Questions On Behaviour Of Cherry Barb

keithbrown53

Reaction score
Hi there

I've been running a 35L Bi-ube for about 6 weeks now.....my first tank ever.

On day 1, I filled it up, added the supplied chemicals (Stress-Zyme and Stress-Coat), and left it for a week.

After that week was up, I added 2 Rummy Nosed Tetras (RNTs from here on in).

They both looked shocked (gasping, not moving, pale faces) for a few hours, but have since looked absolutely fine.

The RNTs dart around quite happily, and eat voraciously when I drop in some flake food.

3 weeks after that, I added 2 Cherry Barbs (CBs!). That evening, I couldn't see one of the CBs.

The next morning, I still couldn't see it, so removed all the artificial plants, and ornaments, etc.

The CB was not there.....I'm assuming he has been eaten.

There is no way for him to be sucked into the filter in the Biube; it's under the gravel.

At that point, I performed my only water change so far (25%). I'm planning on another at the weekend.

Whilst the 2 RNTs continue to look very happy, and eat well, I have yet to see the remaining CB eat anything....ever!

I have to assume it is eating something, at some point, or it would be dead by now?

Whilst it does have periods of activity, it seems to simply 'drift' in the water, not making any efforts at moving.

So the questions are (at last!); why is it not eating, and why is it not moving much.

The CB does not appear to have any signs of disease that I can see.....

I'd be interested in your comments.

Cheers,
Keith.

Hi Keith,

I had a Biorb and had one fish who would swim down the bubble tube and get stuck, have you checked this out for your missing barb? Just a thought :good:

Hi

Just wondering becaue i got a new biorb, I take you did a fish-In cycle.

Was it easy to do?

Thanks

Hi Keith,

I had a Biorb and had one fish who would swim down the bubble tube and get stuck, have you checked this out for your missing barb? Just a thought :good:

Hi

It's not in the bubble tube; I had a look in there. Good thought though!

Cheers,
Keith.

Hi

Just wondering becaue i got a new biorb, I take you did a fish-In cycle.

Was it easy to do?

Thanks

Hi there

I just followed the instructions in the box. Added tap water, then the chemicals. The instructions said you only had to wait a day before adding fish; I waited for a week.

Cheers,
Keith.

Thanks.

Yeah i am not sure about the fish but if you cant find it anywhere i would think it has been eaten.

I just followed the instructions in the box. Added tap water, then the chemicals. The instructions said you only had to wait a day before adding fish; I waited for a week.

Unfortunately, your tank hasn't been cycled at all (although, after six weeks, it's probably coming to the end of an unintentional fish-in cycle). You might be shocked to know that the 'add water and leave it a day' that most shops and manufacturers recommend does virtually nothing. Have a read of the pinned topics in this forum to get a bit more understanding.

As it's been six weeks, like I say, you're probably nearly there already, but I'd advise starting on a water change regime ASAP. Do you have a water testing kit? If so, post up the results, if not then I'd suggest you do a 50% water change daily until you can be sure of what your water stats are.

This would almost certainly explain why you're having trouble with the CB's.

I must admit That I found the Biorbs extremely easy to maintain. I started with a 30 then went onto a 60. I now have a 120ltr aquarium. My dream would be a 350ltr but just a dream at the moment. Sorry I digress. I found that you can clean the filter with the tank water without shelling out everytime for the complete unit and water changes will keep the biorb in tip top condition. I even used the scratch remover for the 60ltr (Ex shop display) and it bought it up lovely. :good:

Unfortunately, your tank hasn't been cycled at all (although, after six weeks, it's probably coming to the end of an unintentional fish-in cycle). You might be shocked to know that the 'add water and leave it a day' that most shops and manufacturers recommend does virtually nothing. Have a read of the pinned topics in this forum to get a bit more understanding.

As it's been six weeks, like I say, you're probably nearly there already, but I'd advise starting on a water change regime ASAP. Do you have a water testing kit? If so, post up the results, if not then I'd suggest you do a 50% water change daily until you can be sure of what your water stats are.

This would almost certainly explain why you're having trouble with the CB's.

Hi there

I don't have a test kit, but it sounds like I should get one....do you have any recommendations?

