Post Oscar Pic's Here!

Nice, I love his colors. :) Where do you keep that large tank, and what is the brand?

I'm afraid to put my heavy Oceanic 105 gallon in my room. :(

Even though this guy is now dead, thought I'd add to the photo album lol

When he was around 3''

rttttttrrrr.jpg

Died at around 7'' of some weird disease that came out of nowhere and killed it within 2 days.

hey guppies every where, u shouldnt relly have that oscar growing in such a big tank, he can grow too fast and not grow strong, he will grow thin lol. grow him out in a 40 til hes 7 inches then put him in there :D

LOL Bucky :lol:

oh wow thats so beautiful!!, so synirr ur Os look so damn healty, also what kind of sand is that?
It's pool filter sand, doesn't cloud the water much at all when you first add it, even without rinsing :)

hey guppies every where, u shouldnt relly have that oscar growing in such a big tank, he can grow too fast and not grow strong, he will grow thin lol. grow him out in a 40 til hes 7 inches then put him in there :D

Uhh, I don't think so, they grow fine in the huge open space in the wild. You don't want to stunt his growth. The bigger the space the better! :)

Uhh, I don't think so, they grow fine in the huge open space in the wild. You don't want to stunt his growth. The bigger the space the better! :)

uhh. ur going to make it grow too fast and its going to be all thin. its going to be a weak ass oscar.. and u wont stun its growth if u put him in a 40 for like 2 months. he will bulk up with mucles

well what happens to oscars in the wild then?

what your saying doesnt make sense.

its not the space hes in that makes him grow its the diet mainly which is then helped by the tank size cos it has space.

my oscars been in a 180G tank since he was about 4" and hes now a fat 8" and happy as larry.

The batteries in my camera pooped out so I couldn't take any new pictures. Here are a couple of Odin and his roomies. I'll try to get some close ups once I get new batteries :p

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 50
That is definitely an oscar, and not a hybrid in any way. I would quite literally bet my life on it. Oscars can only hybridize with other astronotus species, most of which pretty much look exactly like oscars, just with variations in colour pattern, and are so rare in the hobby you'd be extremely lucky to ever see one; even if you did, it certainly wouldn't be that brightly coloured. Anything that looks that much like an oscar but isn't is not something you are going to be able to pick up at the store. It does, however, look like a rarer colour variation... red satin, or something like that? I forget what they are called.
As for being a midas/RD, I don't think it looks much like this, apart from being remotely the same colour:
art193_03.jpg

This is what I meant by beaky face. You happened to pick a pic with a big neuchal hump, I was thinking younger than that ;)
http://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/te...itrinellus5.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/freshaquarium/1/8/L/8/fw0008.jpg

http://sjl-static12.sjl.youtube.com/vi/DBLZYJCPbvY/3.jpg

http://www.midas-cichlid.com/midas_gallery...lid_bfdvvwr.jpg

So yes he does look quite like one. And although you say they cant hybridise, you must admit it looks more like that than an oscar? :rolleyes: The only give away to it actually being an oscar being the back end (fin shape).

I've never seen an oscar with such a long pointy face, considering oscars look like they've hit a wall at high speed :lol: I wonder whether he's deformed/badly bred?

heres my oscars.....big one is bout 4inches little one bout 1inche.....big ones name is oscar<ha>little one is gandulf,,,,,named buy my nethew :good:

second pic...oscar caught himself on rock gandulf to the rescue :wub:

3rd oscar sulking after water change :angry:

hey sexy..... :hey: oh oh its my refection :look:

gandulf just when i got him,,,,, :wub:

Attachments

• tmpphpuyPa0Z.jpg
    tmpphpuyPa0Z.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 37
  • tmpphpCMt2mi.jpg
    tmpphpCMt2mi.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 40
  • tmpphps4voM9.jpg
    tmpphps4voM9.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 69
  • tmpphpz7I0Asqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg
    tmpphpz7I0Asqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 38
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 36
mine was actually built by my girlfriends dad, who made it into an african cichlid tank, but that was like 20 years ago and all his fish past away in the last year *he had them for a lonnnggg time*

he decided he was going to get a 150 tank and make it into saltwater so i took his 120 and made it my oscars new home :)

and i was going to say, why would i want to keep him in a 40 or anything else smaller?

he is about 4 inches now *1-2 in the pic* and hes a fatass :D that runs the tank

edit: i keep it in my basement, and he has great design in him but not really any colour, its more of a grey/brown colour :)

uhh. ur going to make it grow too fast and its going to be all thin. its going to be a weak ass oscar.. and u wont stun its growth if u put him in a 40 for like 2 months. he will bulk up with mucles
...What?

And although you say they cant hybridise, you must admit it looks more like that than an oscar? :rolleyes:
Uh... no. My oscar lives with a midas hybrid whose face shape is pretty much 100% female midas, no nuchal hump or anything, and they are quite easy to tell apart when you see both types daily, the mouth structure is totally different. That oscar looks like nothing but an oscar to me :dunno:. Nor would I necessarily say that all oscars look like they've hit a wall at high speed; I find that younger oscars have more pointed faces and they round out more as they age, but it does have something to do with their breeding as well. You see a lot of variety among oscars. That oscar is a new, still relatively rare colour variety, so chances are there is some inbreeding there. I looked it up, and apparently they are calling that bloody red/super red :)

Check out this one, pic from oscarfish.com. Never seen an adult long-finned before!
cava-dec26-05.jpg

Most reactions

Back