Progress Of My Common Pleco Growing

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I don't think it was possible to keep the common pleco in a 10g even when he was a baby.  His bioload(or rather poop amount :) ) is way too much even when small.  In this tank I have massive filtration by anyone's standards (20x in filtration at the moment) and do large weekly water changes too.  The good part is I don't suffer from aesthetic issues like pleco poop with such filtration.

However, by my calculations he is nearly 3 years old and not fully grown yet. So full growth doesn't seem to happen in a year or two as some suggest unless mine is growing too slowly.

I've kept plecos with small terrapins and crayfish before. So fun to watch when it starts cleaning their carapaces and they dont seem to be bothered all the cleaning. Reminds me of a shark-remora relationship hehe.

Good job with your pleco. Is it tame enough to eat food from your fingers?

Good job with your pleco. Is it tame enough to eat food from your fingers?  

I can catch him with my hands if I want no problem.  And he lets me "pet" him but his skin is total roughage
smile.png
I do need to put a treat in like veg or fruit for thim to come up first.  He used to be very skittish but he figured the human-food link
smile.png

Not a great picture but here he is anyway:

oj66.jpg

A slightly better one:

f7pa.jpg

Most reactions

Back