Progress Of My Common Pleco Growing

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Looking more into the pleco websites, I actually either have Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus or Pterygoplichthys anisitsi and I can't decide between both. The pattern on the belly does look like the disjunctivus but just came across a website with pictures of the anisitsi type and mine looks 1:1 to it, including belly pattern, colouration and especially the dorsal fin and tail types. I am getting confused now. Here is a website

Pterygoplichthys anisitsi
http://www.scotcat.com/loricariidae/pterygoplichthys_anisitsi4.htm

Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus
http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2326

Well, it gets even more interesting. Apparently the Pterygoplichthys anisitsi is detritivorous-iliophagus, which means in nature they feed mainly on decomposing organic matter(dead plants, dead fish, etc..) and also mud :crazy:

lol so more bad news could we have some more picies please :p

Just defrosting some zucchini to get him out of wherever he is. Nowhere to be seen at the moment.

He's got no interest. He actually doesn't like zucchini but I keep trying in case the ottos go for it instead. Let me get a cucumber :lol: He's been resting on the driftwood.

Here it goes. Not great but the best I could. I'll snap more later if he decides to look more interesting.

Trying to blend with the tree
dscf1477y.jpg

Cucumber feast
dscf1484j.jpg

And a few more. He's still munching the cucumber. I've got no idea why no interest in zucchini.

dscf1494v.jpg

dscf1495r.jpg

dscf1496t.jpg

love it! how do you prepare your cucumber?

Raw, just wash it and cut it in two. He makes a boat out of it, eating it all the way down to the green part and his poop is white afterwards. The clowns and the corys feast on it too. The pleco also loves lettuce, steamed broccolli stalks and mango and nothing else from many I've tried.

Just to end what I've started, a couple of more pictures with the cucumber transformed into a boat, but trust me that's not even close to what I'll see in the morning:

dscf1500hs.jpg

I scared him with the flash and he is angry here. He always spreads his fins when he is in protective or food attack mode:

dscf1501l.jpg

do you have a pic from this mornings boat :)

Oh, I forgot and removed it first thing morning. Got upset by another baby cory mysteriously missing from a plastic breeder box that has tiny holes on the bottom. I'll kill those clowns :grr:

Most reactions

Back