Snail Eaters

spilz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
howdy folks ive heard that yoyo loaches, i think thats what there called, eat snails. as i have a snail problem, a bad one lol, at the moment my dads kribensis believe it or not, are eatin them. but there in my tank with my plec,and are making it look unsightly, as they are the boring little snails that come in on plants and breed like ####ers. i am up for getting 2 yoyo loaches, was just wondering if they do eat snails, and what there requirements are as a pose to their diet and size, and the most important question, would they be alright with dave, thanks, spilz

i had a similar problem and got some zebra loaches (botia striata), they have nice colouring and only grow to 7cm,they are quite active around the bottom. i bought them to eat snails but am glad i did as they have made a nice addition to my tank.

you may still need to pull the big ones out but since i bought the loaches not seen a single snail. on the plus side they are very friendly as i have cardinal tetras and plecs. the bonus is they look nice in the tank and rummage around the bottom i wouldnt be without them now.

hope this of some help sorry if not

steve

Yes yoyo loaches eat snails. My yoyo didnt start eating snails till he was bigger. I think because the snails were alot bigger then him he was abit scared to eat them, but now eats most size snails. I also have a few baby apple snails and he seems to leave them alone for some reason. So if u want them to eat the snails straight away and u have room for a big yoyo then go for the biggest yoyo u can find.

I had this problem too. I just bought some clown loaches, and they ate them in no time, although it took a while for them to notice them.

I also want some kind of snail eater.
Has anyone got a pic of a yoyo loach, I can't find one anywhere in the books/ internet I've looked in. How big do they get/how many is best to keep?

http://www.loaches.com/

This is a great link for pics of all different loaches (click "Species Index"). Yoyo loaches grow to about 5" I think? They like to be kept in groups and are black and white. Their name comes from their markings, which often look to say YOYO down their sides. Hope that helps :)

ive seen some of these yoyo loaches today, in one of my many lfs's they called them pakistani loaches, and were selling them for £3.49 each, may have to invest in a pair to get rid of my snail problem, as they are rather attractive fish

ive seen some of these yoyo loaches today, in one of my many lfs's they called them pakistani loaches, and were selling them for £3.49 each, may have to invest in a pair to get rid of my snail problem, as they are rather attractive fish

They're lovely fish, I wouldn't mind some myself. Loaches do prefer to be in bigger groups though, minimum of three, so it might be worth getting that one extra, they'll come out more often and be much happier ;)

Most reactions

Back