Poll On Piranhas

Do you think putting another decent sized fish(A cichilid, shark, oscar, etc) into a tank with red-b

• Yes (Feel free to post reasons for the way you feel)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (Feel free to post reasons for the way you feel)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May I ask you something? Are you a troll or are you just retarded?

i dont know why you all think im so dumb, im just asking questions, and ur criticizing me? yea i know your thinking that im not taking any of your advice but i am, im not getting any other fish.

The reason people arent answering you properly any more is because you seem to be ignoring advice given to you, and people don't want you to get a wild piranha, as the idea of helping you to basically kill fish doesn't appeal to most.

why is getting a wild red belly a bad idea? ok now will u just answer this correctly and not sarcastically, i dont wanna get one anymore, i just wanna know why its a bad idea?

well i wanna kill fish other than my piranhas,reds
Try another forum, generally ones with a larger American userbase tend to be more into the idea of seeing other fish ripped up.

People on this forum (including myself) tend to care more about animals health and welfare. This forum is great for giving advice for people actually aiming to look after fish properly. You don't seem to be one of those people.

IMO, it's all nice and well just saying you like to see animals behaving naturally, and I'm not totally against feeder fish or anything, but fish being ripped up by 8 piranhas in a 75gal tank is not like nature at all and it's actually a rather disturbing thought to me that people would enjoy it.

Especially since the people that enjoy it are themselves responsible for the welfare of the carnivorous fish.

i dont know why you all think im so dumb, im just asking questions, and ur criticizing me? yea i know your thinking that im not taking any of your advice but i am, im not getting any other fish.
You don't listen, are repetitive and seem quite insensitive. And you don't even realise it. I'm sorry if it seems a bit harsh at times, but the fact that you don't take most answers seriously and don't mind much about the welfare of your animals on top of everything else gets on people nerves a bit.

why is getting a wild red belly a bad idea? ok now will u just answer this correctly and not sarcastically, i dont wanna get one anymore, i just wanna know why its a bad idea?
You have already been answered. Several times. In fact, the answer was even underlined for you in one post.

You already have too many fish in your tank.

Also, a single wild red belly added to an established should of captive breds could behave differently to your fish, and be too aggressive or get bullied.

well i wanna kill fish other than my piranhas,reds
Try another forum, generally ones with a larger American userbase tend to be more into the idea of seeing other fish ripped up.

People on this forum (including myself) tend to care more about animals health and welfare. This forum is great for giving advice for people actually aiming to look after fish properly. You don't seem to be one of those people.

IMO, it's all nice and well just saying you like to see animals behaving naturally, and I'm not totally against feeder fish or anything, but fish being ripped up by 8 piranhas in a 75gal tank is not like nature at all and it's actually a rather disturbing thought to me that people would enjoy it.

Especially since the people that enjoy it are themselves responsible for the welfare of the carnivorous fish.

You don't listen, are repetitive and seem quite insensitive. And you don't even realise it. I'm sorry if it seems a bit harsh at times, but the fact that you don't take most answers seriously and don't mind much about the welfare of your animals on top of everything else gets on people nerves a bit.

You have already been answered. Several times. In fact, the answer was even underlined for you in one post.

You already have too many fish in your tank.

Also, a single wild red belly added to an established should of captive breds could behave differently to your fish, and be too aggressive or get bullied.

ok well your in the PREDATORY forum so i kinda thought that most people in here enjoyed feeding there agressive fish. and why else would you buy a very aggressive fish other than to watch him eat stuff?

and thanks for telling me about the wild reds

Why else? Same reason as any other fish. To own attractive interesting fish. To look after them properly and to observe natural behaviours (which, in the case of most, is not seeing them tear up a large live fish). Maybe just for the challenge of keeping or breeding them. Maybe as part of a biotype.

You consistently confuse the word 'predatory' and 'aggressive'. They are two completly different words that mean completely different things. You need to stop treating them as interchangeable.

I know kinda what you mean by wanting a veracious fish that tears up food, but you can easily show that behaviour using frozen food.

I simply don't enjoy watching fish being put in unnatural situations and put through pain when a frozen fish could do and would actually be better for the piranhas.

As I said before, I don't totally disagree with feeder fish. Sometimes it's necessary (like if you have loads of excess guppy fry) and sometimes it can be done more to seem more natural (like having a large tank with an ambush predator and a population of guppies or the like). I feed my fish live insects like crickets and waxworms often too, but that's mainly due to the fact that the fish react well to them, and I enjoy seeing the fishes behaviour in stalking the insects - not simply because I think it's awesome that my fish can kill a bug.

