Random Fact Index

[bFact #25Fish have been on the earth for more than 450 million years.

Fact #26Fish were well established long before dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Fact #27It is estimated that there may still be over 15,000 fish species that have not yet been identified.
There are more species of fish than all the species of amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals combined.

Fact #2840% of all fish species inhabit fresh water, yet less than .01% of the earth's water is fresh water.

Fact #29Some species of fish can fly (glide) others can skip along the surface and others can even climb rock.

Fact #30Fish have a specialized sense organ called the lateral line which works much like radar and helps them navigate in dark or murky water.

Fact #31The largest fish is the great whale shark which can reach fifty feet in length

Fact #32Tropical fish are one of the most popular pets in the U.S.

Fact #33Many tropical fish sold in the United States are harvested from the wild in Africa, Asia, and Central and South America.

Don't mudskippers live on land?

Fact #35 Like the archerfish, some gouramis are capable of spitting jets of water from the water surface

Fact #35: I am grateful for the fact that this thread is still going, despite a rocky start. I am also grateful that those rocks have smoothed out now.

Fact #36: The aptly named Land Catfish is the only fish that lives on land it's entire life. Though it lives near rivers, when thrown in it will struggle desperately to get out, and back to it's leaf litter pile.

Fact #40: Mollies (Poecilia sp.) are, in my opinion, some of the most hardy larger animals on Earth. They can survive in, quite literally, any water conditions, including salt- fresh- and brackish water, coolwater, pH values from 6.0 to 9.0, and even water with extremly high levels of toxic ammonia and nitrite (7.0 ppm), and can adapt to almost all of these conditions nearly instantly.

Good to see the forum still has a distate for accurate science. How dare someone actually challenge what seems like a good claim?

[sarcasm]

Bignose, how dare you challenge what is written and actually ask for evidence to back up a fact?

[/sarcasm]

For facts:

Fact # The puffers (Family Tetraodontidae) despite having a scientific name indicating 4 teeth in fact have no dental teeth. Their beak is actually the sharpened edge of the jaw bone. It only appears that there are teeth.

Good Grief! [/charlie brown]

I just wanted to discuss and ask a few questions about what was presented. I just wanted to know how good of a barameter the loaches were. I just wanted to know how the intelligence of the squid was measured. I just wanted people to know that sharks do get cancer and that the people who are killing them just to harvest their cancer-fighting cells are killing sharks for no reason. I just wanted to amend the fact that there are several fish that have been labeled smallest, very much like the discussion about pluto and other trans-Neptune objects.

There has to be reasons for what was said, and I was just curious what those reasons were, I don't think that is too much to ask.

Asking and discussing things are what this forum should be about.

And if I am 'anal' for that, how anal are you that you had to point out that anal was just as an adjective rather than a noun? Either way, its an insult, and again I really thought that this forum was more adult than this.

You cannot fool anyone into thinking that your intentions were honorable...you set out to completely dismiss as many of the "facts" as you could. When you were asked to participate in the listing of "facts" you failed to do so. Backtrack all you want, but we are smarter than that.

Also, I never said sharks cannot get cancer...I said they are NEARLY immune to cancer which means their cancer rates are extremely low.

Fact #40: Mollies (Poecilia sp.) are, in my opinion, some of the most hardy larger animals on Earth. They can survive in, quite literally, any water conditions, including salt- fresh- and brackish water, coolwater, pH values from 6.0 to 9.0, and even water with extremly high levels of toxic ammonia and nitrite (7.0 ppm), and can adapt to almost all of these conditions nearly instantly.

That's an opinion, not a fact! :shifty: :D

People you need to research what you are stating as fact.

Chestnut moray, I've never heard about Mantis shrimp emitting any sort of light, there is one species that flouresces green and there is more than abundant evidence that they can see well beyond what we can, with up to 16 visual pigments and the the ability to detect polarity of light. Also, the super heating and ultrasound are side effects of the high presure of the pistol shrimps gun, along with the light emitted, they do not cause the water to shoot out, but rather the mechanical construction of the gun.

Also, taxonomic facts aren't really that good IMHO, there are lots of interesting facts about aquatic critters, errors or placement in the artificial construct that lineus devised isn't really about fish so much as about humans.

