Puffer Species

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

From what I have read the holes in the plants are suspected to be the result of the puffers biting at small spots that they mistake for small critters that could be food. As for puffers with eels, I second Sir M's response....not a good plan, one or both fish will end up dead.
On a side note I have been having some limited (5 months and counting) success keeping Skunk Botias Botia morleti with my South American and Dwarf puffers, there seems to be a nice truce happening, the Botias don't bug the puffers and the puffers pretty much ignore the loaches. I have kept Otocinclus with them with no trouble, but the S/A's didn't seem to care for Rubberlipped or Bristlenose plecs and started to chew them up right from the start.

Could anyone give me some info on the congo puffer?, Just seen one in my LFS & really want it but need some info on it first, The shop said its pure EVIL!, Is this right?

:nod: yup, fishy death with teeth. but great for a species tank, if you don't mind a fish that's going to bury itself in the sand 90% of the time.

Here is a South American puffer looking normal.
abm.jpg

The ones you are thinking of are likely the Porcupine Puffer (Diodon nicthemerus) a marine puffer as stated earlier, but all puffers will show spines to some extent when puffed....Here is a South American puffer (Colomesus asellus) puffed up, you can see the tiny spines that are invisable until they are puffed up.
ph_10092.jpg

The ones you are thinking of are likely the Porcupine Puffer (Diodon nicthemerus) a marine puffer as stated earlier, but all puffers will show spines to some extent when puffed....Here is a South American puffer (Colomesus asellus) puffed up, you can see the tiny spines that are invisable until they are puffed up.

pfft. mere stubble. :p

Yeah I was thinking of the marine one you mentioned, I'd want a tropical one but I wouldn't be able to cope with the aggression or the teeth clipping for the lesser aggressive ones.

I want a Puffer but I heard they can be really agressive! Is this true?

Puffers each have their own personality....but as a rule it is recomended that you don't put them with any fish that you don't want to lose, because they all have the potential to become killers without any warning.

I'd want a tropical one but I wouldn't be able to cope with the aggression or the teeth clipping for the lesser aggressive ones.

I have found that the addition of a "feeding rock" helps to aviod doing dentistry. I use a flat piece of granite that I pour the puffers foods onto, as they pick the food off the rock their teeth get wear & tear. I have not had to trim teeth now for over 18 months with no issues.

Most reactions

Back