Seen Betta Tanks Advertised

Except bettas are much more happy with a territory that they can defend. They are fish that are solitary by nature. All they want to do is to have an area that they fell comfortable defending. Numerous people on this very board have had problems from having the fish in to large of a tank. There is no biological need for a tank that big for a betta. They don't need it and most are more comfortable in a smaller tank. These are animals driven by instint and not IQ.

-john

i have over 50 bettas. most are more comfortable in larger tanks. tell me again how big a rice paddy is? oh right, the size of a football field. 10 gallons is not too large for a single betta to defend. i and others have done it numerous times.

Hi
thanks for all the replys.Iv decided against those tiny tanks.I actually have a tank at the moment which is 3.3 gallons which iv read is enuf but im out shopping tomorrow and was planning on checking out Wilkinsons will i was out.Also considered when i get paid on getting a nice looking glass bowl. about 3 gallons aswell as it will be on display in my room.
I do have a 6 gallon tank at the moment which is vurrently housing my axolotl but iv decided that when he goes it would make an ideall betta tank for two.

Im addicted already and dont even have my first fancy betta yet.opps

he he
thnaks all :rolleyes:

The tanks advertised are to small for a permanent home. They are fine for a breeder raising fish to a few months of age to sale. I don't want to fight online either. If you feel the need to vent you can email me.

Thanks -john

EDIT-
Ont that note...

Any1 know where/seen a gd tank available to buy in the UK for a single male betta!?!

Yup, Wilkinsons is your best friend. Depending on what your after, you can get 3g tanks for £5, or see through plastic containers for less, I'm currently testing them for safety (although there should be no probs, they're foodsafe).
[/quote]

Can you buy online?

Except bettas are much more happy with a territory that they can defend. They are fish that are solitary by nature. All they want to do is to have an area that they fell comfortable defending. Numerous people on this very board have had problems from having the fish in to large of a tank. There is no biological need for a tank that big for a betta. They don't need it and most are more comfortable in a smaller tank. These are animals driven by instint and not IQ.

-john

i have over 50 bettas. most are more comfortable in larger tanks. tell me again how big a rice paddy is? oh right, the size of a football field. 10 gallons is not too large for a single betta to defend. i and others have done it numerous times.

50 WOW! I guess we only have about 300 bettas, 200+ discus, a hundred killifish, and 50 or 60 assorted other types.

Tell ya what I'm done with this. For those of you that don't realize that your fish are just fish, that think they are some kind of noble, intelligent creature have fun in your fantasy world. I no longer care. I just wish that some of you would base your opinions on facts every once in a while and not on some BS made up from causal observations. Is there anyone left on this planet with good sense? Anyone that still has a rural background and knows what it takes to raise animals. Anyone that has not let cartoons make them think that animals are people? Ok I am now done venting. I will try to never again post about how idiotic it is to put a betta in a large tank.......

-john

50 WOW! I guess we only have about 300 bettas, 200+ discus, a hundred killifish, and 50 or 60 assorted other types.

Tell ya what I'm done with this. For those of you that don't realize that your fish are just fish, that think they are some kind of noble, intelligent creature have fun in your fantasy world. I no longer care. I just wish that some of you would base your opinions on facts every once in a while and not on some BS made up from causal observations. Is there anyone left on this planet with good sense? Anyone that still has a rural background and knows what it takes to raise animals. Anyone that has not let cartoons make them think that animals are people? Ok I am now done venting. I will try to never again post about how idiotic it is to put a betta in a large tank.......

-john

Oh dear, somebody's in a bad mood.
Anyone that has not let cartoons make them think that animals are people?
Unless we've suddenly migrated to the plant kingdom, we are but one tiny, self indulged species in the A-N-I-M-A-L kingdom. Not the people kingdom. Facts are opinions too,really, not always right. So called facts are proved wrong everyday, and there are facts existing in direct opposition of each other. For instance, it is a 'fact' that eating a diet high in fat is bad for your heart and general wellbeing, but also a 'fact' that a diet high in fat helps preven some sort of mental disease, possibly Alzeimers (sp?), I've forgotten. Your 'facts' are not facts at all. The only time a large tank is bad is if its too tall, rice paddies are huge but very shallow. Think it doesn't make them feel secure? Simple, plant it up with rice, replicate nature, inroduce insects to the plants outside the water, live bloodworm.... You can hardly say Nature consists of bettas living in spaces the size of 1/2g tanks all their lives, can you?

