Rescue operation-poor little Puffer. (Cookie)

We haven't decided yet, but possibly, if he survives, we'll call him 'Cookie'.. as in tough little cookie.

POOR little guy! :-(
Would have never had a chance if it weren't for nice folks like yourselves!
Hope he makes it! :D

good luck :D

I'm sure he'll thank you for it in the long run too! :nod:

did you show the store manager a piccy of martha?

I think it would have made your case even stronger!

You guys are the best, that little guy couldnt ask for better parents. Lets just hope he survives, and Hey, if he does im sure you can get him a good home.

Ben

How big of a tank do dwarf puffers need? Theres a couple at my local pet shop that look so cool... Would it be totaly ipossible for a begginer like me to have one?

MNfishy said:
How big of a tank do dwarf puffers need? Theres a couple at my local pet shop that look so cool... Would it be totaly ipossible for a begginer like me to have one?
Puffers need more space-per-fish than other fish because they're messy, aggresive and territorial, My rule of thumb for dwarfs is 5 gallons per puffer.

We have four in a 20gallon with a couple of small bristlenoses for cleanup.
Most other fish are unsuitable tankmates, because the puffers love the taste of fins. Bristlenoses seem to taste bad and get left alone.

Lots of caves & plants (real or fake)
They like a mild current and very clean water.

they will eat anything small and wriggly such as brineshrimp, daphnia, bloodworm and baby earthworms.
With patience they will take frozen foods too, but never flake and rarely dried foods.

The also love snails of any size.

awww well done :) I hope he survives for you, i guess if he survived the trip home he cant be *too* weak...right? *crosses fingers* that pic of martha actually made me laugh out loud, she is so FAT!

you made me feel bad now about not getting one in the end from there :-(

Would still love to own one but no one would help me out with water changes, plus I can't pack the tank full of plecs with a fahaka in!!

good luck with him hopefully he'll pull through. whats the min tank size they would eventually need?

Know how you feel when you saw this fish. We don`t buy fish on impulse ( like you don`t) but when you see a fish that needs rescuing, like Cookie did, then you can`t help it.

That`s what happened with our Palembang Puffers, we now have just under 6000 litres of water all in the lounge!

Our latest aquisition 4 spotted gars, only babies, have beenn in the mouth of a red snakehead in the store. One died but these 4 were pulled out of its mouth, then rescued by us. Unfortunately we know the shop will just get more in.

We rescued a hedgehog 2 days ago who is too small to hibernate, so we have to recreate summer for him and keep him warm and feeding. He likes water, he lays in his saucer of water to cool his belly when he`s been sleeping on his hot water bottle!!

Glad to hear of a happy ending for the little Fahaka, whether he lives or not is kind of not the point, the fact that he is safe from others and not starving is what counts. If he pulls through, then all the better.
Good luck,
Clare

Update:
Cookie is now in a 20 gallon tank on his own and looking rather lost with all the space he has.
If he survives, and grows at the same rate as Martha, this should do him for about two months before he needs something bigger.

Today he's been feeding well, he had most of a river shrimp then six or seven jumbo bloodworms.

We have to be careful not to feed him too much to start with until his stomach & guts are working properly again. As it is, his kidneys my be damaged from the starvation, but we'll just have to wait & see.

Maybe tomorrow, we'll try him on half a mussell.

paul_v_biker said:
you made me feel bad now about not getting one in the end from there :-(
Oh no, don't feel bad Paul. If you can't accomodate one then it's best if you don't get one. Honestly, you made the right decision.

When I saw Sir coming out of the store with the fahaka in the bag the first thing I thought was "OMG, where the heck are we gonna put it?!". Then after I realised that the poor thing would certainly have died soon enough I thought it was worth taking a chance. At least if he's gonna die, he'll die happy and loved.

If he survives we can always try and find another home for him. But if it comes down to it we'll just have to squeeze another (enormous) tank in somewhere. Whatever happens, we'll make sure he's looked after and given adequate housing.

Awww

U guys are so nice..... :)

As for a name how about Martin the Fahaka

get it Martha & Martin..... :D

Hope he makes it.... :)

Most reactions

Back