Rio Orinoco Biotope.

Maybe even months mate :lol: I just weigh mine down with rocks in the most unseen way i can. Sometimes it can't be helped but to see them, but usually they look ok.

Everything i have read has stated that Keyholes like clean and clear water as oppose to blackwater? Maybe i have missed something though. :lol:

So very nearly came home with 4 Keyholes this afternoon myself. :(

I'll just have to wait and see :lol:

& your right, Keyholes are found in clear water, but with tannings. Mine is still clear but with tannings. It's not that much of a 'blackwater' haha! Plus, it's tough for them now ;) My Cardinals seem to be loving it!

& You should of!

James.

Yeah Tetra's look so much better with tannins in the water. Would love some for my 180, but then i have no where for my Ellioti to go... :shout:

Hi James! Nice to see somebody using black sand. I would love to see some more pictures of it as I am going to do the same for my new set up, especially how the fish show of their colours.

Is there any progress on this tank? The month is over ... :rolleyes:

hello James
Im loving this set up. Did you sell the pims? they are a fish Id love to keep one day

any up to date pics?

hello James
Im loving this set up. Did you sell the pims? they are a fish Id love to keep one day

any up to date pics?

Hi Simon, hows it going bud?

I still have the Pims (playing with fire I know with the Cardinals) but sadly the Pims will be gone probably by the end of the week. Despite only having them a month or so, they are a great fish I've found. Very very active and have a cheeky personality. Would love to be able to keep a group of 6-8 in a bigger tank. Definitely a possibility for me in the future! (Can't say im looking forward to trying catching them :lol:

I'm going to up the Cardinals in the next few weeks to around 20-25. & maybe add a new species?

I've just today got some plants for in the tank, so when I plant them tomorrow i'll upload a new picture.

Cheers, James.

Here's where I'm at, at the minute. Excuse the not so great picture.

I've not had as much time on my hands as i'd like to concentrate on the tank hence my lack of forum activity. But i'm looking at adding a few more plants over the Christmas period. Maybe Brazilian Water Ivy and Amazon Frogbit?

As mentioned will offload the Pims and then look at a few possibly stocking options.

James.

Looking much better with the plants, Giant Vallis would look great in there a clump at one end that stretches to the other end I have it in my tanks and I love it

and thanks for asking Im fine thanks pal :good:

Cheers guys, Vallis would look nice along the back Simon. Might consider once i've got these current plants going well.

I'm going to try and borrow a half decent camera so I can take a nice shot of the tank and maybe a few shots of the fish. Keyhole's are doing well.

James.

Hey James, nice start. I look forward to following this one.

How's the wood doing? Is it showing any signs of sinking?

Hey James, nice start. I look forward to following this one.

How's the wood doing? Is it showing any signs of sinking?

Hi lljd, the wood is fully saturated now and sinks on it's own. I'm going to take a few more pictures this evening as I have a slighlty better camera phone than before.

Cheers, James.

Here's some new piccies as promised from a slightly better camera:

I might move the plants so they look as if they are planted a bit more naturally.

Cheers, James.

2 Pim Pictus (much debate about minimum tank size for these due to their active nature, but after much debate and second opinions I decided to try a pair. Especially when I realised they were native to the Orinoco! They look fantastic over the black substrate, really happy with them.

Hey James, are you worried about the Pims eating the cardinals ? I had one once that munched his way through 8 neons in one night...

EDIT: Oops I see you are letting them go. Big shame as they are beautiful fish. I love them too. Be careful when you try and catch them, they can seriously get their side barbs caught in the net. I used to use a plastic jug.

That low level bit of wood with the big chunk and then roots leading off to the left, is a stunning bit of wood. Where did you get it from ?

Tank is looking great. I love the blackwater effect. What is the eco complete like ? Did you find it leached ammonia at the start, and is it rough or smooth ? (Im wondering how Corydoras friendly it might be in case I change my substrate). More plants.... hehehe

2 Pim Pictus (much debate about minimum tank size for these due to their active nature, but after much debate and second opinions I decided to try a pair. Especially when I realised they were native to the Orinoco! They look fantastic over the black substrate, really happy with them.

Hey James, are you worried about the Pims eating the cardinals ? I had one once that munched his way through 8 neons in one night...

EDIT: Oops I see you are letting them go. Big shame as they are beautiful fish. I love them too. Be careful when you try and catch them, they can seriously get their side barbs caught in the net. I used to use a plastic jug.

That low level bit of wood with the big chunk and then roots leading off to the left, is a stunning bit of wood. Where did you get it from ?

Tank is looking great. I love the blackwater effect. What is the eco complete like ? Did you find it leached ammonia at the start, and is it rough or smooth ? (Im wondering how Corydoras friendly it might be in case I change my substrate). More plants.... hehehe

Hi Mishmash, yeah shame about the Pims. Lovely looking fish, really like the patterns on them but it's not risking a shoal of Cardinals which I will be increasing the numbers of in the future. & thanks for the advice on catching them, i'll have to probably remove the wood to have half a chance!

The piece of wood is from my local Maidenhead Aquatics :good:

The Eco is good, i'd say it's more rough than smooth but it's not too bad. I didn't notice an ammonia leach when testing, but I did very regular water changes at the time of transition. More plants to come definitely! Might have a play around with the layout too in the next few days

Cheers, James.

Most reactions

Back