Science Fair -- Fish?

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, my school science fair is coming up, (GR7s) Yeah, I'm still young. :) Still in Elementary, K-7.

Anything related to fishkeeping, or fishes I could work with?

How temperature affects a fishless cycle might be one. Brings fishless cycling to more people's attention.

You might be able to compare the way that a cycle is established using a fishless cycle and using the same thing with a start from an established filter. You could then compare the success using a cloned filter compared to using only what is available in your water.
The results would be interesting to all here and would show the effects of seeding a new filter for your science fair. A good writeup would include wqhy you expect a filter clone to be more rapid than a new filter and what the basic process of a cycle is.
Ultimately a benefit would be a pair of cycled filters on 2 new tanks.

kk, so there are two ideas! :) I'll look into them. Are there any more? :)

You could do a project involving the methods (tortures) of dyeing fish and how this negatively affects the fishes health. I feel that this is something that needs to be brought to people's attention, as most people don't know about it. There's several things I'm sure you could do on that topic, but I can't think of any specific experiments at the moment... but hey, it's a topic idea. Perhaps get a dyed fish and an un-dyed fish of the same species, keep in the same conditions, and document the appearance, health, behavior, etc. It's been so long since I did science fairs, I don't really know what to tell you, lol. But good luck!

maybe something simple too, how a fish reacts to proper care, you know good tank size heat and food vs how people think they should be kept ie tiny bowls. use a betta or a gold fish for they are often the two most abused fish out there on the market because of the misconceptions spread out there

What you would need to do is create you hypothesis, and then test it. If you were to do that, i would breed some convicts, and plit the batch into 4 groups. Put each group in a seperate 5 g tank. Have each tank 2 degree's higher than the next ( starting at say, 76 F). Feed them the exact same food, at the same time for 2-4 weeks, and see if the higher temp affected the growth rate. Its something i would do ( in past science fairs, i usually did something with mice, or frogs ect.)

I'm interested in the Fishless cycling idea, and the proper care idea too. (Good idea to buy new fish bowls/tanks) :)

But, what does that do with science? related in? As an experiment? Or a report? What topics would I have to talk about if I did choose one of them? ):

TMR I'll make a different thread, and I'll scan some pictures of the criteria, and timeline planning sheet, and rules. (Limit is 25 dollars?!)

I'm interested in the Fishless cycling idea, and the proper care idea too. (Good idea to buy new fish bowls/tanks) :)

But, what does that do with science? related in? As an experiment? Or a report? What topics would I have to talk about if I did choose one of them? ):

TMR I'll make a different thread, and I'll scan some pictures of the criteria, and timeline planning sheet, and rules. (Limit is 25 dollars?!)

I guess its a bit of biology and a bit of chemistry.

Biology = the bacteria, their growth, the fact they use fish waste as food. How they multiply..., nitrates being used as plant food (see below). Plant growth, plant care.

Chemistry = There is a heck of a lot of water chemistry going on when the bacteria get into action. The conversion of ammonia into nitrites and then further into nitrates that then act as plant food.

You could make your own ecosphere where the fish tank/glass bowl is concealed and everything inside has its own ecosystem that survives by itself. I think shrimp are usually used as inhabitants.

Most reactions

Back