Selling Fish On Ebay

It's not illegal to sell them, but IIRC it IS illegal to send them by regular parcel post, however well packaged they may be. That's why all shops that do them by mail do it by guaranteed delivery by a certain time the next day.

what do you mean by regular post?

I mean you can't take a package of fish to the local Post Office (assuming you still have one) and say ''I'd like to send this first/second class please''. It has to be sent to guarantee to arrive by a certain time the next day. If you send it normally,it could take two or three days. That's why many shops use couriers.

Hi

You can use FIRST CLASS delivery as the minimum.

Quote Royal Mail...

"Use First Class as the minimum service and clearly label the package as "URGENT - LIVING CREATURES"".

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content...ediaId=36200679

But I send mine by special delivery just so that I know it will get there, 1st class is not the service it used to be.

Becky

really helpful although its sounding more and more complicated, where do u take the fish to whe u send them off

Package them well like topicalgirl2007 says then take them to the post office and tell them you want to send them by 'special delivery' they will take all the details and give you a receipt and tell you the time they will be delivery by the next day. Costs about £6.

Try and get each package to weigh less then 1k and the cost is then £6. If you are sending a Saturday delivery however add £2. (total £8)

ok i think il be avoiding weekends then, its nice 2 get info from people with experience
thats what i love about this site

Im afraid Royal mail arent supposed to deliver fish, the only courier with all the relavant legal bumf are apc.

the living creatures only applies to fish fry not fish 'Silkworms, Fish fry and Eggs, ' not 'Silkworms, Fish, fry and Eggs,'

i have some balloon molly fry which i'll probley sell, do you know what a good price to start would be

Also mate if you are sending them special delivery with the post office (which i have done and had no problems with) make sure you arrive late in the day to post them.

eg if the post office shuts at 6 make sure you are there at 5.30-5.45 so this limits the amount of time the post office holds the fish as they will be delivered first thing in the morning anyway.

Goodluck.

PS. i may be in the market for some of your shrimps when they are ready too

yes you are allowed to sent fish by royal mail, but some post offices and sorting offices will not except them, if they ask if its fish just say no its live plants instead.

i take mine straight to the sorting office so they are almost half way to their destinations :rolleyes:

yes you are allowed to sent fish by royal mail, but some post offices and sorting offices will not except them, if they ask if its fish just say no its live plants instead.

i take mine straight to the sorting office so they are almost half way to their destinations :rolleyes:

I take mine straight to the sorting office too.

You cant send fish with royal mail, you can only send fry. the link to royal mail you posted doesnt say you can

beware, many local authorities (councils) consider more than 100 sales of live animals in any one year to be 'trading'
for that you will need a pet shop licence from them.

ok fry are fish in my world :rolleyes:

councils have a strict rule on the guidelines on which fish you are allowed to breed and sell as there as two lists, ones you can and ones you cant, if you want to sell particular fish in one of the lists you have to arrange for the license to be ammended to suit your needs and then its up to the council whether they allow it or not, there has been a case recently when a guy had a fish that was considered endangered in the wild, he bred them, sold them and got caught, the authorities came to take the fish off him and finally destroyed the fish, weird i know as the guy was really pissed by this as he was trying to save the species and the people who decided that these fish needed saving actually destroyed them.

ebay also have a rule that after a certain amount of sales of a particular product or a range of, you have to declare this for VAT/TAX, i think the amount is in the region of £4000

Most reactions

Back