Regulating Heat In A Fishroom

Gun

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys..Can you help me out?

What it is..I'm having trouble controlling the room temperature in my fish house.Problem is when I heat the room..so as the 'bottom rack' tanks reach 78-79, the top tanks soar to 82-85+.

Currently only half the shed is being used with a temp partition in place. The half I'm using at the mo is roughly 10x11ft, with the skylight and small window blocked off (insulated). To heat the room I'm using an electric room heater. I can easily keep a room temp of 80-90+ even on the coldest day..it's circulating the heat that's causing me a problem.....?

Any ideas guys?

Maybe if I take all the heaters out of the top tanks and use them in the bottom tanks, set the room heater to suit the top tanks and let the internal heaters take care of bottom tanks....? If my top tanks are at 79-80C, my bottom tanks are around 72-74C..to give you an idea of the difference. I also don't have a fan in there at the moment. There's also the option of letting some air in (via skylight/small window...?).

Here's a few pics of the room...

Kev

You need a couple of fans in the room. Have them up high in the corners and have them ocellating (moving from left to right and back again).
Have heaters in the bottom tanks and the heat will rise upwards. Also lights on the bottom tanks will produce heat that rises upwards. I normally only heat the bottom row of tanks and only heat a top tank if discus, angels or Apistogrammas are being kept up high.

There will always be a slight difference in temperature between the top tanks and bottom tanks. However if there is lots of airflow around the room, the difference will be minimal (maybe 2 degrees C).

Cheers for that Colin :good:

Ok, so I'll move the heaters to the bottom rack, add a fan or two and see what happens.

I'd heat the room in a large set-up and use fans to circulate that heat. For smaller set-up's, use Colin_t's recomendation :good: Room heating is cheaper to run, but it's harder to get relatively even heating in a small space...

All the best
Rabbut

I think Colin has already hit on the right answer. Good air circulation, using a fan or two, will remove most of the hot and cold spots in the room.

Most reactions

Back