Poll On Piranhas

Do you think putting another decent sized fish(A cichilid, shark, oscar, etc) into a tank with red-b

• Yes (Feel free to post reasons for the way you feel)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (Feel free to post reasons for the way you feel)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i was thinkin that they didnt have 1st hand xperience with fish with piranhas..

I have never kept Piranhas personally but work in a LFS that sells them, (have worked here for nearly 7 years)

Over the years I can recall a common pleco, 2 hypancistrus white tiger plecs, and a shovelnose that were literally ripped to pieces by the Piranhas when they were stupidly housed together in store. I definitely have seen first hand what these fish can do

and tbh there are many more people on here that have an extensive knowledge of Piranhas, but what is the point of them offering their advise when your obviously going to ignore it and furthermore come out with comments like this

no i know that they r prolly gonna get killed but i just wanted to see if there was any fish that could stay with them...and i was just planning on getting another fish if i could fins it for a very cheap price

If you really have to have tankmates then go for exodons, these have the best chance of survival

ok well i think your misunderstanding what i am saying.....i have changed my mind im taking your advice, i was questioning all your advice bc i wasnt sure what was correct, i wanna be sure to make a good decision. and that comment i made was bc i dont know every fish known to man so i was wondering if anybody out there knew of one that had a chance. and i wasnt saying that everyone that took that poll hasnt had first hand eperience i meant that that was what i thought until i realized that they could have previously had piranhas

ok?

It does make sense but isn't what the question says. Of course, I guess you can assume that since 16 people answered no to 1 & 2, then they indeed don't have first hand experience with mixing piranhas and other fish but just know the nature of piranhas well enough to know what the outcome would be. Not certain where the other 2 votes came from since on one answered yes to 1 or 2.

yea i know, i mest up in the wording of the questions. and idk where the other answers came from either.......they could've meant that they USED TO have piranhas

If you really have to have tankmates then go for exodons, these have the best chance of survival
[/quote]

where could i get exodons? preferably not online unless thats the only choice

I have never kept Piranhas personally but work in a LFS that sells them, (have worked here for nearly 7 years)

Over the years I can recall a common pleco, 2 hypancistrus white tiger plecs, and a shovelnose that were literally ripped to pieces by the Piranhas when they were stupidly housed together in store. I definitely have seen first hand what these fish can do

and tbh there are many more people on here that have an extensive knowledge of Piranhas, but what is the point of them offering their advise when your obviously going to ignore it and furthermore come out with comments like this

no i know that they r prolly gonna get killed but i just wanted to see if there was any fish that could stay with them...and i was just planning on getting another fish if i could fins it for a very cheap price

ok well i think your misunderstanding what i am saying.....i have changed my mind im taking your advice, i was questioning all your advice bc i wasnt sure what was correct, i wanna be sure to make a good decision. and that comment i made was bc i dont know every fish known to man so i was wondering if anybody out there knew of one that had a chance. and i wasnt saying that everyone that took that poll hasnt had first hand eperience i meant that that was what i thought until i realized that they could have previously had piranhas

ok?

It does make sense but isn't what the question says. Of course, I guess you can assume that since 16 people answered no to 1 & 2, then they indeed don't have first hand experience with mixing piranhas and other fish but just know the nature of piranhas well enough to know what the outcome would be. Not certain where the other 2 votes came from since on one answered yes to 1 or 2.

yea i know, i mest up in the wording of the questions. and idk where the other answers came from either.......they could've meant that they USED TO have piranhas

I don't want to go too deep as this thread is only going one way. But unfortunately in this case all you need to know is the Pirhanna. What other fish can do or survive with is irrelavent in this case.

where could i get exodons? preferably not online unless thats the only choice

You will be hard pushed to find exodons about, plus their scale eaters so I personally wouldnt advise it.

Just stick to the piranhas.

whats a scale eater?

ok?

I don't want to go too deep as this thread is only going one way. But unfortunately in this case all you need to know is the Pirhanna. What other fish can do or survive with is irrelavent in this case.

what do you mean?

whats a scale eater?

A fish that eats scales off fish.

I agree. Stick with just piranha's! Its getting old now. Either do the right thing and keep piranhas on their own or ignore everyones advice and do what you wish but were just going round in circles here.

whats a scale eater?

