Staffie/boxer Pup Wanted

If you read up on the history of the dogs and what they were bread for i.e fighting. id not trust them no matter what anyone says, they used to hang them from trees by there jaws to toughen up there mouth muscles, now if they grab your child..... i always read up on animals before i get them. If someone told me that a lion was ok friendly good with kids as was born captive and raised as so, id not trust them either as its in there blood to kill.
same as lurchers were used to catch rabbits, its in there genes. i studdied all this stuff at college too, you may be right your particular dog may never turn, but personally id not take the risk with my own son
------
Now your just being silly comparing a lion to a dog lol, all dogs were bred to do something its what they were for...
Cats fight with other cats all the time and attack more humans than what dogs do the difference is dogs can do more damage, but if brought up properly there wouldnt be any problems you obsviously have some sort of fear of dogs or you just dont like them for some reason. Mostly all dogs were bred to have a purpose, whether it be guarding or hunting or rescue dogs it dosent take studying to realise this its all common knowledge....

I dont want to argue but ive grown up with dogs all my life, have had 3 so far in my lifetime and hate it when people like yourself give them a bad name just because theyre dogs, its just silly.

Of course your gonna get some bad dogs out there but thats nature all animals and even humans are exactly the same...

[/quote]

Staffys was bred to fight other dogs and tend to be dog aggressive, as you say read up on them they are great with people, I had a staff that was great with my nipper, my mums staffXold tyme bull dog great, my granddads jack and collie on the other hand would not be able to be around her.
[/quote]

Staffys are not dog aggressive by nature that is the way they have been raised, if you go back through the history books you will see staffies referred to as Nanny dogs, they can be and are excellent with kids if raised properly. Yes I do know what I am talking about, I have done dog rescue for years. I homecheck foster and rescue mainly giant breeds but have covered everything from chihuahuas to danes over the years. Personally I would rather see a staffie puppy and kid being raised together than a boxer as boxers are hyper when yound and dont care what they bounce over or on where a staff would look out for a kid.
There are several breeds I would never recommend to be homed with young kids but staffies are not one of those. Oh and for anyone who thinks I am just a staffie fan I actually keep german shepherds and Newfoundlands and have kept mastiffs in the past as my own dogs.

The staffordshire bull terrier is only one of two dogs that are listed as affectionate to children by the kennel club and this is from the people that really know what they are on about.
I have a two year old female staffordshire and a 14 month old daughter and they are totally inseperable, they really are very affectionate with children and also very protective of them.
Other animals are a problem however, my dog is fine with all dogs that she was brought up with (brothers, dads etc) but likes to be the pack leader, but if she ever meets another dog when out walking she will not even glance at it until you meet one that snaps at her! them i'm afraid she has a short fuse.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier was used on bulls and the like in it's original job. Their strength and size made them the most likely candidate for handling something as big as a cow or bull. Add in their willingness to please their owner and their never-say-die attitude, and you've got a dog that'll run right in there and do his job, then come back grinning the famous pittie grin and waiting for a simple, "Good dog." Then bad people decided to use this very drive to manipulate the dog, switch the bulls for other dogs, and voila, you've got dogs that'll fight each other for money. If there's one thing about dog fighters that's actually good, it's that they'd cull any dog that showed a sign of human aggression. The handler has to be able to go into the ring and collect his dog without fear of being bitten, so anyone who showed aggression went to meet Jesus.

The dogs that do bite humans have been badly abused or neglected, and it doesn't matter what breed. The pitties do more damage because of their nature to finish the job, regardless of who started the fight. Get a dog that's lived a normal life, and you have no reason to worry about him in the future. However, it is true that ALL owners of pitties and pitty-mixes have to understand the dog's willingness to please and drive to finish their job. Which means that owners can't take their dogs to dog parks, because if another ill-mannered dog decides to start something, you'll end up with one injured pooch, and another condemned one (because he's a pittie, of course!). It's nothing to be afraid of, refraining from taking your dog to the dog park. You can't take hounds or whippets either, due to their drive for scent (if he smells something great, he'll follow it until he loses it, going completely deaf to your commands. They can travel for miles without realizing it). Greyhounds and Whippets are sighthounds, so if they see something that they want to chase, then by God, you're not going to be able to catch him. You can try, but he's not going to be caught until his quarry is gone. These dogs can be very well trained, but once they get distracted by the very things they were bred for, then they're impossible to get control of until the distraction has gone away.

regardless of what the kennel club etc....say, if you owned a staffy and it bit someone who would you blame? I would put money down that you wouldnt blame yourself.

regardless of what the kennel club etc....say, if you owned a staffy and it bit someone who would you blame? I would put money down that you wouldnt blame yourself.

