Flowerhorn issue

Update - Seems to be that he's getting some holes around his face and head they just started to show. Could that be from the rot that he has going on his tail?
How high were the nitrates?
Have you been doing some big water changes to bring the nitrates down and relieve the stress?
This sounds like HITH, which is pretty inevitable with high nitrates.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpeg
    IMG_1657.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1658.jpeg
    IMG_1658.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1660.jpeg
    IMG_1660.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 12
Nitrate is unlikely to be zero. What test kit did you use? If it's a liquid one you need to bang the reagent #2 bottle on a hard surface a few times before you shake it. If you don't, one of the ingredients precipitates out as a solid at the bottom of the bottle and you'll get false results... zero if it has all precipitated.

Nitrate is unlikely to be zero. What test kit did you use? If it's a liquid one you need to bang the reagent #2 bottle on a hard surface a few times before you shake it. If you don't, one of the ingredients precipitates out as a solid at the bottom of the bottle and you'll get false results... zero if it has all precipitated.
I am using the API test kit i will give it another shot right now

Edit update - ran the test again and it was just between 0-5pmm

Last edited:
What I read is Hole in the head is often caused by the parasite Hexamita. Cichlids are particularly prone to this fish disease, especially oscars and discus. Causes can include stress.
Use a medicine such as API General Cure which contains metronidazole. This active ingredient is one of the most effective treatments for Hole In The Head. SeaChem MetroPlex has metronidazole too.

It looks a bit like an advanced case of hole in the head disease, which is caused by Hexamita and Metronidazole is the medication of choice. However, it doesn't normally get to that stage quickly, it usually takes months.

Hexamita is caused by a dirty tank, gravel and filter that allows harmful pathogens to grow and affect the fish.

Treatment involves doing a big (75%) water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for week or at least a few days. Clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. This reduces the number of pathogens in the water. Then use Metronidazole.

It looks a bit like an advanced case of hole in the head disease, which is caused by Hexamita and Metronidazole is the medication of choice. However, it doesn't normally get to that stage quickly, it usually takes months.

Hexamita is caused by a dirty tank, gravel and filter that allows harmful pathogens to grow and affect the fish.

Treatment involves doing a big (75%) water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for week or at least a few days. Clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. This reduces the number of pathogens in the water. Then use Metronidazole.
Would it be a bad idea to move the fish into the 55 gal tomorrow with the new filter and everything?

If you change the filter you will cause ammonia problems that will make things worse. You are better off leaving the fish where it is until the problem is solved, especially if you need to use medication. treating a smaller tank is cheaper and easier than treating a bigger tank.

You can try doing some big water changes and gravel cleans and see if it helps but I think the fish needs medication (maybe Metronidazole) that treats bacteria and protozoa.

If you change the filter you will cause ammonia problems that will make things worse. You are better off leaving the fish where it is until the problem is solved, especially if you need to use medication. treating a smaller tank is cheaper and easier than treating a bigger tank.

You can try doing some big water changes and gravel cleans and see if it helps but I think the fish needs medication (maybe Metronidazole) that treats bacteria and protozoa.
Okay i will go ahead and do that then rather than stress him out even more. Will get the Metronidazole and dose it also i remember you mentioned aquarium salt should i also go ahead and do that?

if you can get metronidazole don't bother with the salt. Run the metronidazole for a week and see how it looks after that. If it works there should be a noticeable improvement within 24-48 hours of adding the medication and the fish should tart feeding again.

if you can get metronidazole don't bother with the salt. Run the metronidazole for a week and see how it looks after that. If it works there should be a noticeable improvement within 24-48 hours of adding the medication and the fish should tart feeding again.
So a bit of an update on the tank. I got metroplex on Sunday and dosed the tank with it and it seems that he is doing worse now. Going to do a water change tomorrow and dose it again see how that goes.

So a bit of an update on the tank. I got metroplex on Sunday and dosed the tank with it and it seems that he is doing worse now. Going to do a water change tomorrow and dose it again see how that goes.
I believe he is fighting both Hexmetia and a bacterial infection from the tailrot. You can use another antibiotic along side the MetroPlex so to address the tailrot infection.
If he were my fish, to fight the external infection, I would dose the water with SeaChem KanaPlex antibiotic and add a little to his food as well. SeaChem recommends using SeaChem Focus to mix KanaPlex into food and sprinkle a little SeaChem GarlicGuard to stimulate his appetite.

FYI, in the last two days I had to dose my Discus with KanaPlex to fight a tailrot issue. With one dose and in two days, his back dorsal and anal fins getting color back, and the shredded lower anal fin healed together, with color coming back. KanaPlex works well. He was getting tailrot from not eating well and having to fight for food with Roseline Barbs. I been trying to get him to eat flake food instead of only bloodworms but he is winning the fight.

Attachments

• 20240604_221400.jpg
    20240604_221400.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240604_221407.jpg
    20240604_221407.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I believe he is fighting both Hexmetia and a bacterial infection from the tailrot. You can use another antibiotic along side the MetroPlex so to address the tailrot infection.
If he were my fish, to fight the external infection, I would dose the water with SeaChem KanaPlex antibiotic and add a little to his food as well. SeaChem recommends using SeaChem Focus to mix KanaPlex into food and sprinkle a little SeaChem GarlicGuard to stimulate his appetite.

FYI, in the last two days I had to dose my Discus with KanaPlex to fight a tailrot issue. With one dose and in two days, his back dorsal and anal fins getting color back, and the shredded lower anal fin healed together, with color coming back. KanaPlex works well. He was getting tailrot from not eating well and having to fight for food with Roseline Barbs. I been trying to get him to eat flake food instead of only bloodworms but he is winning the fight.
I can try with food but he is not eating anything ATM. I did a 20 gal water change today and dosed it again with MetroPlex. I will go and get KanaPlex as well and dose alongside on Wednesday.

Thank you guys for all your help but unfortunately he ended up dying this morning after i dosed the tank again with MetroPlex. Appreciate everyones help with everything

Most reactions

Back