Single Oscars

gizmo001i

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 75 gallon tank which I am thinking of using for a single Oscar. However, before I do this, I just want to check up on how Oscars cope with being on their own. Are they OK as sole tank occupents or are they a fish that needs other tank mates. I know that you have to be careful about the tank mates for an Oscar, I just don't want to end up with an unhappy fish due to it being on it's own. Any advice will be very welcome.
Many thanks
Ian

hey most people keep oscars on their own or with maybe one large common gibbicep. just make sure you have adequate filtration.

Thanks for the quick answer Liam50. I have plenty of filtration as I have an external canister filter. The only thing I really need is a heater guard. I have moved my fish to a different tank. Which means that this tank is using water and a filter that has been in constant use for the last 5 years, so it should be mature enough lol.
Many thanks
Ian

I don't think he's referring to the maturity of the filter per se, I think he's referring to capacity - oscars are incredibly messy fish, so you need a lot of filtration. Being matured is so much the better, but you want enough filtration to deal with a very messy fish.

ETA:

And just to clarify, an external filter isn't necessarily enough filtration - it does depend on the filter.

Lots and lots of people keep single Oscars, if they are kept as a single fish you see a lot more of their 'personality' They will become like a true wet pet. By that I mean forever begging for your attention and doing the Oscar food dance. Good luck with your Oscar and keep us posted. You won't regret buying an Oscar I can assure you. Given the right tank space (which you have) varied diet and big filtration, you could have many happy years together.

I have moved my fish to a different tank. Which means that this tank is using water and a filter that has been in constant use for the last 5 years, so it should be mature enough lol.

How long has it been empty of fish? without an ammonia source the bacteria will be starting to die off,

Hi,
I have only just emptied it today and if needs be I will keep the ammonia levels up to keep everything ticking over. Don't worry about filter capacity as I have a Fluval 304 with an output of 1000 ltrs/hr. I was just saying that as well as having enough capacity, it is also a matured filter.

Hi,
I have only just emptied it today and if needs be I will keep the ammonia levels up to keep everything ticking over. Don't worry about filter capacity as I have a Fluval 304 with an output of 1000 ltrs/hr. I was just saying that as well as having enough capacity, it is also a matured filter.

hi yes unless the new fish are going in today or at most tomorrow then i would leave one or two easy to catch fish in the tank until you are ready to add the new fish.

With regards to the Fluval 304 being enough filtration then i'm afraid it simply isn't, 1000lph is the flowrate of the cannister when empty of media, however when full this can be significantly reduced and i would say you are looking at nearer 750lph longterm, Regardless of this though even if it was 1000lph that wouldn't be enough,

With an Oscar in this setup i would be aiming for a bare minimum true turnover of 1420lph, this gives you a turnover of 5x per hour which is the minimum you should be aiming for IMO.

i run a fluval 305 and an internal on my 40gallon wouldnt use it for anything larger. Get an fx5 if you can, alot go on ebay for around £100-120 with media. This way if you decide to add more fish you are not wurrying about the filteration.

I must admit I thought the Fluval would be enough. But obviously not. However, I have other filters which I can use to suppliment it as well, so things should be fine. I can easily get up to the a true flow of 1500ltr/hr. Thanks for your advice, it has saved me making a major error.
Ian

I must admit I thought the Fluval would be enough. But obviously not. However, I have other filters which I can use to suppliment it as well, so things should be fine. I can easily get up to the a true flow of 1500ltr/hr. Thanks for your advice, it has saved me making a major error.
Ian

Yeah, the more filtration the better. A big Oscar eating is like barbarians in movies eating, dropping bits everywhere from their mouth as they chew. Funny to watch but messy..... :crazy:

The same goes for all the big Cichlids really. There is no such thing as over filtering a Cichlid tank. I have 6ft tank which could easily be run with one FX5, but I have two on there, as my fish are messy little buggers. Oscars (along with some others) are prone to Hole in the head disease, but this can be avoided with pristine water. (over filtering and large water changes)

Most reactions

Back