Place Your Bets

well ... Akasha is feeling very down trodden.

Today I decided to clean out the fry tank ... do a water change etc and see how many cories I actually had. 

I decided to catch the baby tetra first and see if I could sex it. Took me a while to catch it but seconds to sex it - blue eyes and the beginnings of a tail extension growning = Male.

As for cories .... total count? = 0. Yes you read that right. Zero, none, zilch, not even a body 

So, the tank is now empty. The tetra has gone to my lovely lfs and into a tank that had some of it's own kind and I came home and emptied the fry tank. The sand is in a bucket and the tank has clean water and the filters sat in to stay wet until I decide what to do next.

Right now ... I give up on breeding cories

Aw :(

Sorry its been a little while for me to reply to this, but I do hope you won't give up altogether in your attempts to breed these lovely wee cories ;)

well right now I have given up but knowing me it'll only take for me to wake up to eggs all over the place to get me going again!!

The fry tank remains empty of fish. It's still got water in to keep the filters wet but that's about it.

Akasha72 said:
The fry tank remains empty of fish. It's still got water in to keep the filters wet but that's about it.

ohmy.png

Blasphemy!

An empty tank thats running without any beautiful little fishies
nugget.gif

tongue2.gif

laugh.png

yeah, I know but think of the savings on electricity!! I am a Yorkshire lass thee know's

I'm in shock!! You know how I'm always saying I never see my melini cories ... well tonight I've seen all three!! Two are sat in view on the right side of the tank and the third is swimming about! I'm trying to get photographic evidence cos I don't actually believe it my own eyes!

And the reason I'm posting .... my panda's are looking a bit frisky. I've got a male and female darting about together .... I'll post if I have anything to report 
whistling.gif

nothing to report. Guess they were just happy and playing

well this thread is about to get interesting .... I've got a video up-loading and all with be revealed very soon *bounce*

okay, so the video threw up an error and won't upload to photobucket so I guess I'll have to just tell you all.

So today I bought two new melini cories. I chose them both and hoped I got at least one female as the original 3 were one female and 2 males. The two new one's have spent the afternoon investigating the tank and then tonight they got together and started zooming around. At first I thought they were just playing but then I noticed it was more than play! I have a male and a female and the male was offering himself for spawning to the female!! They only went in my tank at half past 2 this afternoon and by 8pm they're showing signs of breeding 
ohmy.png

So this thread is about to get interesting. I'm going to be getting eggs from both the panda's and now the melini and then there's the smudge-spots which appear to be 2 females and a male.

Watch this space 
laugh.png

Akasha72 said:
okay, so the video threw up an error and won't upload to photobucket so I guess I'll have to just tell you all.

So today I bought two new melini cories. I chose them both and hoped I got at least one female as the original 3 were one female and 2 males. The two new one's have spent the afternoon investigating the tank and then tonight they got together and started zooming around. At first I thought they were just playing but then I noticed it was more than play! I have a male and a female and the male was offering himself for spawning to the female!! They only went in my tank at half past 2 this afternoon and by 8pm they're showing signs of breeding 
ohmy.png

So this thread is about to get interesting. I'm going to be getting eggs from both the panda's and now the melini and then there's the smudge-spots which appear to be 2 females and a male.

Watch this space 
laugh.png

Might be worth considering putting them into the breeder tank... just to see if you can have more success.

well I've not woken up to any eggs but they were definitely showing spawning behaviour. They calmed down now and are just investigating things a bit more. Unfortunately they've not helped to tempt my other 3 out of hiding which is what I was hoping they'd do. Maybe in time they will. 

As for putting them in a breeder tank - well I only have my little 18x12" tank and I think it would be cruel to move them from a 4ft tank to that! Plus I gotta catch em and that'll be impossible!

For now I'll just wait it out and see if I wake up to eggs and then we can all play a guessing game of who's to blame!

Akasha72 said:
well I've not woken up to any eggs but they were definitely showing spawning behaviour. They calmed down now and are just investigating things a bit more. Unfortunately they've not helped to tempt my other 3 out of hiding which is what I was hoping they'd do. Maybe in time they will. 

As for putting them in a breeder tank - well I only have my little 18x12" tank and I think it would be cruel to move them from a 4ft tank to that! Plus I gotta catch em and that'll be impossible!

For now I'll just wait it out and see if I wake up to eggs and then we can all play a guessing game of who's to blame!

Well, the best way to maximize viable eggs is to keep them away from extra mouths... so having them in a 'breeding' tank is a solid way to go about it.  IF you only keep them there for a brief period... condition them to breed with live foods and water changes, it could be done very quickly and they could be put back into the main tank in less than a week or so.   This wouldn't be a lifelong exile or anything.  :lol:  

I've been thinking about this breeding thing today and I've actually realised something. When I got my harlequins they did the same thing as the cories did last night - 6 hours after being added to my tank they spawned - or showed spawning behaviour as I never had any eggs hatch.

When I thought about it I realised that my tank runs at pH 6.5 but the lfs pH is much higher at about 7.5. I can't help thinking that the drop in pH value is causing them to attempt to spawn. It doesn't work the other way round though. My tap pH is higher at 7.4 but a large water change doesn't bring on a spawn in any of them. 

Most reactions

Back