Recycle

Thisisme

Reaction score
Hi, guts
I waa an aquarist in the 70s having bred a few different groups. How things have changed! I feel like a beginner again!
I have a 110l aquarium which has a regular water top up dur to condensation. Water always has Aquasafe in top up bottle.
My question is...do I need to remove some water as well and replace?
Thanks

Yes, you need to change around 50% of the water every week.

+1 - There is typically no such thing as too much clean, fresh water! Routine periodic partial water changes are key in keeping aquarium water suitable for happy, healthy fish and inverts. (top offs do not sufficiently replace polluted water. :)

I have found fish like large WC to the point where it will encourage breeding for many species. I have seen many tetra, cory and plecos respond this way to large WC. I like to do 80% WC monthly when I do substrate vacuuming on my 50+ gallon tanks.

Once an aquarist, always an aquarist. Yes, you do need to remove water periodically, condensation does not remove nitrates or the "nasty" stuff that needs to be replaced with fresh water.

Yes, you need to change around 50% of the water every week.

His I'm a bit behind... 50%? I do 25%... I also only have two small fish in there but still, even if I had some more... 50%? Seems like a lot of work for probably close to the same results of a 25% WC... Maybe a monthly 50%... I could see that...

It's not about just removing nitrate. My tap water has between zero and 5 with the tester and my tanks run at just about zero but I still do water changes. We can't test for most of the things excreted and secreted by the fish which will build up between water changes. And water changes replenish things used up from tap water, such as my low KH.

Most reactions

Back