Sources Of Ammonia

I always find it amazing that there's a market for ammonia outside of fish-keeping. Would you clean with something that smells that bad? I certainly wouldn't. :sick:

god no - the only other use for it i can think of it bomb making :hyper: i felt a bit dodgy going into boots asking for some ammonia and a pipette!

"oh by the way, do you sell fuse wire here?" :hyper:

Ammonia is allot more common than people think.

Its found in rubbing compound (uesd by car paintwork repair people) silver and gold polish and it even in your own pee, although I would not recommend taking a pee in your tank :rolleyes:

this thread is almost 2 years old lol ^^
Yes. Sorry. That's my fault. I'm trying to find ammonia at the moment and am puzzled to why it's not common to find it in fish shops, since this seems to be the prefered way to protect the health of our fish?

(Should I start a new thread?) :blush:

Ammonia is not sold in LFSs for the same reason Fishless Cycling knowledge is not maintained and communicated and carbon and salt are still sold and sorts of things like that. They are following their business model, not the hobby. Its not a malicious thing, its just that the feeling remains and constantly gets reinforced by average people walking in, that trying to explain that there is a long, somewhat complicated, waiting period before all the fish-maintaining equipment is working properly would just drive a large percentage of new customers right on back out the door without a fish tank.

Its funny though, just among us hobbyists, it sure would be a detail that would reinforce our loyalty and devotion to a particular local shop, if their proprietor was knowledgeable enough to stock the pure household ammonia bottles right there next to the bags of cheap polyfloss and rolls of fine mesh for making bags and things... none of this stuff would have significant profit for them but it would sure send a positive message among those in the know.

~~waterdrop~~

Ammonia is not sold in LFSs for the same reason Fishless Cycling knowledge is not maintained and communicated and carbon and salt are still sold and sorts of things like that. They are following their business model, not the hobby. Its not a malicious thing, its just that the feeling remains and constantly gets reinforced by average people walking in, that trying to explain that there is a long, somewhat complicated, waiting period before all the fish-maintaining equipment is working properly would just drive a large percentage of new customers right on back out the door without a fish tank.

Its funny though, just among us hobbyists, it sure would be a detail that would reinforce our loyalty and devotion to a particular local shop, if their proprietor was knowledgeable enough to stock the pure household ammonia bottles right there next to the bags of cheap polyfloss and rolls of fine mesh for making bags and things... none of this stuff would have significant profit for them but it would sure send a positive message among those in the know.

~~waterdrop~~

I agree 100%, charge double the price of the local hardware shop at least it will save the hastle oftrying to find it and it will still be cheaper than the bioculture crap

Most reactions

Back