Ply/fiberglass Huge Build... Would I Be Crazy

danny_sims

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have decided that my 6ft x 2ft x 18 inch tank is no big enough for what i want. (more fish)
i got engaged yesterday and we had friends round my house and me and my plumber/joiner friend was thinking of what to do.
we both use to make fiberglass and carbon fibre products and we have a lot of materials left over still.

i want the tank as big as i can.
the tank will have to stay on the same wall that it currently is and that wall is 6ft 1inch so the total length will have to be maximum of 6ft.
the next measurment is the width i wanted 3 foot which will fit through the window thats 3ft x 3.5ft.. but then we had a great idea. make the tank 2.5 ft wide so then it can fit through the backdoor (this also helps if i ever sell it).
this means that the tank can be as tall as a doorframe and we can still get it in and out easily enough. door frame is 6ft 5inch.

so after a few drunken drawings we decided
the base/stand would be a total height of 1ft. (yes 1ft)
then the tank would be a total height of 5ft including surround for lid etc.
the glass window would ideally be 6ft x4ft i have looked at calculators and 1inch glass would be needed. is this still the case because it would not be a all glass tank and would only have the glass on the front.

the actual water total depth would be 4ft 4inch. (roughly)
we have spoke about how to reinforce the stand the hold nearly 2 tonne of weight etc. its just the glass window thats my biggest concern the woodwork and fiberglass work would be more than strong enough.
we also decided that because we have over 20meters of carbon fibre weave left over from a couple of years back that we could let the final coat of strength on the inside be carbon fibre which means the inside of the tank would look amazing when lit up. as it would have a carbon fibre finish inside.
the wall where the tank sits backs to under my stairs so the sump would be behind that wall with the pies straight out the back of the tank and through the wall with heaters in the sump etc so there would be minimal wires visable etc.

can people please give there thoughts on this.
am i crazy stupid or crackers. either way i would like to know if it would be possible.

possible yes I would recommend glass to be 40mm thick as wood flexes more than glass so the basic structure would flex more.

possible yes I would recommend glass to be 40mm thick as wood flexes more than glass so the basic structure would flex more.
thanks for the input everyones comments on the glass are welcome as i think that would be the weak point.

thanks for the input everyones comments on the glass are welcome as i think that would be the weak point.

you should look up vickiandkev on here, they built several huge wooden tanks and documented it pretty well i beleive.

had a look at vickiandkev they have sold the tank and all the pictures have gone from their build. thanks for the info it was a good read and a good bit of usefull information.
comments very welcome everyone.

Would look great but be aware that any depth over 2 foot is a real pain to reach the bottom to plant, clean etc. Mine is 2 foot 6 inch and I can't reach the bottom without sticking my head inside the tank

Good luck though and don't forget the photos.

Would look great but be aware that any depth over 2 foot is a real pain to reach the bottom to plant, clean etc. Mine is 2 foot 6 inch and I can't reach the bottom without sticking my head inside the tank

Good luck though and don't forget the photos.

there will be plenty of photos dont you worry.
i need 50ft length of 4x2
15ft length of 4x4
and 1 sheet of plywood just for the 1ft tall stand.
the depth is something i will have to struggle with as i cant go any larger on other dimensions

i dont see any problems with this build mate,
yes the glass will need to be 1 inch and as long as you overbuild on the tank support it wont budge at all.
As for the depth i just use a £2 grabber tool for aquascaping and the like,
my tank glass is 6ft by 3ft but is almost 3 1/2 ft in water depth, and can be a pain to do maintenance but with the right tools it is easy enough.
Any pics yet?

Most reactions

Back