Severum Appreciation Society

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all! I usually am in the Betta section, but was checking out other stuff and ran across this - WOW!!!!

Thought I would post a pic of my female Severum, "Big Momma". She is 7/8 years old and approx. 8 inches. I have had her for about 3 years now. She and her mate were given to me, but they were in such bad shape (poor nutrition, non-existent tank maintenance) that I lost the male (dropsy). I managed to save Momma, though and is she a character - a regular tail wagger!!! Probably the smartest fish I have ever owned.

BigMamma.jpg

Welcome to the dark side :lol:

Glad you managed to save her, she looks lovely :)

Thanks for the welcome!!!

She really is a lovely fish - just about as close to an aquatic dog as you can get, IMO!!!

One of these days I will try to get a better pic of her - that one really does not do her justice. She lives in a 75 gal. with a large angel and they seem to get along swimmingly! :D

welcome to the club lion yep they are like aquatic dogs with their attention seeking antics and food begging . mine actually does loop the loops through the amazon swords :lol:

welcome to the club lion yep they are like aquatic dogs with their attention seeking antics and food begging . mine actually does loop the loops through the amazon swords :lol:

I believe i have a laying pair of greens (no fry yet only their 3rd attempt) and im hoping i have a pair of golds too (only just moved them to their own segreated tank so fingers crossed). If i do have any fry ill be looking to sell them in the Barnsley area, ill keep y'all updated!

New pic of my Sev, now happily in his new 5ft tank, he's loving it :D

011-2.jpg

Seems to have grown a little over the last few weeks too.

looking good minxy you watch he will soon start to grow now hes in his big tank give him a couple of months the difference will be quite pronounced :good:

give him prawns he should love em and they are good for colour too mine loves em also the frozen cichlid mix and red mosquito larvae go down well along with krill.

Quick question. I have mygolds and greens in partition tanks, they both are kinda shivering/shaking at their respective partner, is this a severum way of saying "come and get it"???

Breeding: Severum mates should be chosen similar to the method in which angels pair off. Buy six juveniles, and wait until they pair off. Choose one pair, and return/sell off the remaining. The “courtship” behavior consists of side rubbing, lip locking, and mock fighting. The female Severum will deposit the eggs on a horizontal surface, usually a slate or round rock (if one isn’t present, one should be added to keep them from laying clutches on larger, harder to remove items).

taken from aquaticcommunity.com

Breeding: Severum mates should be chosen similar to the method in which angels pair off. Buy six juveniles, and wait until they pair off. Choose one pair, and return/sell off the remaining. The “courtship” behavior consists of side rubbing, lip locking, and mock fighting. The female Severum will deposit the eggs on a horizontal surface, usually a slate or round rock (if one isn’t present, one should be added to keep them from laying clutches on larger, harder to remove items).

taken from aquaticcommunity.com

The golds were seen to lip lock yesterday, was quite funny. Havent dug any pits tho like a number of sites have said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back