Salinity Refractometer

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all. I want to know how do i collaborate this thing? do i just drop tap water in the hole or dechlorinated water??

I callibrated mine by putting R/O water over the slide and turning the dial until it read 0. I take it yours doesn't have a turn knob?

I'd say you need distilled or R/O water. I don't know for sure w/the type you have.

you will need to make some calibration fluid. get 65ml of RO water and add 35 grams of aquarium salt. then put it on the plate, and set the refractometer to 35 ppt/% calibration done

sorry now that i'am reading this it was very simply and easy to do, thank you all for your help and input.

you will need to make some calibration fluid. get 65ml of RO water and add 35 grams of aquarium salt. then put it on the plate, and set the refractometer to 35 ppt/% calibration done

Hi,

Are you sure this "receipe" is correct? Going from the directions given in the Reefkeeping website link that Ski posted, 35 grams of salt in the solution would require 925ml of RO water to give a 35 ppt calibration wouldn't it, or am I missing something :blink: ?? I only posted because I made up the solution you posted and my refractometer was off the scale lol.

Cheers,

AK

Yer, your quantity of water for the weight of salt is far closer than Trucks recommendation... 35ppt is roughly 1.026SG. That means that 1l of water with a salt concentration of 35ppt will weigh 1.026 KG, so 26g of salt is dissolved in a liter's volume of RO. Salt will displace some water though when it increases the density of the water, so you have to use less RO to get the exact 1l after dissolving the salt...

So, to make it plain & simple, to 1 lt of water at 20degress add 26g in salf (I presume any type of seasalt) will equal 35%?? I like it plain & simple. I want to check mine even though the LFS said it was ok.

I am soooooo thick..... I have just spent an hour trying to work out the best way to get 36g out of salt from a teaspoon (6.2g), when underneath in the info big C put on a tablespoon is 18.2g which 2 of them make 36.4g. I would also like to point out I am an accountant.

I am soooooo thick..... I have just spent an hour trying to work out the best way to get 36g out of salt from a teaspoon (6.2g), when underneath in the info big C put on a tablespoon is 18.2g which 2 of them make 36.4g. I would also like to point out I am an accountant.

*snicker*

I hear that, I'm a research scientist and terrible at math :D

Most reactions

Back