HEY GUYS
Im sorry my questions had caused arguements.I only wanted advice on tank size so he can get the best.Ijust thats hes not cheap and want to keep him for as long as possible

Iv decided on a tank about 3-4 gallons as think this would be the best size for him and my room.

Does Wilkinsons sell little glass tanks as id prefer glass to plastic if possible but have a 3.3 gallon tank at home that can be temporary until i find something i like and thats also good for him

Can you buy online?

Don't think so, no. But other places, Pets At Home have 1.5g bowly things for £5, most shops carry tupperware containers too.

Does Wilkinsons sell little glass tanks as id prefer glass to plastic if possible but have a 3.3 gallon tank at home that can be temporary until i find something i like and thats also good for him
No, they don't sell glass tanks. Pets @ Home does glass tanks, but they're more pricy at about £14.99 for a 7g, and I think a pound less for every gallon less, so I think £13.99 for a 6g.

EDIT- are you in the UK though, or US? This is UK info.

Im in the UK.Will check out wilkinsons tomorrow.Will probabyl look at getting 2 smal pastic ones depending on what they are like

i'm glad you are looking for a more suitable sized home, bristlenose. it's nice to see people who are interested in providing more than the bare "biological necessities" for the animals in their care. it makes sense to do so even if you do not consider your fish pets, as from a practical standpoint you will be rewarded with better health and fewer illnesses. larger, cycled tanks will always have better water quality than small uncycled ones.

after all, we humans could live in a bathroom as long as we were provided with food and water...there is no biological "reason" why we can't. i highly doubt anyone would want to though :)

Is there anyone left on this planet with good sense?

there are plenty.

I will try to never again post about how idiotic it is to put a betta in a large tank.......

we should only be so lucky.

Lol, :p
I mean, oh yes. I concure.

Tell ya what I'm done with this. For those of you that don't realize that your fish are just fish, that think they are some kind of noble, intelligent creature have fun in your fantasy world.
I agree. Fish are fish.
I do very much enjoy watching and interacting with my fish. but I have to agree that fish are fish. They are very intresting, and very fun, but they are fish. Not humans, not even remotley related to humans.
There is a point to where you have to draw the line, and where fish can only be fish.
Is there anyone left on this planet with good sense? Anyone that still has a rural background and knows what it takes to raise animals. Anyone that has not let cartoons make them think that animals are people?
Like I said. theres a place to draw the line. Fish are fish. not humans. As much as we try and tell ourselfes that fish have personalitys, they dont. they have carechtoristics. Not personalities. And while each carechtoristic varies, they have the same baseline.

I will try to never again post about how idiotic it is to put a betta in a large tank.......
You do have a point. bettas are one of the few fish th get stressed if the have to MUCH room. Odd conception, yes. But its 'true'. We will never know for sure, but what we already know is bettas like enopugh territory to easily defend.
If you had to, would you rather gaurd an entire castel by yourself, or would you rather just gaurd a little area?

i certainly don't recall saying my bettas were anything more than fish. that is a completely incorrect assumption made by john. there are concrete reasons for why a larger tank is superior to a smaller one, such as better water quality, a more stable cycle, and more stable temperature. if you were to be injured, incapacitated, or fall ill, your fish will have a greater chance of survival in a larger tank than a smaller one. please find and quote where i mention the "personality" of my fish if you insist such a thing was stated. when i say my fish are "more comfortable" in a larger tank, i am judging by more intense colors, better appetite, lower levels of lethargy, lower levels of illness, and better growth (in the case of young fish). don't be so quick to jump to conclusions simply because people don't agree with your point of view.

i have yet to experience a betta being stressed out by a properly planted and maintained 10 gallon. a 10 gallon is NOT a large tank...although it may seem like one if you routinely keep a betta in inadequate space.

Ok so I was planning on checking wilkinsons tomorrow to see what I could get when I came across this
NWNewWorldTank.jpg

Its only £2.29 and hold 3-4 gallons and only £2.99 P&P

I think this is quite good and after shopping tomorrow if nothing catches my eye il order a few of these

looks good, bristlenose. i have a couple like that. they're large enough to include a heater if needed :)

Thats great coz may need one during the winter. Could you tell the rought dimensions of it if possible,such as lendght,width and height just so i can check it will fit where im planning on putting it
thnaks

Most reactions

Back