My fish survived a power outage

That's much longer than my dad and me combined. Dad only kept goldfish during his time in Mandurah in the mid-80s. They never moved into Perth and died after a year. There was no internet back then. I have kept my tetras for nearly a year now.
Well, I'm also a lot older than you are. My parents got me hooked on fishkeeping. They started off back in the 1960's. If you've clicked the link to my website I've send you for a while ago, you could know that I'm keeping myself busy with this hobby for so long. Started off as a young boy. And I never got bored of it.

Well, I'm also a lot older than you are. My parents got me hooked on fishkeeping. They started off back in the 1960's. If you've clicked the link to my website I've send you for a while ago, you could know that I'm keeping myself busy with this hobby for so long. Started off as a young boy. And I never got bored of it.
Wow. I'm actually planning to have a much bigger tank and build an Orinoco biotope for my existing cardinal tetras in the future. Have you built biotopes before?

Wow. I'm actually planning to have a much bigger tank and build an Orinoco biotope for my existing cardinal tetras in the future. Have you built biotopes before?
I have build biotope tanks in the past. And those were inspired by my trips to South- and Central America. I'm a huge fan of wild livebearer species. Most scaped tanks at households don't reflect their biotopes by any means... Most livebearers live in less attractive biotopes, to be honest.

I have build biotope tanks in the past. And those were inspired by my trips to South- and Central America. I'm a huge fan of wild livebearer species. Most scaped tanks at households don't reflect their biotopes by any means... Most livebearers live in less attractive biotopes, to be honest.
Hmm... Have you tried an Orinoco biotope? Its educational value can help at times. Never been to the Orinoco itself or South America, but try and remember the underwater world that surrounds it. Once you are finished, you could display it at a fish show.

Ooh, I haven't been there. I'm not from the Netherlands however. How many accurate biotope tanks were there at the expo?
Haven't counted the number, tbh. But lots of them...
Overhere a video to give you an impression of this expo.
The video is too short to show the entire expo.

Maybe Apistogramma, dwarf South American cichlids I guess. Was it a biotope for Apistogramma cichlids or not?
No, apistogrammas. Those are way too small. It was a mangrove biotope. But they called it a jungle biotope because of all the live plants that were besides and on top of the tank. But with this mangrove tank, the light was beautifully playing because of the roots and branches in the water.

My 60 gallon made it through 86 hours with no power during an ice storm. We wrapped it with old quilts to try to slow down the temperature decline. We spent hours trying to find some C batteries in the dark but finally got a battery-operated aerator going. Then we just didn't look in at all, or try to feed the fish, until the power came back on. The temperature in the house got down to about 50 (F), and the tank got down to about 63. Lost about 5 cherry barbs; the corydoras, tetras, and kribensis all survived!

Having a battery-powered aerator for emergency backup may have saved the day(s), so I highly recommend that everybody have at least one on hand.

I lost power a few years ago, thankfully for not that long, but purchased 2 battery powered air pumps (run on 2 D cell each) had to use them 3 times after I purchased them. Then I started worrying about the tank temp dropping. I live in New England so we have awful winters and Hot Summers.

Most reactions

Back