Sources Of Ammonia

holidayinn

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi, i want to do a fishless cycle without the mess of using fish food...

does anyone know where i can find pure/diluted ammonia in the uk?

ive had a look at another thread on dis forum, on it products such as jeyes ammonia, boots household ammonia,

Max Ammonia (is a multi-purpose cleaner for removing grease, grime and stains from kitchen and bathroom surfaces including work surfaces, tiles, windows, mirrors, enamel and chrome. Ammonia also cleans crockery and silver. Contains 9.5% ammonia in solution.) are recommended..

i just wanted to confirm if any1 knows if these products are ok to use? or if anyone has any alternative suggestions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks

I had difficulties finding household ammonia when I was searching a while ago.. I ended up finding Waterlife Biomature which isn't one of those "magic" cycling products but basically just ammonia. It may cost more than normal ammonia but at least it's easier to get hold of.

thanks for the help...went to boots and found it in their household cleaning stuff £1.75...the stuff smells really strong and altho there isnt a real list of ingredients im pretty sure its just diluted with water...thanks again

I always find it amazing that there's a market for ammonia outside of fish-keeping. Would you clean with something that smells that bad? I certainly wouldn't. :sick:

I always find it amazing that there's a market for ammonia outside of fish-keeping. Would you clean with something that smells that bad? I certainly wouldn't. :sick:

god no - the only other use for it i can think of it bomb making :hyper: i felt a bit dodgy going into boots asking for some ammonia and a pipette!

"oh by the way, do you sell fuse wire here?" :hyper:

god no - the only other use for it i can think of it bomb making :hyper: i felt a bit dodgy going into boots asking for some ammonia and a pipette!

"oh by the way, do you sell fuse wire here?" :hyper:

PMSFLLLLL

Thats funny.

I am going to get same stuff with new tank i have just got.

I found ammonia in the second shop I went to. My local chemist did not have it but said they could order it easily. I then phoned the local hardware shop in a nearby village. They had it. A 500 ml bottle for 2.50. It is 9.6% ammonia and mixed with water. If you shake it does not foam or fizz so no unwanted additives. It has worked perfectly. Added 10ml to 180 lite tank and have ammonia level of 6 ppm.

The ammonia is sold as a household cleaner in the section with mr muscle cleaners etc. The bottle details its uses - you can soak silver such as cutlery / goblets etc and it removes tarnish or add to a sink of water to soak clothes in with stains etc. It is also a glass cleaner. I never realised it was such a popular cleaning / stain removing product.

I found ammonia in the second shop I went to. My local chemist did not have it but said they could order it easily. I then phoned the local hardware shop in a nearby village. They had it. A 500 ml bottle for 2.50. It is 9.6% ammonia and mixed with water. If you shake it does not foam or fizz so no unwanted additives. It has worked perfectly. Added 10ml to 180 lite tank and have ammonia level of 6 ppm.

The ammonia is sold as a household cleaner in the section with mr muscle cleaners etc. The bottle details its uses - you can soak silver such as cutlery / goblets etc and it removes tarnish or add to a sink of water to soak clothes in with stains etc. It is also a glass cleaner. I never realised it was such a popular cleaning / stain removing product.

Keyword: "was"

now its been replaced by other chemicals or heavily masked with dyes and perfumes. :sick:

another use for ammonia is to wake people up if they have passed out.

Most reactions

Back