But that goes for any dog ... and personally, I would blame myself. I did when our Golden Retriever/Terrier cross bit someone

Well apparently Zeus is a boxerXstaffie

Here he is when he was a puppy:
7349961b.jpg

c551cbfc.jpg

a3d0b666.jpg

Here he is now (just took these):
SDC10526.jpg

SDC10519.jpg

SDC10517.jpg

I've been bought up around boxers my entire life.
They will not harm a child unless they've been bought up the wrong way.

Zeus met a 4 year old girl for the first time a couple weeks back... yes he was very excited but he would be he's only 2, but as soon as she sat down he could not leave her alone, gently sneaking up onto the dining chairs and kissing her all over.
So now tell me that's dog that'd kill a child.

Another grat dog for babies, Labradors, was the first dog I ever saw. There's a video of my cousins when they were 2 climbing all over him while he lays there.

awww what a lovely dog, zeus is just lush
I have two boxers one ive had since puppy and a rescue girl whos five, my neighbour brought her baby round and i totaly trust mine 100%
very gentle dogs indeed, Its the way you bring them up, they are not born to hurt people they are pack animals and need to be taught they are bottom rank, then kids then adults, its when the wrong type of people get certain breeds as a status, this is when things can go wrong.

I've also noticed girl boxers are well not bouncy atall compaired to my Zeus. *had 4 female boxers before zeus*

Zeus was a rescue dog.
Mums was apart of Boxer Rescue, then she left but we said yes to caring to the mum and 5 puppies she had. They were dehydrated and everything.
Gave them away for free, but Zeus *known as Bailey at the time* came back and I said to my mum no matter what we are keeping him :D
I said it from the start that he was my dog! And I got him, also a little bit of hocus pocus, our boxers were called the Lionhearts, Kayla our 4th had a heart shape on her neck and Zeus has a sort of heart shape on his nose, a sign or what?!

Well I loves him to bits, my buby boy, even though he does weigh 4stone!
Unsure what his dad is... so we shall probably never know what he is except part Boxer...

Same old story... :rolleyes:

i.e...staffy / rottie / german sheperd etc etc etc. not being sociable around kids.

My family used to breed german sheperds / staffies / and one side of the family had pitbulls before the ban came into force.

I have a 3 1/4 year old rottie ***** called Zara, and you could wish for a better dog. :good:

I done various searches on the net...spoke to various breeders as I wasn't sure of rotties....but my missus wanted one. We took our time and finally after 6-8 months we got our rottie.
My parents said we were daft, the in-laws wouldnt talk to us for a few weeks. But if you see them now with the dog, they are worse than my kids...twins sons aged 9 and a 4yr old son.

Its HOW YOU bring the dog up, treat it badly it will eventually snap !!!!!

We've got various friends and family who have to so-called friendly dogs...i.e westies..yorkies....collies etc etc...and their is NO way I'd let my kids play with them the way they do with our rottie...Under suppervision of course.
Anyone that tries to go near my youngest son, Zara sits in front of him and doesnt move until we say so. She will also follow him when we are ot in the park...and take him by the sleeve of his jumper/jacket if he goes too far in front. She has totally change MY perceptive of rotties. And I really feel sorry for the dogs who are used for a status sysmbol by the neds in various housing schemes !!! As they constantly bring these wonderful breed under media scutiny.

ANY dog can attack, but the powerfull breeds get the news because of the damage they do in a short space of time.
What sells papers more...kid attacked by staffie/rottie etc etc or kid attacked by labradoer / collie etc etc !!!!!!!

My kids have been told to respect dogs and NOT all dogs want petted, even when the owner says its ok..!!!!

I hope you got your dog...and that you have fun with it as it become part of your family.

when people say you shoulded have dogs around children and staffies ,german shepards etc are dogs that are aggressive are people who either dont own a dog or dont have contact with dogs.we have 2 german shepards ones 3 and the other is 8 and my son is nearly 3 my son gets on well with the three year old as they are the same age and because of this they have the closet friendship then any child with there friends from school and playschool,you see more difference if a child is bought up with dogs then without for one my son has learnt to share with the dogs like toys etc and his emmune system is a lot stronger for bein around dogs,the only reason people say dont have dogs with kids because they see on the tv that dogs have attacked children but half the time its either the dog has been bought up badly or that the child has been left alone with the dog.im not a big staffy fan but if you bring the dog up right and dont get an older one as half the time they havent been with kids then youd be alright just teach your child that pulling hitting or anything that you think that annoys the staffy is not a good thing

Look, I have to disagree with recommending that someone (who may or may not have ANY experience with dogs) get a breed requiring strict training at the same time that they have a new baby and a toddler.

