Random new guppy death!!

50% plus water change everyday you get a non zero ammonia or nitrite reading.
I already have 0 nitrites but I don’t have ammonia test strips yet so I’ll do it till I get them which is gonna be on Wednesday. But is there anything else cause some other people said add plants and stuff.

I already have 0 nitrites but I don’t have ammonia test strips yet so I’ll do it till I get them which is gonna be on Wednesday. But is there anything else cause some other people said add plants and stuff.
yes, fast growing floaters such as duckweed, red root floater, and water lettuce
are easy to come by and are very hardy
also plants such as hornwort and anacharis can help with it too

Plants will eat ammonia, that is what they getting at. I still wonder if it's going to turn out you water is fine though. If the other fish are showing ill health I would do 50% plus water changes everyday and just ASSUME you have positive ammonia result until you can prove otherwise.

Worst harm that will do if it's not needed is you waste a little time, water and conditioner.

Plants will eat ammonia, that is what they getting at. I still wonder if it's going to turn out you water is fine though. If the other fish are showing ill health I would do 50% plus water changes everyday and just ASSUME you have positive ammonia result until you can prove otherwise.

Worst harm that will do if it's not needed is you waste a little time, water and conditioner.
There is 6 in my tank that actually look normal. The other 3 is the ones in there’s photos which look like something is wrong with them. The one on the top definitely have something wrong with them. The 2 on the bottom just hide a lot. They look healthy on the outside they just are hiding a lot.

Attachments

• D135D79D-41A0-4243-B1FE-5BE409C0C3BD.jpeg
    D135D79D-41A0-4243-B1FE-5BE409C0C3BD.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 4829A484-432B-4EC4-85A3-97EED1169BF9.jpeg
    4829A484-432B-4EC4-85A3-97EED1169BF9.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 34
Just a question when I get these what maintenance will I have to do for them? Like do I have to give them some type of growing pellet or something?

Just a question when I get these what maintenance will I have to do for them? Like do I have to give them some type of growing pellet or something?
no, macro ferts will just add the stuff you want to get rid of
look for micro ferts instead (all the stuff other than the big things that make the plant grow well)
put them near the light and dont make them rot (if they do, then cut the rot leaves since it will add more amm +trites+trates

Just a question when I get these what maintenance will I have to do for them? Like do I have to give them some type of pellets
no, macro ferts will just add the stuff you want to get rid of
look for micro ferts instead (all the stuff other than the big things that make the plant grow well)
put them near the light and dont make them rot (if they do, then cut the rot leaves since it will add more amm +trites+trates
Ok thanks 👌

I actually think that’s smart, but can I put plants in my normal gravel? Like I thought you need a bunch of stuff to keep plants in your tank. And will my polyfil in my filter hurt plants if I get them?
Of course you can. Just take great care not to crush anything when you put it in.
Gravel doesn't supply nutrients, like soil in a garden, but it is excellent for allowing water to flow through it and it is the water that contains the nutrients.
Your polyfil won't affect your plants...none of your filter media will affect your plants.

Fertilisers depend on the type of plants. Some plants feed through their roots (for example cryptocorynes, sword plants) so they need root tabs pushing into the substrate near the roots. Seachem Flourish root tabs are among the better ones. Other plants feed through their leaves, and this includes floating plants, and those like java fern and anubias which are attached to decor. These need a liquid feed - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a good one.

In an established tank, when everything's running as it should and you're wanting a glorious display of plant life, then extra fertilisers play their part.
HOWEVER...

In this instance, you're wanting your plants to eat up the toxic waste produced by the fish, so don't spoil them by giving them 'extra' fertilisers.
Just leave them to feed off that waste and grow.

Many of us have almost self-sufficient little ecosystems, were practically all of the waste is taken up by either plants, or/and snails and shrimp.
Sometimes, it works so well that there aren't enough animals making enough waste for the plants to feed on and they need a boost. That's when the extra fertilisers come into their own.

Fertilisers depend on the type of plants. Some plants feed through their roots (for example cryptocorynes, sword plants) so they need root tabs pushing into the substrate near the roots. Seachem Flourish root tabs are among the better ones. Other plants feed through their leaves, and this includes floating plants, and those like java fern and anubias which are attached to decor. These need a liquid feed - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a good one.
I will definitely make sure I get those

In an established tank, when everything's running as it should and you're wanting a glorious display of plant life, then extra fertilisers play their part.
HOWEVER...

In this instance, you're wanting your plants to eat up the toxic waste produced by the fish, so don't spoil them by giving them 'extra' fertilisers.
Just leave them to feed off that waste and grow.

Many of us have almost self-sufficient little ecosystems, were practically all of the waste is taken up by either plants, or/and snails and shrimp.
Sometimes, it works so well that there aren't enough animals making enough waste for the plants to feed on and they need a boost. That's when the extra fertilisers come into their own.
Nice that they feed off of the bad things in the tank that actually is super helpful to keep ammonia and nitrites down. How often should I feed them the fertilizers roots?

Most reactions

Back