falling off!!

for asthetic reasons find some slate, it will look much better.

garden centres will probably just give you a piece as they normally sell by the bucket load rather than just one piece.
i kno i can get skate but can i use a dinner plate and judt hide it under the gravel so all you can see is the riccia

Most reactions

Back