But seeing a live goldfish dumped into a small tank crowded full of carnivorous fish which will kill it by ripping chunks of flesh off it just doesn't do it for me.
It's no different from chucking in some big prawns or a frozen fish other than you get to watch a fish suffer being eaten alive...and isn't in the best interest for the piranhas so it strikes me as dumb.

A lot of people do seem to like it, if you look at places like youtube and certain forums, but a lot of the time they aren't looking after the piranhas very well either. The impression I get from the people on youtube, those forums and even your posts is that the owners entertainment is put way above the welfare of the animal.

But, if I don't enjoy he same stuff as you, then it doesn't matter, you are still free to go ahead and put live fish in with your piranhas. But when people don't answer your posts about you wanting to put something in with your fish that will clearly just get eaten, it's probably because they don't like the thought of it and would rather not help you kill another fish.

So, to summarise - go ahead and enjoy your fish how you like, but if your going to ask questions your going to have to start listening to advice.
And if you want long term success with piranhas, your going to have to shift your priorities beyond your own entertainment.

Why else? Same reason as any other fish. To own attractive interesting fish. To look after them properly and to observe natural behaviours (which, in the case of most, is not seeing them tear up a large live fish). Maybe just for the challenge of keeping or breeding them. Maybe as part of a biotype.

You consistently confuse the word 'predatory' and 'aggressive'. They are two completly different words that mean completely different things. You need to stop treating them as interchangeable.

I know kinda what you mean by wanting a veracious fish that tears up food, but you can easily show that behaviour using frozen food.

I simply don't enjoy watching fish being put in unnatural situations and put through pain when a frozen fish could do and would actually be better for the piranhas.

As I said before, I don't totally disagree with feeder fish. Sometimes it's necessary (like if you have loads of excess guppy fry) and sometimes it can be done more to seem more natural (like having a large tank with an ambush predator and a population of guppies or the like). I feed my fish live insects like crickets and waxworms often too, but that's mainly due to the fact that the fish react well to them, and I enjoy seeing the fishes behaviour in stalking the insects - not simply because I think it's awesome that my fish can kill a bug.

But seeing a live goldfish dumped into a small tank crowded full of carnivorous fish which will kill it by ripping chunks of flesh off it just doesn't do it for me.
It's no different from chucking in some big prawns or a frozen fish other than you get to watch a fish suffer being eaten alive...and isn't in the best interest for the piranhas so it strikes me as dumb.

A lot of people do seem to like it, if you look at places like youtube and certain forums, but a lot of the time they aren't looking after the piranhas very well either. The impression I get from the people on youtube, those forums and even your posts is that the owners entertainment is put way above the welfare of the animal.

But, if I don't enjoy he same stuff as you, then it doesn't matter, you are still free to go ahead and put live fish in with your piranhas. But when people don't answer your posts about you wanting to put something in with your fish that will clearly just get eaten, it's probably because they don't like the thought of it and would rather not help you kill another fish.

So, to summarise - go ahead and enjoy your fish how you like, but if your going to ask questions your going to have to start listening to advice.
And if you want long term success with piranhas, your going to have to shift your priorities beyond your own entertainment.

you know that does make since, i dont have to make fish suffer, frozon fish willl be the same. and all i really like is how they swarm and then back off and swarm again, its odd. and i wanted to find something that i could put in my tank that could stay with my piranhas, but i took everyones advice that i cant do that.

and i do care about my piranhas...our power went out a while ago for 3 days and i was p till 3am to make sure they stayed alive...and i have had them long term, for about 6 months.

and where can i get frozen fish, i want them to be kinda big? like a grocery store? what kind of fish? wont they have preservatives?

ill take your advice and try to stick to frozen stuff, but sorry but sometimes im gonna give em another fish. i know you prolly dont really care but i wanted to let you know that im gonna take your advice

and where can i get frozen fish, i want them to be kinda big? like a grocery store? what kind of fish? wont they have preservatives?

ill take your advice and try to stick to frozen stuff, but sorry but sometimes im gonna give em another fish. i know you prolly dont really care but i wanted to let you know that im gonna take your advice

By the way if your going to feed live fish DO NOT use goldfish, as they contain growth hormones which stunt piranha growth.

You get frozen fish from grocery stores, fishmongers, anywhere you'd buy fish to eat.

I was shocked to see that the red bellied pirahnas at Brighton sealife centre, live with a big shoal of glowlight tetras! I was even more shocked to see they weren't getting eaten!

Now i've never kept pirahnas myself, and i don't know a lot about them. But it seemed strange.

Um... so can they live with tetras? Or is Brighton sealife centre giving them live food?

I appreciate that :).

I was shocked to see that the red bellied pirahnas at Brighton sealife centre, live with a big shoal of glowlight tetras! I was even more shocked to see they weren't getting eaten!