Its all good and well to say "oh, all dogs are good dogs provided that you train them" but that requires knowing how to train a dog properly. Learning how to train a dog requires a lot of time and effort. It also requires that all the persons in the household be on the same page about what constitutes good behavior and be in a position to enforce that behavior. A two year old is not capable of training a puppy, nor would I trust him to remember how to treat a dog nicely. And I'm not certain that Becci is in a situation where she would want to constantly supervise dog-toddler interactions for three years.

I think that it is irresponsible to insist that because your large, well-trained dog is good around children that all dogs of a similar heritage will be just as well-behaved. It is slightly better to highlight the need for good training to make a good dog, but to insist that this will be easy-peasy does nothing to help out the owner or her potential dog.

It's all good and well to counter myths about certain breeds being vicious child-killers, but don't do it in such a way that sets up a specific dog to be labeled "bad with kids". The last thing you want to wind up encouraging is a situation where someone gets a Staffie pup, discovers that it tends to jump on the baby and gets rid of the dog. Because face it, having trouble with a poorly trained dog is how a lot of these bully breeds end up being euthanized.

Edit: I feel the need to clarify my position further. All dogs involve training; this is why I am not a dog person. But I grew up around dozens of dogs of various degrees of training and temperament. As my grandfather's main hobby over the last twenty years has been breeding and training packs of hunting dogs while my parents frequently rescued and owned multiple dogs at a time, I've probably been around as many dogs or more dogs than anyone else on this thread. So I don't want to hear any noise about me not having experience with dogs. And my experience has been that dogs tend to be jumpy. They also tend to chew on people during play time. Some dogs require more training than others to get rid of these habits. Some dogs are more capable of accidentally hurting you than others. The unfortunate truth is that larger breeds are simply better equipped to hurt a toddler, even without meaning to do so. Puppies are even more likely not to know their own strength or understand that claws and teeth hurt. Yes, many adult dogs are instinctively aware that babies are delicate. But an equal number are not. There's no good way of telling what kind of puppy you have, not even by breed. For these reasons, I would not recommend someone getting their first puppy while they have toddlers or babies. It's too much work.

I don't say this because I dislike dogs. I say this because I don't want to encourage someone to get an animal that they can't keep. Dogs wind up in the shelter every day because someone was encouraged to get a dog that they weren't ready to deal with. I don't think that my negative opinion is really going to dissuade someone who knows what they're getting into with a large boisterous dog, but it might help someone unprepared to rethink what it means to get a puppy.

I have a male, 10 month old Jack Russell X Staffy (mainly JR) and he is the best dog around around children ive ever met, and ive had many dogs rescued and rehomed ect from here. He is amazing, and at the terror age too. I own other JR's and although they are fine with my children, and have never ever bitten or anything like that, i still wouldnt leave them unsupervised with children they dont know.
But the little jack X staffy id leave with a crawling child and wouldnt be bothered, and thats the staffy in him!

Its all down to good selective breeding and why meeting your dogs parents is so important, a good decent breeder will be completely honest. You can usually tell a good breeder because they will ask you many questions before they allow you to buy a puppy. They want what is best for the dog, and will take the puppy back if things dont work out so picking the right forever home is in their interest too.

The other thing with puppies and very small children is the *pack*. Quite often they see the child as below them, because a very young child cant be involved in many things which the puppy/dog will see as indominance, quite naturally, and lower in the pack than themselves. Of course its something you can work on as the child gets older.

Lily x

Any dog of any kind can be a fantastic dog. I always look at the owners, not always meaning to do the wrong thing but if your dog is out of control then its your fault. A dog is only as good as its handler/owner tells it to be

ETA - All three of my dogs took alot of time and patience to train and it continues through their life, its like having another child who cant speak to you so you have to learn how to speak to them. You know what i mean ;-)

Hiya,
Im after a staffie or boxer pup (10 weeks max). Was just wanting opinions firstly, as they are both known as chav dogs round here, but my other half is adamant that they are ideal with kids (we have a baby and toddler). Im not sure....whatcha think?
And does anyone have any pups on the way so to speak?
Cheers x

[post="0"]have newborn staffy/boxer pups 8 to choose from[/post]
Hiya,
Im after a staffie or boxer pup (10 weeks max). Was just wanting opinions firstly, as they are both known as chav dogs round here, but my other half is adamant that they are ideal with kids (we have a baby and toddler). Im not sure....whatcha think?
And does anyone have any pups on the way so to speak?
Cheers x
have newborn pups staffy/boxer very beautiful and strong 8 to choose from.

Most reactions

Back