Power Cuts

it would keep the fish alive yeah, but it wouldn't solve the problem of the beneficial bacteria in your filters dying off.

once the power was restored you would basically be left with a "new tank" full of fish and a full cycle would have to ensue, which your fish would probably not survive .

But keeping the filter media wet would keep the bacteria alive. I dont really have power outages around where I live so no worries, the only time I even had a power outage the last 5 years was the massive blackout that consumed the northeast a couple years ago.

Thanks for all the replies - I hope its not a situation that I find myself in but knowledge BEFORE the event is always a good thing.

Cant afford to go the generator route but think I would have enough info now to give the fish a good chance of survival in the unlikely event of a longer than usual powercut.

Thanks.

we had a powercut recently in the night.

thankfully i woke up (tank is in my bedroom and i noticed the silence!)

we were having a storm and an outside socket had blown all the switches in our fuse box out, and only one circuit was working two floors down.

i had to run outside in the middle of the night in pyjamas in rain and wind to get an extension cable which thankfully reached up the two floors to my tank, so that my fish could survive until morning when the electrician arrived!

all good now though :)

Most reactions

Back