Poll On Piranhas

Do you think putting another decent sized fish(A cichilid, shark, oscar, etc) into a tank with red-b

• Yes (Feel free to post reasons for the way you feel)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (Feel free to post reasons for the way you feel)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
healthy fishes don't get eaten when there are weak and dying fishes in the tank. piranhas wouldn't fancy a need to fight (like crazy) for their food so i think you're better off with just aggressive fishes like green terrors etc.

i've read your other threads and your emphasis on wanting a 'killer' fish, from how i see it is just something to do with being 15 and watching too many movies where piranhas are over portrayed on their hunting instincts.

Yea I just wanna kind of brightin up my tank alittle somehow, and since big fish don't work can I put some little fish in there and they may live for a while? Don't just criticize me like usual I just wanna know.

And maybe that is so but I just want a fish that swarms its prey I think its so cool, that's why I got reds

It seems you got reds for the wrong reasons I'm afraid.

Fish that 'brighten up the tank' and 'swarm at food' (not it's prey in nature though) would be exodons.

It seems you got reds for the wrong reasons I'm afraid.

Fish that 'brighten up the tank' and 'swarm at food' (not it's prey in nature though) would be exodons.

when i say "brightin" up the tank i mean like hhave other fish in it other than the reds, ya know like for some variety....but i realize that thats not really possible

i remember reading in a book, (Piranha fact and fiction i think)
that small tetras such as neons or dawn tetras are ideal tank mates for some piranha.
they are too small for the piranha to bother with (energy spent chasing V's energy gain from eating)

I have never kept them personally so have no experience if this is true or not.

that small tetras such as neons or dawn tetras are ideal tank mates for some piranha.
they are too small for the piranha to bother with (energy spent chasing V's energy gain from eating)

I would say untrue unless with a large rhom etc. Young piranha's would easily catch them.

I would say untrue unless with a large rhom etc. Young piranha's would easily catch them.

yea i am going to agree with jonny, i tested out if a very small tetra would work, and i found that most are usually eaten but very very small (almost not even worth having) tetras can live in the tank, but they have no color and arent very interesting, and the only reason they live i think is because the never go below about and inch from the top of the tank and my reds dont usually go up that high

also i got a couple questions:

whats the smallest tank size that can house each of these (indivdually, not all of them in one tank);
-an arowana
-an oscar
-a snakhead
thanks

yea i am going to agree with jonny, i tested out if a very small tetra would work, and i found that most are usually eaten but very very small (almost not even worth having) tetras can live in the tank, but they have no color and arent very interesting, and the only reason they live i think is because the never go below about and inch from the top of the tank and my reds dont usually go up that high

also i got a couple questions:

whats the smallest tank size that can house each of these (indivdually, not all of them in one tank);
-an arowana
-an oscar
-a snakhead
thanks

75G for oscar.
Depends on species of snakehead.
200G for an adult arowana, young ones can be kept in smaller tank temporarily.

Depends on which arowana and which snakehead... Do at least some research before you ask.

It seems to me that starting this thread is doing research.

What was the point in asking it if your not even planning to get one?

Educational purposes, I would think. He's entitled to ask, but if you don't want to help him explore the issue, there was no point in your responding, was there? :unsure:

ryan, the probability of you getting a snakehead in the US is essentially zero. They're illegal.

Also, the smallest arowana grows to be about 2 feet long. so, the absolute minimum tank size is 6'x2'x2'

Depends on which arowana and which snakehead... Do at least some research before you ask.

i just wanted a general estimate, im not planning on getting one i just wanted an idea of the size

What was the point in asking it if your not even planning to get one? :blink:

i just wanna know about them

Educational purposes, I would think. He's entitled to ask, but if you don't want to help him explore the issue, there was no point in your responding, was there? :unsure:

thanks i agree

ryan, the probability of you getting a snakehead in the US is essentially zero. They're illegal.

Also, the smallest arowana grows to be about 2 feet long. so, the absolute minimum tank size is 6'x2'x2'

i just wanna know about them i dont wanna get one

Alright no need to get funny about it :rolleyes: , just seems abit pointless to me asking if hes not planning to get any. Seems easier to google that kind of thing or use the search function if your just looking for a general idea, I think most people were expecting him to expand a little on a specific type etc.

ok...i have an old 30 gal. tank and i want to find a cool looking fish that is farly interesting, maybe an agressive fish. What kind of fish would advice for this tank?

Most reactions

Back