Snails.

redbug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had an issue with my water a few weeks ago that has been corrected
I lost several fish in very short order.
some of which were my looches went from 7 down to 2
2 of my lost looches were 5" yoyo's they did a goo job keeping the snails under control
but in the last 2 weeks the snails have exploded and i have hundreds
they have been in my fuvalX5 for a few years and when i clean it i remove as many as i can.
I have purchased some more yoyo looches but they are tiny 1" and will take a while
before they start eating the snails
i also have a few assassin snails that should help
now my questions....
1 if i place a stocking over the filter intake will that keep the snails out?
2 has anyone made a snail trap for a tank that would help?

if you are having snail 'explosions' then you are over-feeding your fish. Cut down on the food and the snails will have less to eat and the tank will not be able to sustain such a large snail population. Always better to fix the cause rather than the symptons of an issue.

There is a pinned topic on snail removal in the Invertebrates section

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/41473-dealing-with-pest-snails/

if you are having snail 'explosions' then you are over-feeding your fish. Cut down on the food and the snails will have less to eat and the tank will not be able to sustain such a large snail population. Always better to fix the cause rather than the symptons of an issue.

There is a pinned topic on snail removal in the Invertebrates section

http://www.fishforum...th-pest-snails/

+1!

even tho i cut my feeding down ive always had a snail problem, even removing them by hand made no difference... ive got about 20 assassins now and they do the job perfectly im really happy with them. i bought a snail trap but only used it once as it caught 0 snails just 2 neons ! :/ the cucumber overnight thing didnt work for me either.

I will try to cut the food down and see if that helps the lettuce wouldnt last very long my plecos would tare it up in no time
my main issue is the filters i want to see if i can keep them out of the new fuval i am going to cycle in this tank before i move the fish to a new set up

Most reactions

Back