Quid?

ox5477

Wet pets make the best Pets
Reaction score
What the hell exactly is a quid? Is the same as a Pound, a Euro? Sorry that this isn't fish related but just always see it and being the ignorant American who doesn't understand what the hell you guys are saying sometimes... just wanted to know exactly what it is. thanks

Ox :good:

Yes a quid is another name for £ pound

yup, and a ton is £100, tenner is £10, fiver is £5

can't remember what a monkey is though...... :unsure:

as stated a quid is a £.

we dont use Euro's here.

We use the queens English and the queens currency.

Simon - technically it was'nt a question from MW, just a statement :p

U guys are part of the EU right? How do they let you get away without Euros. I thought it was standard throughout the EU to use only Euros now?

Ox :blink:

U guys are part of the EU right? How do they let you get away without Euros. I thought it was standard throughout the EU to use only Euros now?

Ox :blink:

Because we are the bestest country in the world , LONG LIVE ENGLAND!! :D

well i wont dispute that... as Im almost 75% english heritage... but still... there are rules to being a part of the EU anf I thought one of them was to use the standardized currency... hmm... I think I'll look back into my college notes. Took a class on the formation and running of the EU... has to be something in there about this. Thanks guys

nah, our government got out of it, not sure of the politics, but anyone who tried to get us onto the Euro would be out of power in the next election so the government have found a way around it.

basically when the decision was made a couple of years ago the £ was so strong it would have buggered up our economy to go onto the euro, so we didn't. may have changed now with the economy changing but that's another discussion.

Here we go.... found what I was looking for. using quotes from wikipedia (easier then retyping):

The United Kingdom has an opt-out from eurozone membership under the Maastricht treaty and is not obliged to join the euro. While the government is in favour of membership provided the economic conditions are right (requiring that "five economic tests" be met), the question has never been put to referendum.[24] The United Kingdom was forced to withdraw the pound sterling from the ERM (the precursor to ERM II) on Black Wednesday (16 September 1992) due a mismatch between its benchmark currency parity and its economic performance, and the pound is not part of ERM II.

Where-in these five tests include:

1. Are business cycles and economic structures compatible so that we and others could live comfortably with euro interest rates on a permanent basis?
2. If problems emerge is there sufficient flexibility to deal with them?
3. Would joining EMU create better conditions for firms making long-term decisions to invest in Britain?
4. What impact would entry into EMU have on the competitive position of the UK's financial services industry, particularly the City's wholesale markets?
5. In summary, will joining EMU promote higher growth, stability and a lasting increase in jobs?

In 2001 and 2003, the government assessed these questions and found that joining the EMU would only be beneficial if convergence and flexibility were sufficient. So, that is why you guys still use the Pound though the Euro is accepted in some places throughout the country.

Here we go.... found what I was looking for. using quotes from wikipedia (easier then retyping):

The United Kingdom has an opt-out from eurozone membership under the Maastricht treaty and is not obliged to join the euro. While the government is in favour of membership provided the economic conditions are right (requiring that "five economic tests" be met), the question has never been put to referendum.[24] The United Kingdom was forced to withdraw the pound sterling from the ERM (the precursor to ERM II) on Black Wednesday (16 September 1992) due a mismatch between its benchmark currency parity and its economic performance, and the pound is not part of ERM II.

Where-in these five tests include:

1. Are business cycles and economic structures compatible so that we and others could live comfortably with euro interest rates on a permanent basis?
2. If problems emerge is there sufficient flexibility to deal with them?
3. Would joining EMU create better conditions for firms making long-term decisions to invest in Britain?
4. What impact would entry into EMU have on the competitive position of the UK's financial services industry, particularly the City's wholesale markets?
5. In summary, will joining EMU promote higher growth, stability and a lasting increase in jobs?

In 2001 and 2003, the government assessed these questions and found that joining the EMU would only be beneficial if convergence and flexibility were sufficient. So, that is why you guys still use the Pound though the Euro is accepted in some places throughout the country.

And the all important public vote!

Most reactions

Back