Rare Diseases

NeonTetra97

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently been having bad experience with illness in my tank (posted in the emergencies section) and I have spent some time reading about the various diseases fish can get. Some sound truly horrific, and knowing we as the keepers can catch them too is awful! 

This leads on to my question: How likely is it we will ever come into contact with these rare and or dangerous diseases ourselves while in the hobby? And have you had any personal experience? 

One that sounds particularly bad to me is fish tb, have you even had this in your tank? If so, how did you treat it? 

Fish TB is vanishingly rare; most GPs will never see a case. Fish TB cannot get through your skin; it can only infect you though open cuts or grazes, so use gloves if you have broken skin on your hands and you suspect you might have it in your tank. In the normal run of things, if your tank is otherwise healthy, there's no need to worry.

I can tell you that me, my mum, and my best friend have all kept fish for over 25 years, and none of us have ever caught anything from our tanks
smile.png

fluttermoth said:
Fish TB is vanishingly rare; most GPs will never see a case. Fish TB cannot get through your skin; it can only infect you though open cuts or grazes, so use gloves if you have broken skin on your hands and you suspect you might have it in your tank. In the normal run of things, if your tank is otherwise healthy, there's no need to worry.

I can tell you that me, my mum, and my best friend have all kept fish for over 25 years, and none of us have ever caught anything from our tanks
smile.png

I shouldn't be listening to the scaremongering, getting all paranoid now I've had my first 'serious' disease outbreak. Some articles makes fish keeping sound as dangerous as an extreme sport! 

Most reactions

Back