Now i've never kept pirahnas myself, and i don't know a lot about them. But it seemed strange.

Um... so can they live with tetras? Or is Brighton sealife centre giving them live food?

Red bellies don't generally eat in the wild by going round hunting small fish, in the aquarium environment, they will eat them if hungry, but most aquarium fish aren't hungry (or at least shouldn't be) because they get a decent meal every few days to at most a week.

I've seen adult red bellies kept with various small livebearers in different tanks no problem, from time to time, I'm sure one or two of them are eaten, but the piranhas don't really have much incentive to waste energy chasing small fish down when it's not really in their nature anyway.

Brighton sealife centre were probably just trying to liven up the pirhana display and make it look more natural (as in nature, piranhas are surrounded by loads of small fish most of the time).

But bear in mind, Brighton sealife centre aren't keeping 8 red bellies in a 75gal, in such a small tank the fish would be more likely to be eaten.

As jonny_dw says, frozen fish can be bought in most pet stores in the UK, so it's worth going to good stores looking for them. Strangely loads of US stores just sell live feeder goldfish, minnows or guppies instead. Which isnt very safe, and should only be a given every now and then after quarantining, if you must feed them at all. Read this: <a href="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=148384" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=148384</a>.

If you want bigger fish, the fishmongers or supermarkets would be more economical.

By the way if your going to feed live fish DO NOT use goldfish, as they contain growth hormones which stunt piranha growth.

You get frozen fish from grocery stores, fishmongers, anywhere you'd buy fish to eat.
are those glowligh tetras aggressive? why didnt the piranhas eat em?

Here we go again...:p. It actually seems like you are trolling. Dis you read my above post?

As has been said many, many times before, a fish being aggressive has nothing to do with weather or not piranhas will eat it.

The pirhanas never ate them because they are kept in a (presumably) large enclosure and well fed. Red bellies don't naturally eat small fish so would only eat a few of them from time to time if they are kept well fed. So the glowlights are pretty much temporary residents that should last quite a while in the tank before being eaten.

Doing this in a small tank with loads of piranhas would be stupid though.

Bigger fish would be far more likely to be eaten.

Piranhas are naturally scavengers. They feed off the dead and weak fish, not generally chasing down small quick fish.

Aggression of a fish has nothing to do with it, in fact an aggressive fish is more likely to be killed.

Brighton sea life centre are obviously taking a risk as even with well fed piranhas there is always a chance of the fish being killed. Ive known people keep plec's in a tank with piranhas for years and then one day they get killed for no reason.

These fish are unpredictable and arent ment to be kept in tanks with other fish, 75G is not the amazon.

Oh and when I went to Brighton sea life centre not that long ago there was no glowlights with the red bellies -_-

Oh and when I went to Brighton sea life centre not that long ago there was no glowlights with the red bellies -_-

oh dear...

I went a little while ago when the Amazonia exhibit was first started. That would have been a year ago I think?

I did think it was funny that the pirahnas didn't eat them, but three fingers has cleared that up for me - thanks!

Here we go again...:p. It actually seems like you are trolling. Dis you read my above post?

As has been said many, many times before, a fish being aggressive has nothing to do with weather or not piranhas will eat it.

The pirhanas never ate them because they are kept in a (presumably) large enclosure and well fed. Red bellies don't naturally eat small fish so would only eat a few of them from time to time if they are kept well fed. So the glowlights are pretty much temporary residents that should last quite a while in the tank before being eaten.

Doing this in a small tank with loads of piranhas would be stupid though.

Bigger fish would be far more likely to be eaten.
i dont want those tetras i was just wondering why they werent eaten? i figured its bc they were in a big tank.

i cant say one thing without being critiized

Piranhas are naturally scavengers. They feed off the dead and weak fish, not generally chasing down small quick fish.

Aggression of a fish has nothing to do with it, in fact an aggressive fish is more likely to be killed.

Brighton sea life centre are obviously taking a risk as even with well fed piranhas there is always a chance of the fish being killed. Ive known people keep plec's in a tank with piranhas for years and then one day they get killed for no reason.

These fish are unpredictable and arent ment to be kept in tanks with other fish, 75G is not the amazon.

yea, again, i agree...it would make sense that non aggressive would live longer bc they run, and once again yea thetank size prolly influenced the tetras life span.

healthy fishes don't get eaten when there are weak and dying fishes in the tank. piranhas wouldn't fancy a need to fight (like crazy) for their food so i think you're better off with just aggressive fishes like green terrors etc.

i've read your other threads and your emphasis on wanting a 'killer' fish, from how i see it is just something to do with being 15 and watching too many movies where piranhas are over portrayed on their hunting instincts.

Most reactions

Back