Possibly Buying Lfs Display Tanks.

micko

drive it like you stole it.
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the thing. A lfs near me is closing down and whilst I was in there today she said that she would be closing in the next few weeks. My girlfriend was with me whilst we were in looking and she asked what she was doing with the tanks. She was just going to auction them off as she didn't know what to do with them so my girlfriend asked how much she wanted for them.

There are 9 tanks at a size of 3ft each. They are on a freestanding metal rack/shelving.

All come with seperate filters and heaters so there are no holes drilled in them and they all have separate hoods and t5 lighting.

The woman wants £100 for the lot and my girlfriend put a £20 deposit down on them as I refused to buy them. I really do feel like its role reversal at the minute because I'm usually the one wanting more tanks/fish and she was never bothered about fish. She has been very interested in plattys since she seen them breed in a old tank recently. I think she's planning on putting this fish tank set up in the garage or shed, I'm really unsure. All I know is I'm not into the livebearers she has come to love.

My real problem is that I'll be the one to look after them, feed them, clean them, water testing, seperating them if any problems occour. Should I stop being selfish and go and get the tanks tomorrow whilst she's away or do I not get them at all. I know most will probably say yes but I think we have enough tanks now and as I said, I'll be the one to look after everything and I'm really struggling to maintain the ones we have at present due to a back injury I sustained from a car crash two years ago.

Help.

I think that's an incredible score to get the tanks at that price. I'd go ahead and buy them, and then sell off the ones you don't need. You can make back your money and then some!

And if your girlfriend wants to raise some livebearers, why wouldn't SHE take care of them??

Get them put them in the garage, then keep one tank in the house for her if you can. At least then it gives you time to plan and if you don't want them in the end it really won't be hard to auction them off as breeder tanks on eBay or on here.

It's a fantastic deal, just don't give her the option to utilise all those tanks! lol, I know the feeling, my girlfriend loves some types of fish + plants but can never be bothered doing the graft to set it up or maintain it.

Ok, the woman selling the tanks has called me back and has said she would like them both sold together meaning there will be 18 x 3ft tanks. I was coming round to the 1 set of tanks and now she throws this at me. She said she will take £175 for both sets but I'm sure I can knock her down a wee bit. I've spoken to my girlfriend and she said she is willing to put the work in (I wonder for how long) she is talking about species tanks of all guppies, all mollies and all platties. She has suggested a shrimp and snail tank too (she's using all the tricks she can as she knows I've talked about having a shrimp and snail tank for a long time, dirty tactics) and mentioned a turtle tank for the children. We have the room and at present its not being used but I'm really thinking that 18 tanks are too much, 1 set of 9 is probably more than enough, its not like we have a breeding shop or anything so I think I might get them and sell one set of 9.

Do you think its a good idea? Do you think she'll keep up the work (she has said she would, but then again the kids said they would walk the dogs and they don't. Would it be easy enough to sell the second set? What would I get for the second set?

I would also like to know what someone faced with the same choice would be willing to pay (maximum) or expect to pay for the full amount.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to do it. If things don't work out then I'm going to sell them onto someone else. I cannot possibly tend to all them tanks aswell as the rest on my own due to a back injury and my girlfriend has been fully made aware of my feelings. Yes I will help but I won't do it all.

If its a set of John Allen tanks then you got a nice deal, most shops are fitted out by these guys if they know what they are doing. If not then no huge loss, you would still be able to eBay the tanks off and make a profit. Shove them in a spare room/garage and go for it.

here is a link to some i was watching on eBay a while ago:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150571303126

might help you price it up.

They are clearseal thanks. I went back and put a deposit on them. They come with some fish, about 60 neons, three clown loache, two golden severums, 4 or 5 corys, harlequins, about 30 other tetra along with numerous mollies, platties and guppies. The only ones my girlfriend wants is the livebearers and neons. She phoned her friend to see if they wanted the clown loache but when I said they needed to be in groups of 6+ she has asked her uncle if he wants them as he already has 5. (He has a 800ltr)

So all in all I don't think its too bad, it should be ready a week in saturday for me to collect. I could do without all the stress of it all but she has put up with my fish addiction and really is a star.

one word : JEALOUS!

I have been given the go ahead for a similar set up once we move into our new house, but our current 1 bedroom apartment has really limited the number of tanks I am allowed - - (still now too bad! a 72 gallon bow, a 29 gallon bow, and a handful of 10 gallons presently!)

wow were abouts are you i will split 9 each if your close. lol

That's good   Jenste. Let us know how it goes

I'm in northern ireland sted. I would love to split them. I have a feeling your going to say there's a distance between us with a large pond

In the process of it trikidy. Will update with pictures of course. I don't know why I didn't take any today.

lol unfortunlitly yes am near liverpool atm :(

:hyper: How i envy you!!!!! :) This is an awesome chance for you too do so many things :) if 18 is too much sell of a group of them, Keep us posted with pics :)

lol unfortunlitly yes am near liverpool atm :(

Better lock your wheels up, they're not even nice enough to put my car on bricks round there.

I live in the city centre :p

We can get the ferry over to him and steal some tanks!

Most reactions

Back