Planned Fry Journal Just For Fun :)

Congrats! Will you put the fry in the fry tank or leave them in  the main tank when they've hatched?

Blondielovesfish said:
Congrats! Will you put the fry in the fry tank or leave them in  the main tank when they've hatched?

Thanks! I have removed the eggs and put them in a breeder trap with an airstone to give maximum aeration,. They are all turning brown so that's a good thing! I have put tights round the trap as the eggs are moving and I don't want them to escape out the vents. I have also covered the top so the light doesn't encourage fungal growth. 

Blondielovesfish said:
It will be interesting to watch their progress.
smile.png

I know, I can't help peeking lol. Here is a pic of the eggs yesterday 
DSC02026_zps41ec65f3.jpg

DSC02027_zps07e43cef.jpg

photo57_zpsa020cd8f.jpg

and today - see the difference in colour? I hope that means they will hatch!
311f5702-6e8e-4cf9-b2c5-1abcbe5409c8_zpsb276d68a.jpg

I have been at my landladys house all day today messing about with her tanks. I was there to pick up her guppies she got with her 4th tank. They are beauties but the tails are quite torn up. There were about 7 males, 4 fry and a huge female. I took 3 males which I put in the main tank, the female who is ready to drop-I put her in the fry tank so she doesn't get harassed and I took a small fry and an older fry who are also in the fry tank.

This ones called firework, his tail resembles a crowntail betta.
DSC02035_zps160d065a.jpg

This is sunny, he has a spectacular tail
DSC02031_zps5a647894.jpg

The top ones tail is quite bad, he is stunning aswell, body is rainbow coloured, his names rainbow.
DSC02033_zps5d142cdc.jpg

No updates as such since the cory fry are taking up all my time! I thought the female was ready to drop when I picked her up, she hasn't had them yet. She is in the fry tank since I have 5 males in the main tank!

Today, when I was checking over everyone in the fry tank-I noticed a few newborn fry! Probably about a day old, out in the open so definitely guppy fry from the new female who I put straight in there. 

There's actually 6 newborn babies! That's my magic number! I put them into the fry trap with the cories as the bigger fry are chasing them and one got eaten. 
They are all yellow, the mum is plain with a cobra tail so lets see how these turn out!
The first batch of fry I have still haven't got their full colours yet. That's with water changes twice a day, fed 3-4 times a day and the temp up at 28 degrees. Don't know what more to do.

Looking at the guppy fry and how slow they are growing and how the first ones still haven't got more colour despite everything I am doing and the effort I am putting in, I have actually thought about giving guppies up. It's really deflating that even after 2 years of doing this, I still can't raise them right. I am probably just having an off day but I really do feel like giving them up. 
The LFS who I am getting my melini cories from have galaxy rasboras. I am tempted to sell my guppies and get a shoal of them. At £3.99 a fish it can get pricey esp when it will be spectacular with 10.
I will think long and hard about it but for now, i'm off to bed.

Ny82 said:
Looking at the guppy fry and how slow they are growing and how the first ones still haven't got more colour despite everything I am doing and the effort I am putting in, I have actually thought about giving guppies up. It's really deflating that even after 2 years of doing this, I still can't raise them right. I am probably just having an off day but I really do feel like giving them up. 
The LFS who I am getting my melini cories from have galaxy rasboras. I am tempted to sell my guppies and get a shoal of them. At £3.99 a fish it can get pricey esp when it will be spectacular with 10.
I will think long and hard about it but for now, i'm off to bed.
That's a crying shame Nylah.

Honestly I just feel like a change, I have always loved rasboras so will look into them. 

It would be sad to see you stop. You've come such a far way!
You could breed egg scatters? Or cichlids though. If you like breeding then there are many other options out there :)

Blondielovesfish said:
It would be sad to see you stop. You've come such a far way!
You could breed egg scatters? Or cichlids though. If you like breeding then there are many other options out there
smile.png

I only have a 95L tank, I am pretty limited to what cichlids I can get, if any. Would love a pair of rams. 

Yeah, true. Depending on the how big the floor of the tank is you could get convicts....they're one of the easiest cichlids to breed and they only need a 100L tank - I'm sure 5 litres wouldn't make too much difference if its big enough.

I am not a huge fan to be honest, was thinking of ember tetras and platinum tetras or a shoal of galaxy rasboras-stunning!

Most reactions

Back