So What To Do Next?

Destination Doha

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
well the tank i have at the moment has a life span of about 12 years it is about 6-7 years old now and rather than get it re seald i whould rather sell it on before it got to old now my diy skills aare a bit crap at the best so on a buget of 2k for just the tank what is the best way to go bonded tank glass tank or plastick
cheers all
doha :good:

if youre talking a big tank , and on 2k im guessing you are some points worth considering is that acrylic tanks are around 50% lighter than glass , quite a bit stronger too.. cant say wether they look better or worse than glass as ive never seen 1 in the flesh . heres 1 acrylic tank maker no idea what they cost tho .

http://acrylicaquarium.co.uk/index.html

but im sure i saw a guy on aquarist classifieds that makes them too .

hi mark .acrylic whould be good but this whould be the first time i have not had glass. the nexst tank is a upgrade on the 7x3x3 i keep now. the problem i have is lenth 7ft being the max space but i can go wider and deeper im just looking to get the best for my cash but still not have to worrie about the saftey of aa big tank unziping down one side :good:

hmm the issue i could see with acrylic would be getting the thin in place as they tend to be made in 1 piece , which kinda rules out build on site. you could always take the living room window out temporarily :lol:

The acrylic tanks are made by chemically welding the pieces together using an acrylic solvent. What you end up with is all one piece of acrylic. Glass tanks are made by joining individual pieces of glass with silicone or, in the old days, by sealing individual pieces of glass to a metal frame. Almost by definition the acrylic will end up being stronger along all the joints. Some other considerations are the weight that has already been mentioned and the clarity of the container. Acrylic tanks are very transparent compared to glass tanks but beware that they are also easily scratched. People with acrylic tanks must be very careful when cleaning to avoid scratching their beautiful clear tanks.

some good point oldman :good: i do have patio doors that will lift out so geting anything in is not a problem :)

good explenation oldman74 i always wondered just how the whole 1 piece thing worked . the plus side with acrylic tanks tho is that should you scratch them the scratches can be polished out

Most reactions

Back