Sensesfail Tank Journal

Below is my chart and the Blue represents a water change. I have estimated Ammonia levels as my ammonia test kit range is 3.7 which it is closest too what im getting but the next lighter one is 2.4. It does look slightly lighter than 3.7 so iv just dropped the figures gradually as to what i think it may be. Its no where near 2.4 yet :-( Is this going ok?

Cheers

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33
Another 3.2 for today :-l is this working? Do I need to scrap and start again? I wonder if it's the test kit I have a new ammonia testing kit is it worth trying that one incase its the tester im using? Same make like.

Another day of 3.2 :-l when iv looked at other proper results they are well passsed me at this stage? Do I need to wait or do something ?

Cheers

It can take up to 3 weeks before the very first drop of ammonia from 5ppm to zero ppm. Its fairly common for it to take 2 weeks. WD

Onto the 17th day now :-l still no drop in ammonia and it remains as it has always been :-l will it suddenly drop? Iv been testing it everyday but I could maybe just leave it and test every other day. Suppose iv been testing for ages everyday now its not going to matter a few more weeks/ month.

Not seeing anything particularly wrong with what you're doing SF, except of course that the A-Bacs don't seem to be responding much! Its a good sign to be seeing some nitrite traces (would have to be produced by some A-Bacs) so you may have a bit of a start there.

You might try a few teaspoons of baking soda (you could just start with 2 or so and see what pH you get the following couple of days) You could just very slowly eek it up toward the pH of 8.0 to 8.4 that we consider more optimal for the bacteria. Normally I'd just say my usual 2 teaspoons per 50L but you're already reasonably high at 7.4, so going slower might fine tune it better. If nothing else it gives you another thing to do, lol, while those stubborn little A-Bacs decide if they are going to get going.

~~waterdrop~~

Along side my 50 litre I`m also cycling a 215 litre, albeit a couple of weeks later start, I dosed 5ppm ammona on 1/10 and up to now there is no reduction at all, so it looks as if I`m also in for the long haul :sick:

Not seeing anything particularly wrong with what you're doing SF, except of course that the A-Bacs don't seem to be responding much! Its a good sign to be seeing some nitrite traces (would have to be produced by some A-Bacs) so you may have a bit of a start there.

You might try a few teaspoons of baking soda (you could just start with 2 or so and see what pH you get the following couple of days) You could just very slowly eek it up toward the pH of 8.0 to 8.4 that we consider more optimal for the bacteria. Normally I'd just say my usual 2 teaspoons per 50L but you're already reasonably high at 7.4, so going slower might fine tune it better. If nothing else it gives you another thing to do, lol, while those stubborn little A-Bacs decide if they are going to get going.

~~waterdrop~~

I shall try and find some baking soda in the shops :) if I was to wait and hold out will the bacteria eventually start? I have 0 nitrite now :-s and 0 nitrate. I reckon cycling with biomature having extremely high ammonia levels have messed everything up. If this fails is it a case of getting new filter media and starting again?

Had forgotten, if I knew, that you had a high ammonia situation. That can indeed lead to a long setback due to the wrong bacterial species clogging up the media with its biofilms we think. I would not go overboard restarting everything however, its likely the right species will be along in a bit. If you feel inspired on a weekend you could consider doing a full gravel-clean-water-change, a very light squeeze-out or swish of the media in tank water and then a refill (dechlor and rough temp matching of course) and then a recharge of the ammonia and the baking soda. This will constitute a "reset" without losing what correct bacteria there might be already there in the biomedia. Then of course be sure your temp gets back up to 29C/84F and monitor your baking soda such that you ease the pH up to 8.0 to 8.4 range hopefully.

~~waterdrop~~

Had forgotten, if I knew, that you had a high ammonia situation. That can indeed lead to a long setback due to the wrong bacterial species clogging up the media with its biofilms we think. I would not go overboard restarting everything however, its likely the right species will be along in a bit. If you feel inspired on a weekend you could consider doing a full gravel-clean-water-change, a very light squeeze-out or swish of the media in tank water and then a refill (dechlor and rough temp matching of course) and then a recharge of the ammonia and the baking soda. This will constitute a "reset" without losing what correct bacteria there might be already there in the biomedia. Then of course be sure your temp gets back up to 29C/84F and monitor your baking soda such that you ease the pH up to 8.0 to 8.4 range hopefully.

~~waterdrop~~

Cheers for the advise water drop really thankful for your on going support! Iv drained the tank completely re filled it with fresh dechlor water and topped up the ammonia from 0.6 after the water change to 5ppm and added 6 tbs of baking soda. So is it a case now of testing the ph daily and also the ammonia? I'm currently waiting for the temp to increase back to 28-29c. Have 2 heaters running so hopefully back up to temp asap. I shall test the Ph in a moment and see what it currently is and then top up soda?

Oh yes, I'd test the pH daily now as you are adjusting it and you want to see how it responds to your adjustments. You can go slowly on the baking soda as the bacteria will get off to an ok start even with pH in the middle neutral numbers. Getting it up to 8.0 to 8.4 is just a tweek and its easier not to overshoot if you go slowly. Hopefully this water change will represent a bit of a disturbance to the biofilms of the wrong species and open up some surface area for the right species!

~~waterdrop~~

It's been 5 days since doing the big water change cleaning the filter and adding baking soda to get my Ph to 8-8.5. On the 3rd day I noticed it dropped ammonia from 5ppm to 3.7 and since then it's hanging around that which is what happened last time staying like that for weeks until I drained the whole tank. Coming up 2 2months now having used the add daily method with biomature and re starting using add daily.

When should I expect changes ? If it doesn't start dropping soon what's the next plan of attack? I have 0 in nitrite. I can post my logs I shall add them for the add and wait method as the other is redundant now. ( another months worth of results from the add daily method)

Cheers guys

Attachments

• CYCLE LOG PT1.png
    CYCLE LOG PT1.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 36
Just keep at it, i know its time taking but fingers crossed your bact levels will be ever so slowly increasing and will break down your ammonia soon.
K

Most reactions

Back