Question About An Slr Camera

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Hi there, sorry this post may get closed as I dont have a photo here, but it is about photos so doesn't that count?

My dad bought himself some fancy digital slr job today, and he has offered me his old slr camera.

It is a T70 Cannon, with four different lenses, a normal lense, a 108 something or other, a 500 something or other and a smaller lens, he has also given me a 2x magnifier lens which doubles there performance.

Does anyone know about these cameras? :thumbs:

t70.jpg

here is the badboy, this one isn't mine its off google, but its the same type of camera.

I haven't had this model before but if it's a canon it's a good un'

yip thats what my dad said, I have used these before but i am rusty with the apatures and what not, do you have any pointers?

You use the depth of field to control how much of the shot is in focus, big depth of field, lots of focus, ideal for landscape & vice versa for portraits.

Shutter speed is used to take pics of fast moving subjects or low light conditions.

Most modern slr's have either shutter priority or aperture priority so you pick one & the camera works out the rest for the correct exposure. It probably has an automatic mode too.

You use the depth of field to control how much of the shot is in focus, big depth of field, lots of focus, ideal for landscape & vice versa for portraits.

Shutter speed is used to take pics of fast moving subjects or low light conditions.

Most modern slr's have either shutter priority or aperture priority so you pick one & the camera works out the rest for the correct exposure. It probably has an automatic mode too.

Yeah it has an automatic mode too which I have used already,

But see for like choosing your aperture, is it just a matter of choosing one you think is right or do you need a light sensor? Thats what I always get stuck on. :thumbs:

It says on the top it has Program AE which means the camera calculates proper exposure eg. 1/60 sec F8 but if you know its a portrait and you want a nicer out of focus background you can use a dial/button to pull the aperture down to F4 or whatever and it will change the shutter speed to keep the exposure correct.

I use mine almost exclusively on Aperture priority or manual for landscape/wildlife, I use F8 to 11 for landscape stuff most of the time and F4 or 5.6 for wildlife (to get sharpness from nose to ears!) with a 300mm lens. If you have amateur quality lenses you can pretty much leave the camera on F8 in aperture priority mode and let the meter work out the shutter speed as F8 usually gives best performance for non-pro lenses.

Nothing beats Canon SLR's, but the T70 is a REALLY old model. Maybe tag it as an antique and get a newer one that will help you a lot more in getting the right shot.

cheers, I did a wee starter course in photography years ago at college, but now I appreciate it more I am trying to get back into it.

So if I leave it 8 at the mo and automatic I should get ok results?

it always boggled me about exposure times and what not :S . There is a photographer where I work so I think I will ask for a lesson in it.

You can get contact sheets which print out on a single sheet with small samples of what you took. Then you can select what you want to have printed. I used to get them done at a jewelry store years ago but I'm sure any photography place could do that for you. This saves you alot of money unless you can catch a good sale on prints. It's good you're exploring different mediums!

I would do a search on the internet. There are dozens of photography sites and most of the photo magazines have online counterparts. You can learn a lot there.

Debra

Most reactions

Back