Ready For The Marine Challenge (again)!

do you plan on keeping disease-prone fish and having laid-back quarantine policies?

guess its a no on the UV then.....

First fish tomorrow

woohoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Intend to keep up with regular maintenance and a few hardy fish + cuc to begin with, till I get more of an understanding.

Struggling to find about a durso (tried durso standpipe + all sorts on google). From what I understand it is basically a u-bend (45 / 90') fitted to the top of the intake pipe, although as you can see my intake is basically just a hole in the bottom of the tank with a bulkhead + 1 1/4" pipe to the sump (as pics on page 1). Would I need to install another intake pipe (1 1/4"), slightly lower than the over-flow pipe?

Grateful for any pointers.

Good news on the fish Jetbox, I'm a long way off yet.

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 29
Hi,

Picked up two Occ clowns yesterday from my LFS Sooooo excited.

dripped water into bag for a couple of hours to aclimatise them and then popped them in. Left the lights out all day yesterday to let them settle so no photos yet.

Hope to take some today.

Lost Jock: re the durso try google search for durso and stockman standpipe. Yes you need an extra piece of pipe to fit into the bulkhead connector. I tried to make a stockman but its not been successful so far. The level kept rising and falling (cycling) along with the toilet flushing noise. I gave up for now, not sure if the drain hole is not large enough or the it not getting enough air???

Good luck and us know how you get on

jetbox

Here is a photo of my new clowns. Appear to be settling ok but will not take flake food only brine shrimp.

Happy holidays everyone and thanks for all your help so far!!!!

Jetbox

fishtank_013.jpg

cute nemos! Try adding flake in with the brine so they start to associate them with each other and they'll eventually accept just flake.

Nice one, lovely fish :good:

Having a bit of a nightmare, everything was fine until yesterday and woke up with brown algea all over tank, sand-bed and rocks. Just happened overnight :angry:

Been adding cycle and buff weekly. Haven't done any water changed as evaporates about 1ltr a day and just been topping up with DI water.

Only been testing SG (1.022), ALK (2.8), pH (8.6), nitrite (0.05) & temp (24-26 varying - just got another heater) with stuff have got part of a sand starter set. Just bought an API master kit so will be able to test for all the main things. Also got a hydor korilla to hopefully get rid of algea on rocks.

Have had a good look over forum about the algea and understand it mostly due to water quality, but can't find anything similar. Any ideas?

Have a nice xmas!

here's a better picture of my news friends!!!!

fishtank_027.jpg

Lost Jock. sounds like diatoms. mine did the same although not overnight... around when this happened I got some CUC and its clearing nicely now. In my tank the brown does appear on the sand over the week but then I syphon the sand once a week with the water change. What is your phosphate level?? Mine was 0.5 when I first measured it, its now down to 0.25 with some rowaphos but does not seem to want to get any lower. The phosphate will contribute to the algae growth. I am sure this phase will soon pass.... good luck.........

Jetbox

bad news I am gutted................

checked the tank this morning and one is dead...........

The other shows signs of a white velvety area on it body. Both looked fine and were feeding yesteday...

Is there anything I can do for the one left. Any treatments to help?? No fish shops open for a few days to buy anything

Please help

Jetbox

Most reactions

Back