Red alert weather warnings

About an hour ago I took a thermometer from the kitchen drawer. It read 27.5 deg C. I went outside and stood in the shade - 38 deg C.
We do not have air con, but we do have cavity insulation and curtains with thermal linings which are kept closed during a heatwave. It works.

Edit to add, that's 82 deg F and 100 deg F
What's the level of humidity where you live?

82F is pretty rough for indoor temp, even for those of us who are used to hot temps (and ways to deal with it)

About an hour ago I took a thermometer from the kitchen drawer. It read 27.5 deg C. I went outside and stood in the shade - 38 deg C.
We do not have air con, but we do have cavity insulation and curtains with thermal linings which are kept closed during a heatwave. It works.

Edit to add, that's 82 deg F and 100 deg F
-38 degrees c,that seems reasonably cold to me😂.
Seriously,the met office deals in shade temperatures,so the 40 degrees predicted is shade temp. It’s nearer 50 in direct sunlight.I got a message from a workmate today to say it’s 66 degrees on a slated roof he is repairing,and I don’t mean the pitch.Luckily I got hospitalised with a back injury on Saturday and therefore won’t be working for a couple of weeks.

What's the level of humidity where you live?

In a bedroom in our house (the one with my husband's violas), the relative humidity is 48%. The media gives the relative humidity at a nearby airport as 19%. The Met Office predicted humidity for my town right now (5 pm) is 34%.

Relative humidity here is usually 70 to 90% depending on temperature and whether it's been raining or not.

This is terrifying

One thing often forgotten is that cars fitted with catalytic converters should never ever be parked on or near grass. Reason being is the catalytic converter makes an exhaust system hold onto the heat far longer after turning off the engine, especially on turbocharged cars where you have to idle the engine a while to let the turbo spool down before turning off the engine

This is terrifying

One thing often forgotten is that cars fitted with catalytic converters should never ever be parked on or near grass. Reason being is the catalytic converter makes an exhaust system hold onto the heat far longer after turning off the engine, especially on turbocharged cars where you have to idle the engine a while to let the turbo spool down before turning off the engine
Terrifying, indeed...I feel for those firefighters

I wonder if this heat wave and fires will get the governments talking again and try to have 0 emissions sooner, because this is only the start and it's going to get worse. You lot will have hotter weather more often, as will everyone else around the world.

I wonder if this heat wave and fires will get the governments talking again and try to have 0 emissions sooner, because this is only the start and it's going to get worse. You lot will have hotter weather more often, as will everyone else around the world.
If that is the case....then....

"Stop the world cos I want to get off!"

Siberia. I'm all for Siberia. I like you lot, but there are a lot of you and you are very sweaty now. We already get a lot of cruise ships full of Yanks escaping the sweltering heat, and we only have so much cold beer.

Answering original question - I would unplug heater, add ice if temp gets over 4 degrees normality for the fish you have. Add a $15 spout for ponds to your tank. This should help.

Yeah , you betcha. After they get done sitting on their hands.
They never bought Boris Johnson a comb.

Can we all not just move to Canada and Siberia? 💡
They are going to burn as well, it's just a matter of time.

The Earth is doomed unless we stop excess greenhouse gas emissions immediately, and that isn't going to happen. We needed to do this 20 years ago, it's too late now.

Most reactions

Back