With regards to the water changing regime, I was planning on 25% every 2 weeks; given that you think I'm probably at the end of a cycle, would that be enough?

I did initially read up about cycling, and read about sticking in a prawn and waiting a month, but when the Biube arrived, and said I could get things operational in a day, I decided to follow the Biube instructions.....which may well have been a bad move.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
Keith.

Hey Keith i know you didnt ask for stocking advice but a 35l boirb is probably the most unsuitable tank you could possibly have for a rummy nose tetra. they need to be kept in shoals of at least 6 in a tank measuring 80cm long or there abouts.

The best thing you could possibly do for these fish is invest in a larger rectangle tank & increase the numbers (slowly as your tank sounds as if it is still cycling).

As for the cherry barb its more than likely ammonia or nitrate poisoning thats leading to their inactivity. As RedeyesUK said you need a test kit & need to start performing daily water changes.

Hope this helps a bit & hopefully it works out for you

when the Biube arrived, and said I could get things operational in a day, I decided to follow the Biube instructions.....which may well have been a bad move.

Don't worry, you won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last!

For the water test kits, a lot of people on here recommend the API master test kit, personally I prefer the Hagen mini master kit. Both can be found quite easily for about £20 or so. Just steer clear of any paper test strips, they're inaccurate at best.

Until you've got that and have some idea of what your water stats are, I'd do 50% water changes just to be on the safe side.

I have just purchased the API freshwater test kit which i think is very very good.

It does around 800 test so should last a long time.

I agree with cor2008 rummy nose tetra need a big tank and a very delicate and should be kept in perfect water conditions.

Hey Keith i know you didnt ask for stocking advice but a 35l boirb is probably the most unsuitable tank you could possibly have for a rummy nose tetra. they need to be kept in shoals of at least 6 in a tank measuring 80cm long or there abouts.

The best thing you could possibly do for these fish is invest in a larger rectangle tank & increase the numbers (slowly as your tank sounds as if it is still cycling).

As for the cherry barb its more than likely ammonia or nitrate poisoning thats leading to their inactivity. As RedeyesUK said you need a test kit & need to start performing daily water changes.

Hope this helps a bit & hopefully it works out for you

Hi there

All advice welcome.

I have a Biube not a Biorb; this is probably even worse, as it's narrower!

Buying another tank is not an option. I knew that RNTs should be in larger groups so had planned on getting more.

I will order up a test kit, and will post the results in this thread when I have some numbers.

Cheers,
Keith.

when the Biube arrived, and said I could get things operational in a day, I decided to follow the Biube instructions.....which may well have been a bad move.

Don't worry, you won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last!

For the water test kits, a lot of people on here recommend the API master test kit, personally I prefer the Hagen mini master kit. Both can be found quite easily for about £20 or so. Just steer clear of any paper test strips, they're inaccurate at best.

Until you've got that and have some idea of what your water stats are, I'd do 50% water changes just to be on the safe side.

Hi there

How many tests does the Hagen one do? The API appears to last for 800!

How often do you think I need to do a 50% change?

Cheers,
Keith.

I've never really counted TBH! All I can say is for regular use (testing maybe once a week), my current kit is still going after six months.

Until you know where your water stats are, I'd advise daily changes.

Test regularlly(everyday) untill your tank has matured then test it once a week.

Hi there

All advice welcome.

I have a Biube not a Biorb; this is probably even worse, as it's narrower!

Buying another tank is not an option. I knew that RNTs should be in larger groups so had planned on getting more.

I will order up a test kit, and will post the results in this thread when I have some numbers.

Cheers,
Keith.

Hhaha i just though you couldnt spell :lol: just joking.

just looked it up there & yea its unbelievably narrow. to be honest i dont think rummys are at all suited to that tank but maybe some else can advise. maybe a smaller less active fish like the neon tetra or a single betta would be more suitable once ur tank is fully cycled. most good lfs will take back problem fish (thats what i did with 4 cherry barbs when i first started as i was having huge problems with the male constantly harrasing the females as my 60 liter was just too small).

On water changes you should be aiming to do daily changes depending on ur ammonia & nitrite.

once the tank is fully cycled it would still be a good idea to do weekly 30% water changes as 30 litres is very small & it will be harder to keep stable conditions

Most reactions

Back