I agree. Stick with just piranha's! Its getting old now. Either do the right thing and keep piranhas on their own or ignore everyones advice and do what you wish but were just going round in circles here.

it just eats scales?!?! thats gay!!!

so whats a hardcore piranha

Some piranhas are scale eaters, that is to say they pick scales off other fish. Some are vegatrian and some are full on carnivores.
A "Hardcore Piranha" would be a red belly.

I had a group of young black fin pacu (11 of them) and there were a couple of red bellies living with them. They were fine together for about 6 months and didn’t cause each other any problems. However, they did eat some rainbowfish that were in the tank with them. These piranhas and pacu were young, not adults. When they mature piranha become even more agro and need huge tanks to be kept happy. If they feel stressed out they often turn on each other and you end up with one adult fish left and all the others are dead or missing pieces. Having other fish in the tank will only distract the piranhas attentions from each other and turn them onto the other tank mate. Once that is dead the piranhas will go back to killing each other when they feel stressed.

If you want to keep adult red belly or other carnivorous piranhas, then you need a big tank (6ft x 2ft x 2ft minimum). Get a group of young fish and grow them up together. Watch them carefully and if there is any signs of aggression then remove the ones that are getting bullied.
If you have a single adult then it is best left on its own. You can try to introduce another adult but if it is the same sex it could be killed, and if the established one is feeling stressed by the intruder (new fish) it could be killed.

These fish are best kept in a single species tank. If you can't do that then leave them in the Amazon where they can do their own thing.

Some piranhas are scale eaters, that is to say they pick scales off other fish. Some are vegatrian and some are full on carnivores.
A "Hardcore Piranha" would be a red belly.

I had a group of young black fin pacu (11 of them) and there were a couple of red bellies living with them. They were fine together for about 6 months and didn’t cause each other any problems. However, they did eat some rainbowfish that were in the tank with them. These piranhas and pacu were young, not adults. When they mature piranha become even more agro and need huge tanks to be kept happy. If they feel stressed out they often turn on each other and you end up with one adult fish left and all the others are dead or missing pieces. Having other fish in the tank will only distract the piranhas attentions from each other and turn them onto the other tank mate. Once that is dead the piranhas will go back to killing each other when they feel stressed.

If you want to keep adult red belly or other carnivorous piranhas, then you need a big tank (6ft x 2ft x 2ft minimum). Get a group of young fish and grow them up together. Watch them carefully and if there is any signs of aggression then remove the ones that are getting bullied.
If you have a single adult then it is best left on its own. You can try to introduce another adult but if it is the same sex it could be killed, and if the established one is feeling stressed by the intruder (new fish) it could be killed.

These fish are best kept in a single species tank. If you can't do that then leave them in the Amazon where they can do their own thing.

hmm...interesting. what happened after the 6 months or are they still in the same tank?

and so r u suggesting i puta decent size fish in the tank to distract the reds from each other?

hmm...interesting. what happened after the 6 months or are they still in the same tank?

and so r u suggesting I put a decent size fish in the tank to distract the reds from each other?
the fish got stolen

I'm definitely not suggesting you put another fish in the tank to distract the piranha. Basically if you add another fish to the tank it will probably be killed by the current piranha inhabitants.
If you have 1 adult red belly piranha in the tank currently, then I would suggest leaving it on its own. Any new fish you add to its tank will probably get killed.

If you had baby piranha then you could add a few more baby piranha and let them grow up together. But you don't want to add other fish to a tank with an established adult already living in there.

If you had baby piranha then you could add a few more baby piranha and let them grow up together. But you don't want to add other fish to a tank with an established adult already living in there.

If their juvenile's they will naturally be skittish and shy until they reach sub adults. Tank bred reds will always be slightly shyer than wilds. If you have one juvenile red on its own theres no surprise its going to be shy and should add at least another 3 to help it feel secure.

Adding new piranhas requires them to be around the same size, for a water change to be done before they go in and decor to be moved around to disrupt territories.

whats a scale eater?

LULZ, AMGAWDZ THAT IZ GAYZ, LOTS OF BUTTSECHS WITH TEH FISHES!!

And Exodons are just as, if not more agressive then Pirahana's?

whats a scale eater?

LULZ, AMGAWDZ THAT IZ GAYZ, LOTS OF BUTTSECHS WITH TEH FISHES!!

And Exodons are just as, if not more agressive then Pirahana's?

WHAT!?

I know that you can put Buck toothed tetras with piranahs

no you cant i put one in my tank it got eaten in like 30 minutes

Doesn't that tell you something?

Most reactions

Back