Platy Loop Da Loop

elleypelley

Reaction score
Hello all
I have a small (45l) well established and settled community tank (1 dwarf gourami, 1 bristlenose, 2 neon tetras, 1 minnow) and today bought a pair of platys, one significantly larger than the other.
I did the normal acclimatisation in the bag before introducing them into the tank and allowed them to swim out at their own speed. The smaller of the two is quite happy but the larger one spent 5 minutes looping the loop before settling on its back under some foliage. It's moved several times in the last few hours but is generally very listless and just staring up from its back.

I'm guessing it's not well (!!) but it seemed fine in the shop (a reputable aquarium I regularly use and trust) - could this be some kind of travel trauma? Is there any hope of saving it? Would it be worth trying to return it?

Any thoughts and advice much appreciated,
Thanks

Hello all
I have a small (45l) well established and settled community tank (1 dwarf gourami, 1 bristlenose, 2 neon tetras, 1 minnow) and today bought a pair of platys, one significantly larger than the other.
I did the normal acclimatisation in the bag before introducing them into the tank and allowed them to swim out at their own speed. The smaller of the two is quite happy but the larger one spent 5 minutes looping the loop before settling on its back under some foliage. It's moved several times in the last few hours but is generally very listless and just staring up from its back.

I'm guessing it's not well (!!) but it seemed fine in the shop (a reputable aquarium I regularly use and trust) - could this be some kind of travel trauma? Is there any hope of saving it? Would it be worth trying to return it?

Any thoughts and advice much appreciated,
Thanks

It's on its back? as in upside down?

Totally upside down
and now dead

wondering what caused it now. The other one is fine. Happened within moments of being introduced to the tank.

Most reactions

Back