Problem

Fishfan4lyfe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have 3 lionheads and 2 of them are trying to get up the otherone's backside :S This started wen it was just a couple of times but now it is becoming more often and the 1 fish looks distressed any help?

What size is your tank?
Roughly how big are the fish?
Is yor tank cycled?
What are your water stats; ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Are the fish showing anything other odd behaviours? Or any visible signs of illness?

Answers to those questions should help find out what the problem is :thums:

Have you checked the sex of your fish? That might not be a bum they are trying to get to :shifty:

What size is your tank?
Roughly how big are the fish?
Is yor tank cycled?
What are your water stats; ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
Are the fish showing anything other odd behaviours? Or any visible signs of illness?

Answers to those questions should help find out what the problem is :thums:

Tank is 32L
3'' Each roughly
Tank is cycled
Fish seem fine otherwise and have had them about 2 months

They are egg layers though...fertilisation is outside of the body.
The male should persue the female when he's ready...but you'd hope not to the point of illness.

And everything I've read pointed towards them needing to be around a year old before they can breed.

Personally I'd say the fish are too big for that tank already, nevermind in a the future... I read they grow up to 8 inches EASILY
Also how do you know it's cycled?
You didn't post tank stats...do you have a test kit?

That tank is way to small you need atleast a 30-40 gallon for those fish atm you are at 7 gallons. If you don't increase the tank size;

1) your fish will die prematurely
2) you will need to do a 40% water change for your fish every 2 days
3) your fish won't grow to there full size
4) they are more susceptible to disease making you spend more money just on medicines
5) it won't be getting enough oxygen with the surface area a 7 gallon provides
6) your fish should grow between 10-14 inches in that housing they will grow to only 3-4 inches and that means improper organ development.
7) not to mention its cruel

You may think we are being anal but we gain no profit from offering our advice and doing the research, your local fish store on the other hand may sell you items they know won't last so that you come back in to buy more stuff ultimately it makes better business sense for them to give you bad advice. The tank for this goldfish variety should be heated to 18-20C as they are not truly happy in temperatures below 15C, If you follow our advice then your goldies should last for 10+ years.

If you can't afford a new larger tank (freecycle btw is excellent for getting aquariums) then you should return your fish. What exactly did you do to cycle the tank?

And everything I've read pointed towards them needing to be around a year old before they can breed.

Its quite possible they are after all who knows how long they have been in the fish store.

Its quite possible they are after all who knows how long they have been in the fish store.

Fair point!
I'm thinking that by the sounds of the set-up the fish aren't in breeding mode.
Probably more likely they're just very very very stressed.

Not enough space and bad water quality = Fish ramming into eachother /swimming over + into eachother...

Fair point!
I'm thinking that by the sounds of the set-up the fish aren't in breeding mode.
Probably more likely they're just very very very stressed.

Not enough space and bad water quality = Fish ramming into eachother /swimming over + into eachother...

Thanks for your advice every1

my aunty does all the testing as im more into tropical fish and she give them me as a present :S

I am using an elite stingray filter and seems to be working fine the water is clear and seems fine

On the box for the tank it said up 2 5 fish could be stored in the tank

I can't see how they don't have enough room as the tank doesnt seem that bad will take your word for it and try 2 post pics soon

Since I last posted the activity reported has quieted down :)

Thanks again

5 fish :rolleyes: theres good advertising for you it will be fine for a small group of livebearers like guppies and completely unsuitable for something like 5 kois. Its not the visible dirt that you need to worry about with water quality its the chemicals dissolved in the water. Fish produce ammonia which is highly toxic, bacteria breaks this down into nitrites which are also highly toxic which then gets broken down into nitrates which are toxic but not very dangerous, with an aquarium you then remove the nitrates through water changes. Goldfish are very messy fish and grow to a very large size. No offence to your aunty but if your knowledgeable about tropical you still only have the basic principles that apply to coldwater and no real indepth knowledge, not to mention lots of people keep fish and have no idea what species they have let alone whether the environment is right for them. You need to do a full range liquid test of ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, ph and water hardness + as a permanent addition have a thermometer on the tank so that you can ensure it is kept at the appropriate temperature.

Goldfish bowls are extremely inhumane its like keeping a rotweiler in a cage designed for a terrier it will be fine when a puppy but in no time at all it will outgrow the cage. Goldfish grow to 10+ inches if kept properly, they do survive in goldfish bowls but this shortens there lifespans drammaticly and causes their organs to not fully develop due to the stunting of their growth making them prone to heart attacks, liver problems ect...

Most reactions

Back