Puffer Species

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have a 28 Litre (6 Gal?) tank and would like to keep Dwarf Puffers as a species set up. LFS said I could have "a few". Are they wrong? This talk of Territory is rather scary... How big is a Dwarf Puffer's teritory on average?

I'm worrying about pH now. My tank seems to be hovering at a level just above 8.0. On pufferfish.co.uk It says that dwarf puffers should have a pH of 7.0. Am I right to worry?

Nope. Like I covered in the post I wrote, they aren't so fussy about PH, as long as extremes are avoided and that acclimitisation is slow.

Nope. Like I covered in the post I wrote, they aren't so fussy about PH, as long as extremes are avoided and that acclimitisation is slow.

I read about poor water conditions or something along those lines further down the post but I wasn't sure if that meant the nitrite/nitrate side of things or hardness/pH sort of thing. Thanks so much for your help.

I'd like to get to know a bit more about freshwater puffers. I've had a good look on t'Net, but would like to know about any books there may be. I'm interested in habitat info and captive care tips, especially anything on Pygmy Puffers. I've heard of the Aqualog one mentioned a while back in this thread but I'd like to hear feedback on this or any others you know of. Any suggestions anyone?

I have the Aqualog book and it is very good, but it isn't perfect, and you will find some information in there that contradicts other sources. For example, in the Aqualog book species like the green spotted puffers are referred to as good community fish. This seems to be because the author is a collector with hundreds of tanks, and simply moves out "difficult" fish, leaving the peaceful ones behind. This obviously doesn't work if its just you and your community tank.

It also tends to have the accent on large aquaria without much thought for decoration or aesthetics. There's much talk of leaving algae and cyanobacteria in the brackish water tanks because it looks realisitic; something I doubt very few people will do! I haven't found the feeding advice to be completely helpful, either; the author recommends mussel meat as the staple for all puffers, yet neither of my species (red-eye, red-tail puffers and a South American puffer) will touch the stuff. Finally, the bit on trimming teeth fails to mention sedating the fish first. It's a brave man who trims the beak of an adult puffer without sedating it, and I doubt it's even possible with the small ones!

On the other hand, it has an excellent section on identifying the species, and the comments on optimal water conditions, etc., are rock-solid. Recommended, but do look for second opinions on the husbandry topics.

Cheers,

Neale

There is no better source anywhere other than thepufferforum .com.

You should have a look there!

Thanks for the input everyone, but I must confess to being somewhat of a bibliophile, and sometimes it's nice to curl up with a book. I've tried the same thing with websites, and to be quite honest I found balancing a nineteen inch monitor, keyboard and processor tower on my knees rather uncomfortable. Besides, the mouse wouldn't work on the patterned sofa.

But seriously, I don't know what I'd have done without web access and all the help people have given me whilst setting up my aquarium, it's so nice to be able to have a consensus on a topic.

If anyone knows of any more puffer books, let me hear what you think.
All the best from Bufo Biblio Bill. :hey:

Hi I have three dwarf puffers and was wondering what's the best type of snail to give them? I know not to do trumpet snails as their shells are too hard but what are other good types?

Most reactions

Back