Rebuilding an old abandoned 29g

How are they hidden? Please forgive me if you‘ve already specified & I lost track. The only concealed filters I have are in a sump tank.The two new Fluval AC 110s are the bigget ugliest filters I’ve ever seen! I hope to position them left & right on the tanks sides to minimize this ungodly sight. If that fails, I will dress them in lacy French pantaloons.
Essjay beat me to the punch! Canisters are outside the tank, to and just have an intake tube and an outflow (usually a spray bar) in the tank. The filter itself, in my case, is inside the cabinet below the tank, and out of sight.

Essjay beat me to the punch! Canisters are outside the tank, to and just have an intake tube and an outflow (usually a spray bar) in the tank. The filter itself, in my case, is inside the cabinet below the tank, and out of sight.
My stand is an antique dining room table for the 125 G on order. The canisters filters have sailed on this one, but as a future reference could I have placed apparatus under the table? I have an vinyl tablecloth on order. A wider one would have concealed any filter ugliness.
C88E449B-7D6F-4DCC-8558-503C96C1F291.jpeg

My stand is an antique dining room table for the 125 G on order. The canisters filters have sailed on this one, but as a future reference could I have placed apparatus under the table? I have an vinyl tablecloth on order. A wider one would have concealed any filter ugliness.View attachment 150100
Yes, canisters would work underneath that table.

The surface looks VERY uneven in that pic...beware...do not neglect to use foam board between the tank and table

And, a filled 125G tank (water only, no deco or substrate) weighs around 1,400 pounds....just sayin'

I would be wary of using even a floating bottom tank on a very uneven surface. The entire rim which projects below the tank floor does need to be in contact with the stand. If parts don't touch the stand it could twist the tank.

Yes, canisters would work underneath that table.

The surface looks VERY uneven in that pic...beware...do not neglect to use foam board between the tank and table

And, a filled 125G tank (water only, no deco or substrate) weighs around 1,400 pounds....just sayin'
Slap, you missed yesterday’s convo. & possibly previous ones on this subject. I talked to the tank’s manufacturer at Aqueon recently. Tech there says no worries re how much weight the tank interior can accommodate. And he says no underlayment required for tanks of this construction. He adds I can fill it to the top with large rocks should I so desire. Matt has built a strong foundation of 6 posts under the floor. We expect the filled tank to weigh in at 1500 pds. Matt is reasonably certain we don’t need this additional support, but I had concerns as the new tank will sit next to one that weighs ~1100 pds. But it was not a big job for him & he built it to ease my mind.
4F51352D-1AF1-48E4-8342-2464C1DACFED.jpeg

Now I do know that’s not what you‘re addressing here now, but yesterday I took a level to the table top. it’s as flat as my last attempt at baking a cake. See pics.

As to the tilt you see, it’s most likely from how I held the iPad. Or mis-held it, I should say. A little more of a tilt & I could have had that table parallel to the wall. 😹😹😹

PS. I continue to work on improving my fish related photography skills.
F7C7151A-DA8F-4E9C-BD7A-921BFB19C216.jpeg

Understood...but it's not the floor I'm concerned about, it's that table

I would still add foamboard between the tank and the table...the slightest imperfection could spell catastrophe

I do not understand. That level was placed on the table top, not the floor beneath.

Matt has plans to reinforce the table. Plan A was a 4x4 post secured by two of the same bases used for the 6 posts underneath, in the middle of the table. We bought the materials at Lowe’s Sunday. Now he’s moved onto a bigger & better Plan B. I did not quite grasp this new plan & said he has to spell it out for me by the table. But he’s been busy with work. I will know more on the weekend when he buys the additional support boards etc.

Last edited:
yes, it is indeed as are all of my tanks. I do not understand why some are constructed differently, but my tanks appear to be the US norm.

And we also worked out that the tank Jenny is buying is a floating base tank, not a flat bottomed tank.
Still, any stand imperfection will put undue stress on the tank bottom trim...which will translate to the tank bottom glass...foam boards are used for both style of tank.

Even store-bought stands can have surface imperfections.

I had a Juwel Rio floating base tank, and the instructions for that said using a base mat invalidated the warranty!
But a mat between the rim and the stand is not the same as having a thick layer inside the rim, supporting the floor glass, and so thick that the rim does not touch the stand which is what I think Juwel meant invalidated the warranty.

I had a Juwel Rio floating base tank, and the instructions for that said using a base mat invalidated the warranty!
But a mat between the rim and the stand is not the same as having a thick layer inside the rim, supporting the floor glass, and so thick that the rim does not touch the stand which is what I think Juwel meant invalidated the warranty.
For American tanks anyway, the bigger the tank, the wider the trim, thus the further from the stand the bottom glass sits....if that makes sense

Still, any stand imperfection will put undue stress on the tank bottom trim...which will translate to the tank bottom glass...foam boards are used for both style of tank.

Even store-bought stands can have surface imperfections.
Whaaaat??? Are you suggesting a 150 yr old table may have surface imperfections? Blasphemy! Things were built to last back in the day.

BTW, the level placed on the table surface is 48” inches long & has 3 tube vials. Only the center was useful on my horizontal surface. The others are used vertically.

My stand is an antique dining room table for the 125 G on order. The canisters filters have sailed on this one, but as a future reference could I have placed apparatus under the table? I have an vinyl tablecloth on order. A wider one would have concealed any filter ugliness.View attachment 150100
It does look very uneven in this picture, but maybe that's just the perspective. That carving of a dog underneath is VERY realistic!

Most reactions

Back