Bull,

I have an invisible elf in my backyard that tells me my facts. Go ahead prove that I don't.

It is the same thing. Unfortunately, my elf also tells me you are wrong, and so does a friendly little search of Google:

"Discovery of shark cancer" http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bz050/sharksgetcancer.html

"Alternative cancer cures are a myth"
http://www.pjonline.com/pdf/articles/pj_20...ancer%20myth%22

Not good enough for ya, how about a peer-reviewed scientific journal?

"Shark cartilage, cancer and the growing threat of pseudoscience." Ostrander et al. Cancer Research 2004.
from the article:

"The promotion of crude shark cartilage extracts as a cure for cancer has contributed to at least two significant negative outcomes: a dramatic decline in shark populations and a diversion of patients from effective cancer treatments. An alleged lack of cancer in sharks constitutes a key justification for its use. Herein, both malignant and benign neoplasms of sharks and their relatives are described, including previously unreported cases from the Registry of Tumors in Lower Animals, and two sharks with two cancers each. "

I bet these sharks got cancer because they are in on the conspiracy, aren't they Bullrock?

What about the New York Times? "Deflating the myth of sharks and cancer" by J. O'Neil. 18 April 2004

One more, how about the AAAS, (American Association for the Advancement of Science), publishers of Science one of the most respected journals today. http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/288/5464/259d

from this "Gary Ostrander of The Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and John Harshberger of George Washington University in Washington, D.C., say they found at least 40 cancer cases in sharks and their close relatives after surveying scientific papers and fish tumor samples from the National Cancer Institute's Registry of Tumors in Lower Animals. The cases included three cartilage cancers. The findings were announced last week in San Francisco at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research."

At least 40 cases of cancer in sharks ... includ[ing] three cartilage cancers

How's that for proof? I think I can probably go on a lot longer, what proof to do bring to the table?

I think that I am going to completely, 100%, unequivocally stand by my word of bogus.

I also realize that the above evidence will do little to persuade you, if you read it at all, but my invisible elf just told me I am right, so I think you're wrong either way.

Fact #22: The ancient Egyptians are usually accredited with being the first people to keep aquarium fishes. Anthropologic evidence shows that they kept large fish in ponds for food, and smaller species in their homes to impress their friends.

:thanks:
oops fact #22 may not be true
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tropical_fish/101988
and
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/history-of-f...-as-a-hobby.php
and a bit more:
Fish keeping began
with the Sumerians
more than 4,500 years ago.
The first display aquarium
opened in 1853
at Regent's Park in London.
boboboy fact#1
1856.... A groundbreaking essay called Sea in a Glass by Emil Adolf Roßmäßler was published in Germany. This work is recognised as the beginning of the aquarium hobby that we know today.
boboboy fact#2
Even though Bettas do well in waters low in dissolved oxygen, that does not mean they require less oxygen than other fish. Bettas have a special respiratory organ that allows them to breath air directly from the surface. In fact they inherently must do so. In experiments where the labyrinth organ was removed, the fish died from suffocation even though the water was saturated with oxygen. For this reason, Bettas must have access to the water surface to breath air directly from the atmosphere.
boboboy fact#3
Students who are fish owners
score the highest on both
math and verbal SATs,
with a combined score
200 points higher
than non-pet owners.

High schoolers who keep fish
or other pets have an average
GPA of 3.5, versus
non-pet owners at 3.2.
boboboy fact#4
There are 3 types of silver dollars. One type is full silver, the most common type worldwide. A rarer type is the spotted silver dollar which looks exactly the same as the normal silver dollar except that there are many dark spots on the body. The last type is the most rare, the red-heart silver dollar. It looks like a normal silver dollar except there is a red marking on the side of the body like how the bleeding heart tetra has a red mark on its body.
boboboy fact#5
Mochokidae (upsidedown catfish) has no scales

FACT#666

owned.

If you play Quake, CounterStrike, Wolfenstein, whatever, if you get your butt seriously kicked by someone you are then said to be 'owned' by said butt kicker.

Andy.

Oh, come on guys, keep going! This is quite entertaining! :lol:

Go Bullrock74! :yahoo:

However, I think I'm going to stay out of this; whenever I get involved with these debates, they always spiral even more out of control! :lol:

Also,
I'm no idiot! :lol:

-Lynden

Most reactions

Back