Starfish Regeneration

rictheredneck

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
everyone knows that starfish can regenerate lost limbs and some species can regenerate as long as part of their body/disc is still intact, are any of these species easilly available to the aquarist, has anybody witnessed it? is it un ethical? how is it done, scalpel?

forcing mutualation i would of thought wouldhave negaive effectsd. Are you trying to reproduce the starfish?

everyone knows that starfish can regenerate lost limbs and some species can regenerate as long as part of their body/disc is still intact, are any of these species easilly available to the aquarist, has anybody witnessed it? is it un ethical? how is it done, scalpel?

All starfish can regenerate limbs if they lose one. If a limb gets broken and part of the central disc is attached to the limb you will actually get a second starfish. This is why in austrailia they were having a problem with the crown of thorns eating the coral reef. So the divers went down and cut them up, but of course instead of depleting the crown of thorns population all they did was increase the population because many of the pieces grew new starfish. However, I don't think it is right to cut up your starfish to see if it will do it. I have seen it though I earned my BA in Marine Biology at U of Hawaii Hilo.

Scubagirl

All starfish can regenerate limbs if they lose one. If a limb gets broken and part of the central disc is attached to the limb you will actually get a second starfish. This is why in austrailia they were having a problem with the crown of thorns eating the coral reef. So the divers went down and cut them up, but of course instead of depleting the crown of thorns population all they did was increase the population because many of the pieces grew new starfish. However, I don't think it is right to cut up your starfish to see if it will do it. I have seen it though I earned my BA in Marine Biology at U of Hawaii Hilo.

Scubagirl

so is it all species that can generate another whole new starfish if part of the disc is intact? thanx for the info!

Most reactions

Back