Former Year 8-9 science teacher's zebrafish in 28 litre tank: Any advice you would give to her?

Hi everyone,

This thread is starting to get out of control now.

I did poor research myself before I got my 10 gallon. I don't know if a 7.5 gallon tank is good for zebra danios. I went to the zebrafish profile at Seriously Fish and according to that, they need to be in a group of 8 or more in a 20 gallon aquarium. Like I said, I will discuss my science teacher about good fishkeeping next year when I'm back at school.
What are you trying to achieve by telling her that she should get a bigger tank. She is most likely just following the opinions of many people who thought that the Zebra Danios would be fine. If you are trying to get her to buy a bigger tank it may not be that simple. You yourself are keeping fish in a tank that is to small for them, even though you are not allowed to get a bigger tank there are still ways to give them a better life such as rehoming.

A thread is not out of control when you run up against disagreement. If you expect one answer and get another, what will you do if the teacher has good ideas that run contrary to yours?
To me, these are situations best avoided. This is an advice forum and if we're here, we expect to hear from people. Out in the real world, I don't correct pet shop workers. If I owned the pet shop, I would, but they don't need my opinions. I used to frequent one store where they would ask me questions, and it was annoying sometimes. I would never go there in a hurry. But they asked. I never made a plan to correct them. It was the same in the fish clubs. I listened, I nodded.
I'm sure there are people who roll their eyes and say "not him again" on the forum. There are lots of people I'll never convince of anything, and lots who will convince me of things I hadn't thought of when I opened their threads.

The way Essjay has recommended is the right way to do so. You won't help the situation when you push a teacher.
I am married to a teacher and disagree but whatever I guess

I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever that the aquarist is a teacher. This person is running a tank with 2.5 gallons per fish. That's better than what others here do. I would never barge in out of the blue and criticize that person.

If a fellow fishkeeper asks for help, I'll offer it. But "ask" is essential. They open the discussion. I haven't gone out to educate a store worker or fellow fishkeeper since I was a teenager and knew everything. I wish I had been smarter then.

3 danios. Small group, but a common number. We have no idea of tank dimensions (which my personal rule says should be 8 to 10 times the total adult length of the fish). We don't know what kind of filter there is. How does the water circulate with the kit they've used? We don't know if the OP is familiar with keeping zebra danios, or has seriously looked into their needs.

I was a teacher, by the way, with a 75 gallon classroom tank that first overwintered a couple of shubunkins from a school pond, and after a summertime heron ate them, housed a community of threatened Goodeids, which I bred and distributed. I had kids who'd watched a youtube video tell me water changes were dumb. I was told I needed a large predator to eat the excess babies, because they were ugly and that would be natural. I was told I fed them wrongly. I was told to raise the temperature to 27, because that's what so and so online said for Discus. It was always sincere. I always said I'd think about it. The triumphant experts would wander off and lecture someone else on something else, and I'd run my tanks and hope there wouldn't be a next one anytime soon. Fishstore workers, importers, aquarium writers, speakers at clubs - they all experience this. It's not fun for them, and is rarely constructive.

I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever that the aquarist is a teacher. This person is running a tank with 2.5 gallons per fish. That's better than what others here do. I would never barge in out of the blue and criticize that person.

If a fellow fishkeeper asks for help, I'll offer it. But "ask" is essential. They open the discussion. I haven't gone out to educate a store worker or fellow fishkeeper since I was a teenager and knew everything. I wish I had been smarter then.

3 danios. Small group, but a common number. We have no idea of tank dimensions (which my personal rule says should be 8 to 10 times the total adult length of the fish). We don't know what kind of filter there is. How does the water circulate with the kit they've used? We don't know if the OP is familiar with keeping zebra danios, or has seriously looked into their needs.

I was a teacher, by the way, with a 75 gallon classroom tank that first overwintered a couple of shubunkins from a school pond, and after a summertime heron ate them, housed a community of threatened Goodeids, which I bred and distributed. I had kids who'd watched a youtube video tell me water changes were dumb. I was told I needed a large predator to eat the excess babies, because they were ugly and that would be natural. I was told I fed them wrongly. I was told to raise the temperature to 27, because that's what so and so online said for Discus. It was always sincere. I always said I'd think about it. The triumphant experts would wander off and lecture someone else on something else, and I'd run my tanks and hope there wouldn't be a next one anytime soon. Fishstore workers, importers, aquarium writers, speakers at clubs - they all experience this. It's not fun for them, and is rarely constructive.
I never kept zebra danios before, but I know their needs accordingly after doing research on them.

Here is the tank and its dimensions:

Hi everyone,

My teacher actually keeps a 20 litre tank, not a 28 litre tank. I apologise for the mistake made throughout the thread. I thought it was a 28 litre aquarium the whole time until I just realised that my science teacher owns an ANKO aquarium starter kit from Kmart while I was at school at the time. I'm not criticising her however. Everyone has different opinions. And you're right all along @GaryE. I will come back to school as a Year 12 student next year and discuss good fishkeeping to her, not the actual tank itself.

Here's the actual tank in the Kmart website:

Thank you for your understanding.

Wow they still have kmarts? I thought they went bankrupt years ago.

Most reactions

Back