Step By Step Guide - Riccia And Java Moss

well if u want i know people who could sell you some but shipping is 4.05 for priority shipping

thats fine, i saw on ebay people in the UK have it and shipping would be $8+ how fast is priority shipping? 2-5days?

8+ for shpping ? Uk shiped to usa isnt much worth it jus to tell you.. first the riccia may not make it.. what about the customs? and i heard from somewhere that riccia is half noxious weed

im in NY too i could see you some but i got the dwarf riccia

Hi Jimboo,

Does java moss develop any roots at all? I was just worried about having to possibly clean the gravel underneath (after its established) and whether its worth putting any ferterliser substrate under the areas where Java moss or Ricca are.

Tropicaltone

im not jimbo but i could answer it if you dont mind ^_^ java moss have roots but they need to be attached to something and riccia dont have roots, its a free float plan. both need to be tied to something or they will float away

Thanks Frozenbarb, I want a carpet which will have roots so they can draw nutriant from the plant substrate plus I wont have to take them out to vac the Gravel underneath.

Could I use Gravel tidy mesh for the base to attach the Java Moss to (Using fishing line) ? Hopefully the Roots would eventually grow through the mesh and into the substrate.

What do you think?

depending on the lights i would say dwarf grass or HC is the Best or micro swords or get a big slate and put riccia on it like jimbo

sorry for the brief reply. java moss has roots of a kind in that they anchor themselves to an obvect. they dont however go into the substrate. As frozenbarb said there are better options if you want a rooted plant. glosso is another option to add to the list above.

i've ordered both java and ricca how do you keep it if your not putting it into a tank right away, and is there any way to make it multiply out of the tank, ie in a tub of tank water say on a window sill etc

jake

Hi Jake,

you've answered your own question correctly.

bowl of water near a window. if you put it right on the wondowsill you may have algae problems. as long as it gets some sunlight then it'll be fine for up to a week i'd say.

Hi there.

I have just taken the plunge and bought a clump of Riccia.
It arrived today and I have placed it in a dish of de-chlorinated water,but LOOK - is this duckweed or just immature Riccia ?

Done a bit of research on duckweed and I don't want it in my tank - primarily as I need all the light I can get.

The seller of the item says that the floating stuff is 'baby' Riccia.Guess I should believe him,but I want to make sure.

Any comments would be great.
Thanks.

987cc994.jpg

Hi there.

I have just taken the plunge and bought a clump of Riccia.
It arrived today and I have placed it in a dish of de-chlorinated water,but LOOK - is this duckweed or just immature Riccia ?

Done a bit of research on duckweed and I don't want it in my tank - primarily as I need all the light I can get.

The seller of the item says that the floating stuff is 'baby' Riccia.Guess I should believe him,but I want to make sure.

Any comments would be great.
Thanks.

987cc994.jpg

Looks like duckweed to me...looks nothing like my riccia

wow that dude is grimmmy... selling duckweed as riccia
that is so messed up lol

i kinda like duckweed it gives a nice look to the tank, who sold you the "riccia" on aquabid or what?

didnt you do research on how dwarf ricccia looked like?'

how much was it

Most reactions

Back