Possible Fish Community?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishfoo

Reaction score
Hello all,

It is a while until I will be getting any fish but I have been thinking a great deal about the sort of community I would like. Ultimately I'd love to have a couple of Discus. Will the following be compatible and an acceptable amount for a 120 litre?

1 x Blue Diamond Discus
1 x Leopard Discus
4 x Harlequin Rasbora
2 x Congo Tetra
2 x Clown Loaches
2 x Bolivian Rams
1 x Bristlenose Pleco

Any alternative suggestions greatly appreciated also.

As beautiful as Discus are, they will need a larger tank than a 120 i'm afriad. You will need something around the 300 litre mark for 3-4 IMO. Same story with Clown Loaches, can get to a decent size, will also need a bigger tank plus they prefer to be in shoals 5-6+

Not sure on the Congo Tetra's, opinions will differ, but I reckon you could get away with a shoal of 5 in there.

Other than that, fine. Might just want to up the shoal of Harlequins as they too are a shoaling fish which will be more appealing as the numbers go up.

James.

Thanks James,
That's dissapointing :sad: as would've loved a couple of Discus. Nevermind, back to the drawing board then. Should Angel fish be avoided also?

Thanks James,
That's dissapointing :sad: as would've loved a couple of Discus. Nevermind, back to the drawing board then. Should Angel fish be avoided also?

Yes, will have a go at smaller fish and can become very aggresive. In order to tame this aggresion you'd need a bigger tank.

Some Bolivian Rams like you listed would make a nice feature fish! Or have you not thought about some sort of Apisto? I have my Apistogramma Cacatuoides in my signature below :good:

Or possibly... I think you could get away with a pair of Keyhole Cichlids in there, they are a beautiful but peaceful Cichlid that compliment any tank, I also have a pair of these.

How about something like this...

10 Harlequin Rasbora's
Pair of Bristlenose Pleco's
6 Corydoras Catfish
Pair of Cichlids (apisto, bolivian rams, keyholes etc...)

James. :good:

Most reactions

Back