Ph Dropping

Aqua Tom

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am a bit concerned.

My PH is dropping during my fishless cycle. It has gone from 8.2 to 7.5 in three days. Should I worry & if so what do I do about it?

Do you have plants in there?

It is not uncommon for this to happen. I personally would not worry and would assume that once the tank is cycled (and planted?), the pH will be between 6.5 and 7.0. If you haven't decided on the stock yet, I would start thinking about keeping a South American community (bogwood, tetras, SA cichlids, plants, etc).

In practice, a lower pH means that the tank will take slightly longer to cycle.

All i have plantwise is two mossballs & some riccia, these have only been in the tank for 4-5 days, the rest are artificial plants. Funny you should say about a SA tank as that is exactly what I had in mind.

bicarb will bring it back
up again you need to speak
to water drop on how much
to add

Plants normally cause the pH to drop :) SA community is, in my opinion™, is one of the best "generic" set-ups. I personally dislike pick’n’mix’n’stuff-as-many-species-in-as-possible tanks, so always suggest something more themed as I find that the fish seem "happier" in that sort of set-up ^_^

Actually, Aqua Tom, how far are you through the cycle?

up again
This is not good if Aqua Tom is close to the end of the cycle, and planning to have a software tank.
But if it is still the start of the cycle, then this will speed up at least the first part of it.
Towards the end, it is worth letting the pH drop so that it is ready for softwater fish.

Plants normally cause the pH to drop :) SA community is, in my opinion™, is one of the best "generic" set-ups. I personally dislike pick’n’mix’n’stuff-as-many-species-in-as-possible tanks, so always suggest something more themed as I find that the fish seem "happier" in that sort of set-up ^_^

Actually, Aqua Tom, how far are you through the cycle?

up again
This is not good if Aqua Tom is close to the end of the cycle, and planning to have a software tank.
But if it is still the start of the cycle, then this will speed up at least the first part of it.
Towards the end, it is worth letting the pH drop so that it is ready for softwater fish.

i am just starting third stage cycling.

Your going to be doing a down to substrate water change before adding any fish anyway so adding bicarb shouldn't be an issue if you want too. I was advised 1.5 teaspoons per 50l to buffer my water and bring the ph up. 7.5 is still fine for the bacteria to function effectiely though it's when you start getting closer to 6 that your in danger of stalling your cycle.

i also told him to seek advice from
waterdrop as well how come that never made it
in to your quote

Because that was not the part that I was replying to.

Seeking advice from waterdrop is always good and I have nothing to add to that.

not yours but it was mine
and part of the main quote
and without that part it makes
that it makes out that i give bad
information. which i told him to seek advice

I do not think it is fair to assume that someone seeking advice will read only the last post in the thread and ignore all the posts above it.

I do not think it is fair to assume that someone seeking advice will read only the last post in the thread and ignore all the posts above it.

but some people do and that's how people
jump to conclusions
if your going to quote some one
use all the quote

up again.

Follwoing on from your message Biff...

I think the quote was cut in order for KittyKat to concentrate on the important part of the quote. The knowledge. She directly responded to the first half of the quote to add her views.
KittyKat must have felt no need to reinforce the suggestion of seeking Waterdrop's advice, which is fine. As well all know Waterdrops input will be very helpful if it comes.

I don't think it's misquoting Biff, it's lets say 'short quoting'

James.

Thanks for the advice, I have PM'd WD about my cycle stats so I am sure he will pick up on the PH drop.

Your going to be doing a down to substrate water change before adding any fish anyway so adding bicarb shouldn't be an issue if you want too. I was advised 1.5 teaspoons per 50l to buffer my water and bring the ph up. 7.5 is still fine for the bacteria to function effectiely though it's when you start getting closer to 6 that your in danger of stalling your cycle.

Yea, thats my concern, i dont want the cycle to stall so if it gets to 6.5ish i will have to take action. untill then I will monitor it closely.

Most reactions

Back